Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

EPZ introduces Nikon Nation! (Sticky Topic)

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114435 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
24 Mar 2013 - 12:37 PM

Quote: The effect of the shutter starting to close has a negligible or nil effect on image sharpness.

It is indeed negligible, but it can be a problem especially if like me when shooting macros you're doing slow exposures using high magnifications x4 or 5 or even higher for example.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
24 Mar 2013 - 12:37 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

petebfrance
24 Mar 2013 - 1:13 PM

Quote: .
so the vibration caused by raising the mirror is replaced by the vibration caused by opening the shutter (presuming it is a focal plane shutter).
Pete
Hi Pete
Just found this old query with no reply.
Your assumption is not quite accurate in that with a conventional DSLR shutter opening and closing vibration follows mirror up vibration.

Hi Len

Gosh - it's a while ago now, but re-reading it I should have said / typed or whatever:
"so the vibration caused by raising the mirror is replaced by the vibration caused by closing the shutter (presuming it is a focal plane shutter),"

although it should be fairly clear from the sequence given in the body:
DSLR cycle:
- raise mirror
- open shutter
- close shutter
- return mirror
the standard mirrorless cycle is:
- close shutter
- open shutter
- close shutter
- open shutter

(Presumably the Live view cycle on a DSLR is the same as the mirrorless cycle)

How true / awful and so on I haven't a clue, just trying to understand the advantages of CSCs, as they seem pretty logical approach to me (I'd just been playing with my old Pentax P30n and marvelling at how loud/vibrational etc. compared to the bridge camera. I have an old Zorki which has a particularly vicious shutter....).

Then I came across 'shuttershock' Sad No free lunch?

I really don't know. There are those who say it's nonsense, those who claim it exists - like this guy using an SLT on a microscope (see 4th paragraph):
Sony SS

Roll on straight digital read-outs from the sensor with no shutter at all......

Last Modified By petebfrance at 24 Mar 2013 - 1:17 PM
petebfrance
24 Mar 2013 - 1:27 PM

But, having typed all that, Len,
many thanks for your comments on the subject. Very throught-provoking.

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114435 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
24 Mar 2013 - 1:44 PM

Quote: like this guy using an SLT on a microscope

That's where I used to get the problem guys, I cured it in the end by actually bolting the microscope to the workbench with some rubber so act as a shock absorber between the bench and the scope. I also used some PTFE tape on the eyepiece/camera mount of the scope as there was some slack in the thread.

Reaperleader

Very good idea. Looking forward to hearing from my fellow Nikonians.

LenShepherd
LenShepherd e2 Member 62359 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
24 Sep 2013 - 7:04 AM

Quote:
It is indeed negligible, but it can be a problem especially if like me when shooting macros you're doing slow exposures using high magnifications x4 or 5 or even higher for example.

One option is to find a way to dim the natural light once focus is good, to use a piece of black card as a front of lens shutter, to lift the card for 1 second, and to manually fire a flash unit during the 1 second.

Madjax
Madjax  2 Greece
4 Dec 2013 - 2:34 PM

Just so I don't have to go through nearly 4 yrs of questions etc etc........when you upload a photo to Ephotozine & your camera is a Nikon and you are signed up to Nikon Nation, do any of your shots go straight into to the monthly comp or do you have to manually enter somewhere else - can you lease advise as I have no idea where to enter? Thanking you all x

tj
tj ePHOTOzine Staff 111879 forum poststj vcard England
4 Dec 2013 - 5:12 PM

Quote: Just so I don't have to go through nearly 4 yrs of questions etc etc........when you upload a photo to Ephotozine & your camera is a Nikon and you are signed up to Nikon Nation, do any of your shots go straight into to the monthly comp or do you have to manually enter somewhere else - can you lease advise as I have no idea where to enter? Thanking you all x

Hi Jacquie,

You can enter the monthly competitions HERE.
Click on the green 'enter competition' button for the ones you' like to enter.

Good luck! Smile

Madjax
Madjax  2 Greece
17 Dec 2013 - 10:00 AM

Thanks TJ - I somehow found a Nikon B & W & then couldn't find any others. - New camera & all excited!!!

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.