Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

equal rights

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Draig37
Draig37  7248 forum posts Wales
1 Jul 2012 - 12:03 PM

thought this may be of some interest

http://www.equalityhumanrights.com/news/2012/june/police-must-change-photograph-...

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
1 Jul 2012 - 12:03 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Andy_Cundell
1 Jul 2012 - 12:50 PM

Makes sense to me, if your innocent, why do they need to know what you look like.

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114484 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
1 Jul 2012 - 1:06 PM

Oh right and I can see the Police doing that, just like they do with with DNA samples if you are proved innocent........Fat chance of this ever happening either!

Ade

monstersnowman

They can have my picture ... I don't care.

User_Removed
1 Jul 2012 - 2:36 PM

I've got a photograph of the Policewoman who took her clothes off at my friend's son's stag party last week. Does "Equal Rights" mean that I can't keep that either?

Overread
Overread  63746 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
1 Jul 2012 - 2:50 PM

Quote: Makes sense to me, if your innocent, why do they need to know what you look like.

It's probably fine if you're innocent and your photo was just taken as part of an investigation, or you were just in the background of another shot. However its probably a nightmare for them if they are working on a case and things enter that grey area where they "know" you're guilty of something, but they can't muster enough evidence to "prove" your guilty of it.

That said I would expect that this guideline applies only to completed cases and not on-going, but I can see the police not liking if if they have repeat offenders/suspects who keep slipping the net (since if they were not convicted they'll have to destroy the photos)

monstersnowman

Quote: Makes sense to me, if your innocent, why do they need to know what you look like.

'Innocent' also covers people involved in serious criminal activity who haven't been convicted ... So they may well have a very good reason for wanting to know what certain 'innocent' people look like.

You could also reverse the quote to ask, if you are innocent why would you not want them to know what you look like ... It's just as reasonable a question. Also, being able to see what people look like may help them to clear people from their enquiries and to avoid mis-identifying people.

User_Removed
1 Jul 2012 - 4:45 PM

Equally, if you're innocent, why would you be worried about them having your photo?

It's the old ID Cards argument again. ID Cards really only worried people who thought they had something to hide or who had dishonest or devious intentions (or who had been suckered by the Daily Mail). But, equally, what good would they do? I can use either my bus pass or my driving licence if I need to prove that I am over 65 in order to buy booze or whatever.

User_Removed
1 Jul 2012 - 5:14 PM

Quote: It's the old ID Cards argument again. ID Cards really only worried people who thought they had something to hide or who had dishonest or devious intentions

Amen.

Quote: I can use either my bus pass or my driving licence if I need to prove that I am over 65 in order to buy booze or whatever.

You actually applied for your Bus Pass!! Wink

llareggub
llareggub  3664 forum posts United Kingdom
1 Jul 2012 - 6:11 PM

Quote: It's the old ID Cards argument again. ID Cards really only worried people who thought they had something to hide or who had dishonest or devious intentions (or who had been suckered by the Daily Mail).

What a load of old tosh, ID cards and the benefits of ID cards was questioned at the highest levels of legislative procedure and I'm pretty certain that they were not all hiding something or were avid readers of the Daily Mail... I have never read the Daily Mail and aside from being told to move on outside a football match I have also never had any brushes with the law yet I was firmly against ID cards!

Those that claim that it is only folk that have something to be worried about that need to worry only need to look at history both distant and recent to prove to themselves that governments and the machinations of government do not only chase the "bad guy"!

If someone has not been tried of a crime in a court of law then they are by the very definition of the law innocent and as such the judiciary have no business retaining any information relating to that person in any way shape or form.

macroman
macroman  1115312 forum posts England
1 Jul 2012 - 6:18 PM

Precisely!

Anyone who totally trusts any government, needs to remove their rose tinted specs!

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314948 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
1 Jul 2012 - 6:25 PM

Lol I wonder if the police are now going to delete the picture and prints of my 14 year old daughter Smile

RichardN00
1 Jul 2012 - 6:37 PM

Forget ID cards, Portable fingerprint scanner to be adopted by the Met

User_Removed
1 Jul 2012 - 6:44 PM

Sooner we are all microchipped the better...im sick of having to dump drinks ,cough mixture and other such liquids in order to take a 50 flight to the UK...and as for the waiting and attitude from "security staff" at airports...sooner the better...oh and missing children, illegal immigrants and unidentified bodies...and being treated as a terrorist suspect, criminal whatever...bring it on....!

Last Modified By User_Removed at 1 Jul 2012 - 6:48 PM
Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314948 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
1 Jul 2012 - 7:08 PM

Quote: Sooner we are all microchipped the better

Not much use if your blown into a million pieces Smile

In years to come I dont think we will need fingerprints, chips or ID cards.

DNA test would take moments instead of weeks or months Smile

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 1 Jul 2012 - 7:09 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.