Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

EPZ Advertising bombardment

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

celestun
celestun e2 Member 1029 forum postscelestun vcard United Kingdom14 Constructive Critique Points
15 Jun 2010 - 11:13 PM

Anyone on here getting over-saturated by the advertising on this site?

It's almost impossible to look at anything without being bombarded by ugly ads. As a photographer I think it's not really the ideal environment to look at images!

We pay membership fees, which I'm sure Pete will tell us are kept incredibly low thanks to the advertising, but how about letting e2 members have a bit more room to see their images?

Also how about some finer controls regarding the kinds of ads we get sent to our email accounts? Newsletter on/off doesn't take into account the ads.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
15 Jun 2010 - 11:13 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

minicooper
15 Jun 2010 - 11:22 PM

I don't mind the advertisting never been a promblem perhaps you should check your pop up blocker something does n't seem right Wink

StrayCat
StrayCat  1014492 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
15 Jun 2010 - 11:23 PM

I don't get any ads in my email from Epz.

looboss
looboss  73124 forum posts United Kingdom7 Constructive Critique Points
15 Jun 2010 - 11:24 PM

EPZ needs the advertising to pay for the mods wages I guess! LOL!

celestun
celestun e2 Member 1029 forum postscelestun vcard United Kingdom14 Constructive Critique Points
15 Jun 2010 - 11:31 PM

Did you get the Nikon Nation ad?

discreetphoton
discreetphoton Site Moderator 93450 forum postsdiscreetphoton vcard United Kingdom20 Constructive Critique Points
15 Jun 2010 - 11:33 PM

Quote: Did you get the Nikon Nation ad?

The one that included the link for turning off the messages? Wink (Site PM's)

Last Modified By discreetphoton at 15 Jun 2010 - 11:35 PM
RogBrown
RogBrown  72997 forum posts England10 Constructive Critique Points
15 Jun 2010 - 11:34 PM

Quote: Did you get the Nikon Nation ad?

Nope.

celestun
15 Jun 2010 - 11:36 PM

As I said before Newsletter On/Off is very limited... newsletter has become ad letter!

celestun
15 Jun 2010 - 11:37 PM

Ok so everyone's happy with advertising... I get it!

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012553 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
15 Jun 2010 - 11:37 PM

Quote: As I said before Newsletter On/Off is very limited

What do you suggest then?

celestun
15 Jun 2010 - 11:41 PM

How about keeping the newsletter about the site and not gradually sneaking more and more ads into it? If people really love ads in their inbox they should be able to opt in or out exclusively for them!

But I think the bigger issue here is not the inbox ads... it's the way the website is getting cluttered... very very cluttered with ads!

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318434 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
15 Jun 2010 - 11:45 PM

Quote: it's the way the website is getting cluttered... very very cluttered with ads!

We don't have any more ads than we had three years ago Tim...I wonder if something's gone wrong on your display of the site. Can you send me a screengrab of the offending page? If there's an error I'll get the IT guys to fix it.

celestun
15 Jun 2010 - 11:57 PM

Thanks for the quick response as always Pete!

The newsletter has definitely got more ads than three years ago... and 6 years ago the site was a visual delight compared to this. There's nothing wrong with my display or browser, I have a big banner at the top and another at the right with dozens of ads. Besides I noticed you have Nikon Nation attached to anyone that posts an image with a Nikon lens. It's all the little accumulative ad things that just make it less pleasant to browse the site.

At the moment I have Battery Vault flashing away at me on the right, Lee Filters, MPB, Verbatim, Tamron in huge and Dell even bigger on top.

I will be amazed if I'm the only one bothered by it all!

Cheers,

Tim

User_Removed
16 Jun 2010 - 3:56 AM

We have talked about ads on here a lot and I guess they are not going anywhere. You can block them with software if you like.

What there seems to be now is an increase flashing ads that sit on the right hand side of the screen. I guess with more adverts the advertisers need to be seen somehow amongst everything else or the ad has no chance of working.

That Dell one is really bad, Parks, Lee, PB, BFP, Battery volt, Crumpler, Tamron, GE and the Dell one. That' 9 flashing adverts on one page.

As for the newsletter, I forgot I could switch it off but have added it to my spam list.

There are other reasons why I am not renewing my e2 this year but the adverts are amongst them.

StrayCat
StrayCat  1014492 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
16 Jun 2010 - 5:44 AM

It's a Catch 22 situation for the site. D**ned if you do and D**ned if you don't. It would be nice to have an ad-free environment on here, but how would the bills get paid? Many complaints have already been expressed about the 29 pound/$75,000.00 Canadian fee.Wink The only way to do it would be to raise membership fees to cover lost revenue. How many would be willing to pay a fee large enough to support a site with no ads? It's similar to the Vuvuzela situation.Wink

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.