Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

epz slow?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    mex
    mex e2 Member 6mex vcard United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Mar 2012 - 12:01 PM

Hi all, can anyone tell me why epz runs slow and other photo sites run ok? when i click on a thumbnail my pc clicks 10 times or more before the large image appears and the same thing happens
    when i click back, it took 3 hours to go through 18 pages on tuesday and i dont have that much time to spare, can anyone help? i have thought of leaving the site and moving on, as i say i dont have this trouble on other sites when i click on a thumb it goes straight to the large image.
    cheers phil.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    16 Mar 2012 - 12:01 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Overread
    Overread  63746 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Mar 2012 - 12:06 PM

Odd no site performance problems for me. Might help if you raise a ticket with the tech team and provide them with info eg your connection speed, provider, internet software (make and version - details should be under the help tab in the browser window). Chances are it might simply be you need to update or change a property value somewhere which would give you improved performance.

You might also try clearing your web-cache and cookies (might do nothing but it can't hurt to give them a clean-out).

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    FlashBangPicture

Phil it's all good for me browsing wise, no delays at all. No help i know, maybe a local issue ?

Coleslaw
    Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Mar 2012 - 12:09 PM

all ok here too.

NEWDIGIT
    NEWDIGIT  3401 forum posts United Kingdom
    16 Mar 2012 - 12:14 PM

same here all OK

mex
    16 Mar 2012 - 12:28 PM

Cheers alex. appreciate.

rhousham
    rhousham  7432 forum posts United Kingdom
    16 Mar 2012 - 1:30 PM

Yeah, when this kind of stuff happens it's tricky to know what to suggest.
    I would say the clearing your browser cache always a good start.
    Second thing is to disable any add ons that you have could be an issue there.

Finally I would look at just trying a different browser and then just to rule out any sort of foul play would look at just running some anti virus scan rule that out.

Moving outside of your computer I would check your isp's site see if there are any problems with them there then would run a tracert
    http://www.mediacollege.com/internet/troubleshooter/traceroute.html
    this shows the route and any potential speed issues between your computer and the site.

Also try restarting your broadband router.
    A quick google also lets you know the scope of the problem as well - there is a good chance that someone is talking about it on your isp site.

Once you have ruled those out give us a buzz using the report system and give us any information that you have - e.g the pages that you were on and what filters you had etc and we can have a look
    http://www.ephotozine.com/create-report

Generally though it's a problem outside of our domain and we can't do anything about it.
    I hope that gives you a little more information and help.
    We are always willing to help though Smile
    So if you feel unsure about any of those steps or need some more information then give us a report and we can see if we can help you further.

Oh and final suggestion!
    Upgrade your browser and flash!
    At this present time firefox is on 11 - google chrome is auto updating but I think it's on 17 - Internet Explorer is on 9 (if vista or 7) 8 if on xp - safari 6 -for mac 5 elsewhere.
    But if you go to the browsers site they will give you the latest upgrade.
    These upgrades will
    a) Protect your computer from hacks etc
    b) Make pages open quicker
    c) Give you more features
    and much much more!....

Always a good idea to check!
    Richard

mex
    17 Mar 2012 - 2:36 PM

Quote: Yeah, when this kind of stuff happens it's tricky to know what to suggest.
    I would say the clearing your browser cache always a good start.
    Second thing is to disable any add ons that you have could be an issue there.

Finally I would look at just trying a different browser and then just to rule out any sort of foul play would look at just running some anti virus scan rule that out.

Moving outside of your computer I would check your isp's site see if there are any problems with them there then would run a tracert
    http://www.mediacollege.com/internet/troubleshooter/traceroute.html
    this shows the route and any potential speed issues between your computer and the site.

Also try restarting your broadband router.
    A quick google also lets you know the scope of the problem as well - there is a good chance that someone is talking about it on your isp site.

Once you have ruled those out give us a buzz using the report system and give us any information that you have - e.g the pages that you were on and what filters you had etc and we can have a look
    http://www.ephotozine.com/create-report

Generally though it's a problem outside of our domain and we can't do anything about it.
    I hope that gives you a little more information and help.
    We are always willing to help though Smile
    So if you feel unsure about any of those steps or need some more information then give us a report and we can see if we can help you further.

Oh and final suggestion!
    Upgrade your browser and flash!
    At this present time firefox is on 11 - google chrome is auto updating but I think it's on 17 - Internet Explorer is on 9 (if vista or 7) 8 if on xp - safari 6 -for mac 5 elsewhere.
    But if you go to the browsers site they will give you the latest upgrade.
    These upgrades will
    a) Protect your computer from hacks etc
    b) Make pages open quicker
    c) Give you more features
    and much much more!....

