Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

ERR-99 on 20D

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    bailey73
    bailey73 e2 Member 11357 forum postsbailey73 vcard
    4 Jun 2005 - 3:55 AM

Hi

I was playing around with my new toy yesterday and err99 flashed up on my Lcd, I turned the camera off and then back on and as soon as I started to focus it flashed up again.

At the time I was using the 20D with the 100-400IS lens, the battery was fully charged but I replaced it with another battery and it didnt come up with an err message, tried the original battery again and again no err message.

According to the user manual err-99 may occur if you use a non Canon lens and the camera or lens does not operate properly.

Has anyone else had this problem or know of any other reason why the message may have come up.

Darren

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    4 Jun 2005 - 3:55 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

trivets12
    trivets12  101151 forum posts
    4 Jun 2005 - 3:57 AM

Has this happened with other lenses, or just the 100-400?
    Trudy

Jon_Iliffe
    4 Jun 2005 - 4:03 AM

This happened to me with a Sigma 28-300mm. It was a software problem with the lens (about 6yrs old I think) due to its age and not being compatible.The err99 only occured intermittently and usually when in Av mode.

I sent the lens to Sigma for a service and upgrade - no problems since. Also the lens was returned in a week - excellent service

bailey73
    bailey73 e2 Member 11357 forum postsbailey73 vcard
    4 Jun 2005 - 4:10 AM

The problem has only occurred with the Canon 100-400Is, I have a Sigma 28-135mm and it hasnt happened with that one (yet).

Thankyou for your quick replies.

chriswebb
    chriswebb  10893 forum posts United Kingdom
    4 Jun 2005 - 4:22 AM

I had this problem when I was using a Tamron 28-80 as a stop-gap while the lens I wanted was on order. There didn't seem any pattern as it seemed to occur randomly at various apertures and in various modes. I found quite a lot on the internet about it but no definitive answers, but came to the conclusion it happened only with non-Canon lenses which were not designed specifically for digital cameras. Therefore surprised you should get it with a Canon lens, and an expensive one at that. Might be worth seeing if Canon can do anything (if anyone can...). If not, a Canon lens not working on a Canon camera looks like grounds for demanding a refund.

laura16
    laura16  10605 forum posts
    4 Jun 2005 - 4:43 AM

Doesn't the err-99 just mean something is wrong but they don't have a specific code for it? i thought I read that on another thread a while back. Mine did it the first night I used it, gave me a real turn ha ha. I was actually reviewing the photos at the time and until I took the battery out and put it back in I couldn't get rid of it.

Hasn't done it since...touch wood.

chriswebb
    chriswebb  10893 forum posts United Kingdom
    4 Jun 2005 - 4:48 AM

I reckon it means you've got a Cadbury's Flake stuck in the camera.

laura16
    laura16  10605 forum posts
    4 Jun 2005 - 4:54 AM

lol!!!

snapperstan
    4 Jun 2005 - 5:30 AM

yeah but only the crumbliest flakiest sort

it has happened to me a few times now
    make sure the contacts are squeaky clean
    and dont wipe them with your finger

wotashot
    wotashot  102249 forum posts
    4 Jun 2005 - 6:01 AM

Do you get bits and juice with that?

It happened to me within the first couple of days of using my 20D (With 18-55), the message flashed up, I turned off the camera, turned it back on and have never experienced it since (touch wood)

Jamie

Jon_Iliffe
    4 Jun 2005 - 8:45 PM

It might also be worth checking that you have the latest firmware release (v2.0) which can be downloaded from Canon's website.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.