Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Epson SX438W ink problem

Paul65 6 258 England
21 Aug 2012 9:39PM
Help.
Recently bought the Epson SX438W printer and while using the inks sold with the printer it was fine. Since i've needed to change inks (blue, cyan, yellow) they don't seem to feed through. I'm using Epson inks and have tried all the usual head cleaning and routine maintenance. The only ink that appears on the nozzle check is black, the one i've not yet changed.

To me it looks like a fault and a return to the shop, unless anyone knows of something I'm not doing.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

robthecamman 3 1.4k United Kingdom
21 Aug 2012 9:53PM
from when i had an epson the first time i changed inks i missed a bit of tape on the inks i should have peeled off that didnt let the ink through uv not done similar have you sounds odd inks not being registered
Paul65 6 258 England
21 Aug 2012 10:01PM
Tapes been removed Wink
monstersnowman 9 1.7k 1 England
22 Aug 2012 6:19AM
Every time I read one of these stories along with my own terrible experiences (blocked nozzles - clean - emptying/wasting ink, replace one cartridge, recharge all cartridges, another now needs replacing, replace that one, recharge all ink, another needs replacing now, and so on and so on and so on ..) it confirms to me that printing from pro labs is a no-brainer. Better quality, a come back on bad quality, no capital investment, no consumables, no repair costs, no equipment upgrades etc etc etc .. I have an r2800 (almost unused - and I mean almost unused !!! - not one single a4 or above sized image printed) with the original inks in and a full set of original cartridges to put in and I have hardly done any prints and I need to replace some .. I just know that when I replace one and recharge, another will need replacing and on and on .. I will then end up with no actual prints but a full set of new cartridges that are depleted from several recharges after each ink cartridge change (unless I ditch numerous part full cartridges all at once) ... and a pretty awful expectation of lifespan ... so I really have not bothered to print anything from it for exhibition. Whereas I have had dirt cheap, very fast, top quality very large prints from labs with no hassle and no desk space used for a printer ... why did I ever bother to buy a A3+ printer in the first place ??? On the flip side - I LOVE my DELL colour laser printer that came with enough toner to last a lifetime for around 100 that produces superb fine colour proof images on the most awful copy paper that are far better than any inkjet (which would produce monet style splodges on cheap paper) and has no issues with drying up, intermittent use, etc etc .. dirt cheap, reliable, razor sharp, happy days :o)
22 Aug 2012 8:22AM
its a hard life Smile
22 Aug 2012 9:48AM
its either a machine fault or refill problem
icphoto 13 1.5k England
22 Aug 2012 11:36AM
Take the inks out, clean the contacts with a soft cloth, replace them and start the priming process, print a test pattern to see if any are blocked, clean as necessary (through the software - not a cloth!). Sometimes you might have to do this cleaning a couple of times, yes it wastes ink but it usually sorts the problem. If you cannot resolve the problem, take it back. Good luck.Grin

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.