Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

ePz adding incorrect info onto exif

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    User_Removed
    5 Jan 2013 - 7:54 PM

Whose idea was it to try to generate a 35mm "equivalent" for lens sizes based on exif data?

It's wrong. It wouldn't even matter which EOS body I used it would still be wrong because a 24 lens on a 35mm camera would still behave like a 24! Grin

05-01-2013-19-48-10.jpg

People get confused enough about crop factors as it is without this feature "helping" Wink

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    5 Jan 2013 - 7:54 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

MikeRC
    MikeRC e2 Member 93505 forum postsMikeRC vcard United Kingdom
    5 Jan 2013 - 8:31 PM

Quote: People get confused enough about crop factors as it is without this feature "helping"

....you got that right Chris....glad I'm not the only one in the dark Smile

arhb
    arhb e2 Member 72327 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom68 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Jan 2013 - 9:06 PM

Loving the page 'curl' Chris, however the corners of the drop shadow look a bit too rounded.

User_Removed
    5 Jan 2013 - 9:07 PM

That's due to the bulb and lampshade I use in here...

Ade_Osman
    Ade_Osman e2 Member 114521 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Jan 2013 - 10:32 PM

You want to see the EXIF data my Stealth Cam generates Chris, I think EPZ's system is completely baffled by it Tongue

Ade

lobsterboy
    lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014170 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Jan 2013 - 10:39 PM

That's strange Chris - my 5DmkII and 24-105 don't show a 35mm equivalent.

I did some Googling and other sites where people report a similar problem say it is due to the software/processing the user used.
    No idea if that is true though...

paulcookphotography

Website (and not just EPZ) exif data can be very misleading, and not just focal length

But really the crop factor/equivalent isnt all that hard to understand.

A Full frame digital (or 35mm film) camera records the focal range of the lens, a Dx (or whatever crop sensor) crops an image to the point where if you compare a full frame image to a crop frame sensor image, the latter would appear to be a longer focal length (or equivalent to one)

But now that mega pixels get higher and higher, more and more images get cropped in editing so what Exif says is rarely what you see. Similarly with esposure, aperture, etc

Last Modified By paulcookphotography at 6 Jan 2013 - 4:14 AM
    User_Removed
    6 Jan 2013 - 9:29 AM

Lob, site is deffo doing it, for example

Paul, thanks but my point has nothing to do with how misleading EXIF data can or can't be or to do with how crop factors work. My complaint is that the site is taking accurate data and making it inaccurate. What good reason is there for doing that?

lobsterboy
    lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014170 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Jan 2013 - 9:42 AM

Quote: Lob, site is deffo doing it, for example

But it hasn't done it here.

I don't know if Epz is using the same library or not but according to this it could be a bug in the camera firmware.

arhb
    arhb e2 Member 72327 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom68 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Jan 2013 - 11:10 AM

I'm also not getting the '35mm equivalent' info coming up in my epz exif data.
    What's more, I've recently stopped using ps 'save for web' option, as that process was over-saturating my images, leaving me to readjust after process.
    I have now made an alternative action, where the saturation problem has gone, but....
    epz exif data now knows the camera and lens I use without me filling that info in manually, when I upload to epz.

JJGEE
    JJGEE  96339 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Jan 2013 - 11:18 AM

And it is not doing the 35mm equivalent for my full frame Sony A900

paulcookphotography

Quote: My complaint is that the site is taking accurate data and making it inaccurate. What good reason is there for doing that?

I wouldnt take it personally, haha.

But yeah, i agree that it could cause confusion even if the Exif you upload is 'accurate'. However, i dont really see the need for Exif info to be uploaded at all (other than perhaps what camera/lens was used) as unless an image is posted without any editing or cropping, the Exif isnt accurate. If anything it can be used as a very rough guide, but rarely gives any helpful info to anyone other than the uploader of the image (who obviously has the original image on their hard-drive and knows everything that went into a shot)

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.