Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Epson Stylus Photo R3000 at Focus On Imaging 2011

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    joshwa
    joshwa ePHOTOzine Staff 4602 forum postsjoshwa vcard United Kingdom
    8 Mar 2011 - 11:47 AM

Epson had their new Epson Stylus Photo R3000 on display - the printer lets you change the ink cartridges in the middle of printing a photo for example by pausing the print, and then when the cartridge is replaced it carries on printing without affecting the quality of the print. The last photo shows the Adobe bridge software that lets you use continuous rolls of paper without having to calculate the settings yourself, and also has a "dropbox" - Epson were doing demonstrations and showing example prints:

It's main features are:
    25.9ml ink cartridges (larger than the R2880 that it replaces)
    Epson UltraChrome K3 ink with vivid magenta - extremely wide colour gamut especially blues and purples
    Pictbridge
    Epson LUT technology - for smooth gradations and professional print quality
    New front in / front out paper path works to dramatically ease media handling - prints on card
    Design and print your own CD/DVD labels
    Colour control panel (tells you how to change ink for example)
    Wireless LAN standard
    Roll paper support
    Automatica switching for photo black / matte black ink change
    Hi-speed USB and ethernet
    Min. ink droplet size 2.0pl

epson-r3000-new--1---custom-.jpg

epson-r3000-new--2---custom-.jpg

epson-r3000-new--3---custom-.jpg

epson-r3000-new--4---custom-.jpg

epson-r3000-new--5---custom-.jpg

epson-r3000-new--6---custom-.jpg

Last Modified By joshwa at 8 Mar 2011 - 8:29 PM
    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    8 Mar 2011 - 11:47 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
    8 Mar 2011 - 12:26 PM

Quote: Epson had their new Epson Stylus Photo R3000 on display - the printer lets you change the ink cartridges in the middle of printing a photo for example by pausing the print, and then when the cartridge is replaced it carries on printing without affecting the quality of the print.

That is useful - but it is by no means new.

My old Epson R1900 does that and so does the R2880 which the R3000 will be replacing.

Given that I am doing more and more monochrome stuff nowadays, the alleged monochrome performance of this new printer could be an attraction if the price comes down sufficiently.

I also have not yet seen computed ink costs for, say, A3+ prints. Hopefully the larger ink cartridges will allow some "economies of scale" to be passed on to the consumer (as well as wasting less link in frequent cartridge changes).

Last Modified By User_Removed at 8 Mar 2011 - 12:28 PM
    jken
    jken  81672 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Mar 2011 - 12:56 PM

I picked up the 3000 info for a mate and that very print of the girl with the tussled hair, in picture 4. Have to say the output is superb, i run a 3800 and the 3000 compares very well.

joshwa
    8 Mar 2011 - 8:33 PM

They were saying that the 3000 uses the same inks / ink technology as the more expensive Epson printers, so you should in principal be getting the same professional print quality from the R3000. The print quality to me - especially black and white was very impressive. The black and white photos on display were so good, it reminded me of the sort of blacks you get when you do your own film development / processing in a dark room.

brian1208
    brian1208 e2 Member 1110309 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Mar 2011 - 10:07 PM

I had a long chat with one of the Epson reps and he cleared up a few points for me. It does look a cracking machine and the prints on display were excellent quality.

One downer is that, unlike the 3880 the "ullage tray" (not sure what the official term is) is not user servicable so once full the printer to go back to Epson for service.

He rated the 3000 as a top of the range "Hobbyist" machine but recommended I got the 3880 for my semi-pro use (he made some comment about the service rating of the two machines and seemed to be saying that the 3000 would not be best for fairly high volume / regular use)

I'm almost convinced but will wait to see some "Real-life" test reviews.

(Isn't it good to have the choices though - Epson 2880, 3000, 3880 and the canon 9500 mk 2,all excellent products)

joshwa
    20 May 2011 - 1:16 PM

Full review now online - hows this for a "real-life" test? Wink
    http://www.ephotozine.com/article/epson-stylus-photo-r3000-a3--printer-review-16...

johnboy22
    johnboy22  7 United Kingdom
    12 Jun 2011 - 10:47 AM

By all accounts so far this is a highly capable printer and one I am interested in. The only thing that puts me off is the ink cost which seems very high, is this because the printer is fairly new? or is all Epson ink very expensive?. I haven't owned an Epson printer before so I don't know.

justin c
    justin c  104528 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
    12 Jun 2011 - 10:57 AM

Quote: The only thing that puts me off is the ink cost which seems very high, is this because the printer is fairly new? or is all Epson ink very expensive?

Unfortunately all Epson ink is extortionately priced.

It's worth taking into account how much printing you're likely to do and working out just what the running costs are before taking the plunge.

I was just about to shell out for an Epson 3880, but I'm in two minds after working out running costs. As much as I love printing, the costs involved really do equate to daylight robbery, IMHO, and I begrudge being ripped off by Epson.
    My way of thinking was; 1000 for a 3880. 9 cartridges at 48 each = 432, which according to Epson, should be used within 6 months of installation. The printer is built to last at least 5 years. So that equates to 3880.00 for 9 sets of 9 cartridges (that's taking into account 1 set that's supplied with the printer), plus the price of the printer = 4880.00. That's before you've even purchased a single sheet of paper. Bearing in mind that A2 sized paper can set you back over 150 for just 25 sheets of a half decent "fine art" type paper. Goodness knows how much paper (and 1000's you would get through in 5 years).
    When looking at it that way, it makes for one VERY, VERY expensive hobby.

Last Modified By justin c at 12 Jun 2011 - 11:18 AM
    brian1208
    brian1208 e2 Member 1110309 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
    12 Jun 2011 - 11:51 AM

Quote: When looking at it that way, it makes for one VERY, VERY expensive hobby.

couldn't agree more, unless you are passionate about print making I believe that its much more sensible to get your prints produced commercially (some of our club members use DScolour labs and produce excellent competition prints in this way)

The only way I can afford to print my own is by selling as many as possible of them, which covers the costs + a little bit left over for the taxman & new kit. Takes up a lot of time though!

By the way, I think that you can extend
    Quote: Unfortunately all Epson ink is extortionately priced.

to ALL printer inks + Fine Art papers

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.