Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

EPZ introduces Nikon Nation! (Sticky Topic)

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114521 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
24 Mar 2013 - 12:37 PM

Quote: The effect of the shutter starting to close has a negligible or nil effect on image sharpness.

It is indeed negligible, but it can be a problem especially if like me when shooting macros you're doing slow exposures using high magnifications x4 or 5 or even higher for example.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
24 Mar 2013 - 12:37 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

petebfrance
24 Mar 2013 - 1:13 PM

Quote: .
so the vibration caused by raising the mirror is replaced by the vibration caused by opening the shutter (presuming it is a focal plane shutter).
Pete
Hi Pete
Just found this old query with no reply.
Your assumption is not quite accurate in that with a conventional DSLR shutter opening and closing vibration follows mirror up vibration.

Hi Len

Gosh - it's a while ago now, but re-reading it I should have said / typed or whatever:
"so the vibration caused by raising the mirror is replaced by the vibration caused by closing the shutter (presuming it is a focal plane shutter),"

although it should be fairly clear from the sequence given in the body:
DSLR cycle:
- raise mirror
- open shutter
- close shutter
- return mirror
the standard mirrorless cycle is:
- close shutter
- open shutter
- close shutter
- open shutter

(Presumably the Live view cycle on a DSLR is the same as the mirrorless cycle)

How true / awful and so on I haven't a clue, just trying to understand the advantages of CSCs, as they seem pretty logical approach to me (I'd just been playing with my old Pentax P30n and marvelling at how loud/vibrational etc. compared to the bridge camera. I have an old Zorki which has a particularly vicious shutter....).

Then I came across 'shuttershock' Sad No free lunch?

I really don't know. There are those who say it's nonsense, those who claim it exists - like this guy using an SLT on a microscope (see 4th paragraph):
Sony SS

Roll on straight digital read-outs from the sensor with no shutter at all......

Last Modified By petebfrance at 24 Mar 2013 - 1:17 PM
petebfrance
24 Mar 2013 - 1:27 PM

But, having typed all that, Len,
many thanks for your comments on the subject. Very throught-provoking.

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114521 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
24 Mar 2013 - 1:44 PM

Quote: like this guy using an SLT on a microscope

That's where I used to get the problem guys, I cured it in the end by actually bolting the microscope to the workbench with some rubber so act as a shock absorber between the bench and the scope. I also used some PTFE tape on the eyepiece/camera mount of the scope as there was some slack in the thread.

Reaperleader
11 Jul 2013 - 1:43 AM

Very good idea. Looking forward to hearing from my fellow Nikonians.

LenShepherd
LenShepherd e2 Member 62489 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
24 Sep 2013 - 7:04 AM

Quote:
It is indeed negligible, but it can be a problem especially if like me when shooting macros you're doing slow exposures using high magnifications x4 or 5 or even higher for example.

One option is to find a way to dim the natural light once focus is good, to use a piece of black card as a front of lens shutter, to lift the card for 1 second, and to manually fire a flash unit during the 1 second.

Madjax
Madjax  2 Greece
4 Dec 2013 - 2:34 PM

Just so I don't have to go through nearly 4 yrs of questions etc etc........when you upload a photo to Ephotozine & your camera is a Nikon and you are signed up to Nikon Nation, do any of your shots go straight into to the monthly comp or do you have to manually enter somewhere else - can you lease advise as I have no idea where to enter? Thanking you all x

tj
tj ePHOTOzine Staff 111944 forum poststj vcard England
4 Dec 2013 - 5:12 PM

Quote: Just so I don't have to go through nearly 4 yrs of questions etc etc........when you upload a photo to Ephotozine & your camera is a Nikon and you are signed up to Nikon Nation, do any of your shots go straight into to the monthly comp or do you have to manually enter somewhere else - can you lease advise as I have no idea where to enter? Thanking you all x

Hi Jacquie,

You can enter the monthly competitions HERE.
Click on the green 'enter competition' button for the ones you' like to enter.

Good luck! Smile

Madjax
Madjax  2 Greece
17 Dec 2013 - 10:00 AM

Thanks TJ - I somehow found a Nikon B & W & then couldn't find any others. - New camera & all excited!!!

JHFoto5
29 May 2014 - 2:48 PM

Great idea, do we get a discount off our next cameras too...............Smile

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.