Always a good idea to check!
    Richard

Hi richard, thanks for the advice, i opened an account with google chrome and my pc is now running a lot faster thanks, how do i clear the browser cache ? i know very little about computers, thanks again richard.

rhousham
    19 Mar 2012 - 9:46 AM

Hi depends on your browser - I'll add them all in.
    Internet Explorer 9#
    Tools->Internet Options->Browser History->Delete check Temporary Internet Files (you can leave the others checked) and hit delete

Firefox
    Options->Privacy->click the link to clear history->again remove everything and have the cache checked.

Chrome
    Options->Under the Bonnet->Clear browsing data... and again 'empty the cache' have that checked.

Best bet for this kind of stuff is to either
    a) Google it
    b) Click around
    c) Look for a help button

Just for the sake of completeness here is what the different items mean (I'm looking a good chrome here)
    Browsing History
    These are the pages you have visited

Download History
    I assume a list of all the files you have downloaded -delete that (this is like the firefox download window and clear all)

Empty the cache
    When you computer browsers the internet it caches files to do with the site for example on this page my browser will cache the image files, for stuff to do with the style of the page and some javascript which makes the bbcode buttons work.
    It does this so next time it looks at this page it doesn't have to download it all again! Which makes the pages open quicker.

Cookies and other site data
    Cookies are little files stored on your computer which enable sites to remember your settings. For example my username or maybe a preference I have or a shopping cart are the main ones.

Saved passwords
    These are passwords which your browser offers to save such as for this site so you type your username and it automatically puts in the password.

Auto fill form data
    Like passwords but for say your email address, name, addresses thing that you might type in regularly.

There are more but those are the main ones - I hope that helps.

Just back to your problem -
    With the change to Chrome helping you so much I would say that it is a browser problem if you have an attachment to the browser (sorry I don't know which one it is) and it isn't Internet Explorer - (that's a pain to uninstall and reinstall) you could try uninstalling and reinstalling and that might help fix the problem. But if you enjoy Chrome then stick with it Wink

It's a good lightweight browser which is growing it's auto updating as well so it's really good.
    Glad to have helped and if you need anything else let me know.

mex
    19 Mar 2012 - 11:40 AM

Quote: Hi depends on your browser - I'll add them all in.
    Internet Explorer 9#
    Tools->Internet Options->Browser History->Delete check Temporary Internet Files (you can leave the others checked) and hit delete

Firefox
    Options->Privacy->click the link to clear history->again remove everything and have the cache checked.

Chrome
    Options->Under the Bonnet->Clear browsing data... and again 'empty the cache' have that checked.

Best bet for this kind of stuff is to either
    a) Google it
    b) Click around
    c) Look for a help button

Just for the sake of completeness here is what the different items mean (I'm looking a good chrome here)
    Browsing History
    These are the pages you have visited

Download History
    I assume a list of all the files you have downloaded -delete that (this is like the firefox download window and clear all)

Empty the cache
    When you computer browsers the internet it caches files to do with the site for example on this page my browser will cache the image files, for stuff to do with the style of the page and some javascript which makes the bbcode buttons work.
    It does this so next time it looks at this page it doesn't have to download it all again! Which makes the pages open quicker.

Cookies and other site data
    Cookies are little files stored on your computer which enable sites to remember your settings. For example my username or maybe a preference I have or a shopping cart are the main ones.

Saved passwords
    These are passwords which your browser offers to save such as for this site so you type your username and it automatically puts in the password.

Auto fill form data
    Like passwords but for say your email address, name, addresses thing that you might type in regularly.

There are more but those are the main ones - I hope that helps.

Just back to your problem -
    With the change to Chrome helping you so much I would say that it is a browser problem if you have an attachment to the browser (sorry I don't know which one it is) and it isn't Internet Explorer - (that's a pain to uninstall and reinstall) you could try uninstalling and reinstalling and that might help fix the problem. But if you enjoy Chrome then stick with it Wink

It's a good lightweight browser which is growing it's auto updating as well so it's really good.
    Glad to have helped and if you need anything else let me know.

Hi Richard,
    many thanks i know a lot more about my pc than i did 2 days ago, again many thanks,
    cheers phil.

rhousham
    19 Mar 2012 - 11:41 AM

Cheers mex!

Alda
    Alda  146 forum posts United Kingdom27 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Apr 2013 - 2:21 PM

You could also defrag your hard drive - it usually helps speed the PC up a bit GrinGrin

RogBrown
    RogBrown  72997 forum posts England10 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Apr 2013 - 5:11 PM

Quote: You could also defrag your hard drive - it usually helps speed the PC up a bit

That thread was a year old. Didn't think EPZ was that slow. Tongue

Last Modified By RogBrown at 14 Apr 2013 - 5:12 PM
    Alda
    Alda  146 forum posts United Kingdom27 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Apr 2013 - 5:16 PM

Quote: You could also defrag your hard drive - it usually helps speed the PC up a bit
    That thread was a year old. Didn't think EPZ was that slow. Tongue

Oops Tongue. Didn't look at the dates lol, I just found it on someone's profile. Oh well GrinGrin

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.