Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Equestrian photography

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    cf73
    cf73  9232 forum posts Australia
    2 Feb 2014 - 11:25 PM

G'day all,
    I attended my first equestrian (practice) event yesterday to watch and photography my partner in her first event in a long time.

I would like to know if there are any major do's and donut's for this type of photography. I have posted up my first image, ISO 1000, f/9.5, 1/1,500th sec, 155mm focal length (using Nikkor 80-200 f/2.8).

I found it very challenging due to the nature of the 'furniture', all the fences and posts plus it was very hard to avoid the background, people and/or buildings and so on.

Any help or suggestions are appreciated, I will be doing this a bit more regularly.

Cheers
    Carl

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    2 Feb 2014 - 11:25 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Migster
    Migster  174 forum posts England
    3 Feb 2014 - 12:17 AM

Carl
    when you say equestrian event what exactly what type of event was your partner competing in? If she is show jumping in an arena you will find it hard to get a clear background. Take time out to find a good vantage point offering good views over a couple of jumps. To cut out the clutter in the back ground think about using a wide aperture. This will reduce the depth of field and allow you to wind down your ISO for better image quality. As a rule of thumb I always try to use the lowest ISO that I can while maintaining the a suitable shutter speed and aperture..

If she intends to do any dressage you will have an empty arena. Dressage riders are very particular about how they and their horses look. Have a look at images in horse magazines to get a feel of what they want to see.

Always try to get the rider looking confident, sitting correctly and not pulling or leaning on the reins. Always try to get the horse in a shape, ( ask your partner ) ears forward, and looking as athletic and powerful as possible.

Cross country riding usually allows you access to jumps away from the crowds. You can usually get to a position where you can choose an uncluttered background.

Whatever discipline your partner follows you can practice at her yard. That way you can get your eye in before you go to an organised event.

Most of all get out there and have lots of fun.
    Good luck and post some of your results.
    John

http://www.flickr.com/photos/harwood-images/sets/

Last Modified By Migster at 3 Feb 2014 - 12:42 AM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    cf73
    cf73  9232 forum posts Australia
    3 Feb 2014 - 12:32 AM

Thanks John,
    She has been practising dressage on the arena where she keeps her horse so I have taken some there.
    But yesterday was a show jumping practice which I think she will do more of.

I was apprehensive of having a very open aperture incase both her horses face and her face were not in focus. Do you recommend going down to f/2.8 if I can? I will try next time.

When she gets a bit more confidant I think she will have a go at cross country, I would really like to try my hand at that.

Thanks for your advice, much appreciated, and yes, it was fun. Much more than I thought it would be and very rewarding once I saw the images.

Cheers

hobbo
    hobbo e2 Member 3772 forum postshobbo vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Feb 2014 - 1:19 PM

Absolutely NO FLASH, would be my golden rule.....all of my grandchildren ride in a variety of events, two take part in dressage. I have discovered the same problems of drab backgrounds indoors, or busy ones out.
    Indoor events require, careful camera settings including high ISO numbers and relatively high shutter speeds to catch any speedy action.

Outdoors, your camera will require setting to suit ambient light, stand where you get the least intrusive backgrounds, fill the frame with your target horse and rider, or include others in part or slightly OOF.

You might be able to request permission to get a little closer to the action, or, find somewhere to get down low or even high up, to vary your viewpoint.

Hobbo

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    • «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.