Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Epson R2880 Continuous Ink System

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

PhilN
PhilN  3
22 Apr 2012 - 10:18 PM

Hi everyone,

I have an Epson R2880 printer, and have always used genuine Epson inks, but have always wondered about the continuous ink systems available since being at the Focus on Imaging show a couple of years ago and seeing a demonstration.

The problem is more exasperated on the R2880 because it seems to use ink fast possibly due to the small on board tanks.

Has anyone had any experience of continuous ink, and if so what was the outcome and quality of the prints. Also if any good what type of ink, dye or pigment, and where did you get it from.

Many thanks for your help
Phil

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
22 Apr 2012 - 10:18 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

sausage
sausage  9228 forum posts United Kingdom
23 Apr 2012 - 9:02 AM

I have had the Permajet CIS installed in my Epson 1400 since last June. Firstly the prints are very good and the colours are fine I use Permajet paper as well. I use it to make prints for the club competitions.

The system is not without its problems. Initially it worked great but then after a few months I had problems with clogged heads and had to clean them pretty regularly. Earlier this year I just couldn't get one of the cartridges to print, I spoke to the Permajet tech guy and he was very helpful and in the end he sent me a replacement cartidge set.

All is fine now. In the manual it says to shut of the ink supply if you are not going to use the printer for three days or more but I found that leaving them on all the time was better.

It has probably saved me a fortune in ink and has paid for the system. Recommend? Yes to save on ink cost but can give lots of problems and can be very frustrating.

Good luck
Peter

darranl
darranl  5318 forum posts England
23 Apr 2012 - 10:58 AM

I don't use continuous ink but I do use third party ink - one thing I have found recently is that if you are going to be consistently using the same paper having ICC profiles generated for your printer, paper, ink combo is relatively inexpensive.

Chivers
Chivers  2 United Kingdom
23 Apr 2012 - 2:48 PM

I bought the permajet cis at focus a couple of years ago for my 2880,prints came out fine when it was working,but most of the time it didnt.the tubes keep getting tangled under the printer cover,makes the printer make such a noise you are sure its broke.contacted permajet about problems but never recived a reply,chucked the whole lot in the bin in the end.i know epson inks are expensive but you get what you pay for.very bad customer service from permajet.

ikett
ikett  3329 forum posts England
23 Apr 2012 - 3:29 PM

I used to have a CIS on an R1900, the print quality was super, tended to clog nozzles if not used, the dealer advised not to switch the printer off, no problems after that.

Sadly something failed on the paper feed, couldn't find another printer but sold the dead one and the CIS on flea bay for decent money.

The point is, if you go CIS before the warranty runs out youv'e blown the warranty, if you go CIS after how long will the printer last?

I think Epson are very active re cheap ink be it CIS or copy ink tanks, I know of printers saying waste ink tank full (and wont print), strip the printer down it's not full,
early models could be reset later ones it seems to be more difficult CSS won't touch them.

I can understand to some point that OE inks are more [ridiculously so] expensive, the printers are alegded to be sold for less than the manufacturing cost,
and they rely on ink sales to make money or so i've read, like many others I am looking at other companies for printing I have a Canon 9500 for high end prints; but I think that is going.

Sorry about the rant, bring back film with proper printing.

Dave_Canon
23 Apr 2012 - 3:47 PM

You need to cost the alternatives based on your consumption of ink. I print about 70 near A3 prints per year on my R2880 and it would be 4 years before a CIS was cheaper and, if my printer failed after a couple of years, it would cost more. As my 2880 is already 3 years old it is not worth it for me. Similarly I have also calculated that the 3880 woudl not have worked out cheaper even over 6 years.

Dave

dcash29
dcash29  81898 forum posts England
23 Apr 2012 - 3:59 PM

You can purchase a decent CIS system for 130 with 800ml of ink inc.

ikett
ikett  3329 forum posts England
23 Apr 2012 - 4:00 PM

Exactly what I meant,

Quote: As my 2880 is already 3 years old it is not worth it for me. Similarly I have also calculated that the 3880 woudl not have worked out cheaper even over 6 years.

but much better explained!

Draig37
Draig37  7248 forum posts Wales
23 Apr 2012 - 8:22 PM

had the Fotospeed CIS on my 2880 for ages - brilliant it was. Now I have the 3000, I use their new cartridge system - well worth it too. No longer worry about ink costs/running out etc etc - just enjoy my printing.

PhilN
PhilN  3
23 Apr 2012 - 9:56 PM

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the many comments regarding my query on continuous ink for my 2880. The printer is very good, two and a half years old so out of warranty, but just have to look at the damn thing and it needs more ink, at 10 per cartridge x poss 9 inks, starts to get expensive. I have heard in the past about inks blocking tubes / heads, but i've also heard somewhere that a printer should be either used daily, or set on a timer to turn on and off each day to reduce such problems.

Many thanks again for the good responses, it now gives me something to think on before committing.

Phil Grin

KenTaylor
KenTaylor e2 Member 92972 forum postsKenTaylor vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
24 Apr 2012 - 3:07 PM

Worth bearing in mind where the printer is kept as a warm dry room, or even hot in summer, will not help matters,

PhilN
PhilN  3
24 Apr 2012 - 9:58 PM

Yes very true ken, along with not being used on a daily basis. thanks for the comment, phil

Dave_Canon
30 Apr 2012 - 5:18 PM

I keep my 2880 in a dry warm room but the only time a head became blocked was during a 6 week dry spell some of which I was away so the printer was not used at all. I was able to unblock the head using Magic Bullet and have not had a problem since. Epson claimed that you only need to use the printer monthly unles it is exceptionally low humidity. I do tend to switch it on every 10 days or so if I have not actually printed anything but switching on every day would be very excessive and waste a lot of ink.

Dave

PhilN
PhilN  3
30 Apr 2012 - 9:53 PM

Hi dave,

Thanks for that comment. I must say that currently the printer only uses genuine ink and have not had any problems. But i'm trying to see what problems could be encountered if I did change the system to CIS. Is your printer using genuine inks?

Many thanks
Phil

dcash29
dcash29  81898 forum posts England
1 May 2012 - 12:09 AM

If you do look at a cis system, make sure the cartridges reset themselves and dont require a manual reset on the printer.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.