Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Ereaders, any opinions.

KenTaylor e2
10 3.0k 2 United Kingdom
24 Jan 2009 1:03AM
Curious to know if anyone owns or used one. The price may not be cost effective at present while it does eliminate storing general paperbacks on shelves. I am sorely tempted.
Ken

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
24 Jan 2009 2:30AM
I have 2 e-books on my drive, both instructional. 123di.com and birsdasart.com.

There are lots of audio books available, which you can put on your MP3 player one at a time for your listening pleasure. Thay can be downloaded. I didn't mention Frostwire.com.
Andy80F 11 311 United Kingdom
24 Jan 2009 7:05AM
Just finished an ebook, Edgar Rice Burroughs "A Princcess of Mars" on my iPhone. It was a surprisingly pleasant read even on a relatively small screen, much better than trying to read a novel from a computer screen, and I have downloaded another four ebooks to read. However when the ereaders drop to a realistic price I'll get one of those just for the bigger screen but if I had the spare cash in my pocket now I'd get one even if the price probably is still a bit inflated.

Andy
da_nige 10 1.2k Scotland
24 Jan 2009 10:07AM
My Mum has the Sony and loves it. The battery life is excellent due to no backlight (as is the norm with readers) and her few complaints are very minor.

The software provided is very easy to use and all in all was a good purchase.

She recently took it to the Carribean and saved so much weight in her luggage as she didnt have lots of paper books with her.

Complaints are

1. You don't know when your near the end of a chapter so you cant just flick thru to see like you do with a normal book.

2. The price of the books is a bit high and the Waterstones site is crap at best. She uses ebooks.com to download her books and they are cheaper but are in pdf. WH Smith and Waterstones seem to be the only sites to get epubs. They are both more expensive and harder to navigate round.

If you have any specific questions just ask and I'll get you answers

She (and I ) would highly recommend it.

Neil
ckristoff 10 959 Wales
24 Jan 2009 6:26PM
Friends,

these days it seems there's a gadget for everything!

I've got no problem really, with the idea of an E-reader. I've seen one in my local Sony shop and it would fit in the palm of your hand quite easily.

For me, it wouldn't work, for the same reason, I can't read text on a monitor, not for long periods anyway. If I come across a large article, I need to print it off - I prefer hard copy anyway.

I enjoy buying books, especially dirt cheap ones from Amazon for 1p plus postage. There's value for you boyo! Smile

Frank.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.