Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Essay help please? :)

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318442 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
31 Jan 2013 - 9:42 AM

It also helps of you break it up to make it more readable. The huge block can be off-putting. Line breaks between paragraphs on here can help, just like you did in your post above this.

You could split two of the larger paragraphs into two on the second piece to break it up even more.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
31 Jan 2013 - 9:42 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

blastedkane
31 Jan 2013 - 6:06 PM

Sorry... I should re read everything. It was fact, however I meant to say that
Quote: " it was almost impossible to get some of the students to understand that an image on the internet was NOT copyright free....".

thewilliam
31 Jan 2013 - 6:49 PM

Quote: Sorry... I should re read everything. It was fact, however I meant to say that " it was almost impossible to get some of the students to understand that an image on the internet was NOT copyright free....".

When I read the "wrong" version, you came across as a perfectly normal teacher because most students and graduates in photography seem to have no concept of copyright!

shadow18
shadow18  3406 forum posts England
1 Feb 2013 - 12:48 AM

:'( Only 4 paragraphs! I need 5, and it has to be longer to get a good grade. But this time, I set my timer and treated myself as if I were taking the real test.

What is stealing? Most would agree that stealing is wrong. What, however, does one define as stealing? Within art and writing, governments grant copyrights. Copyrights usually provide regulations for others who would copy another's work. Some copyrights allow work to be protected for a certain number of years. Copyrights belong to artists, writers, and inventors, who may sell the right to their work in several possible ways. Writers, for example, may print books and sell copies. Inventors may sell their patent or copyright to a company. Photographers may sell their photos to a website. Selling photos to a website usually gives the right to use those photos to that website for a certain instance or for a certain amount of time. A photographer and website designer may work out their own agreement. These photos that have copyrights are not, however, the property of anyone who is on the internet. Stealing a photo is as unethical as stealing anything.

One must first consider logically how stealing copyrights affects photographers. A professional photographer has worked hard on taking a photo, setting it up, getting it just right, and then getting his or her work copyrighted. Photography is a professional's living. If one steals a copyright, the photographer will lose the money from that sale. If photos continue to be stolen over time, sales will drop for professional photographers. This fact makes the incentive to produce quality photos lower. Stealing copyrighted photos from the internet is discouraging for photographers.

Second, one must consider the values and morals he or she possesses. Is stealing from the local grocery store wrong? Is stealing valuables such as expensive jewelry from a neighbor wrong? There are many things that may be stolen. Most people would feel very guilty if they stole expensive diamond jewelry from a neighbor, for example. Information is property too, if it is copyrighted. In past eras, the economy was mostly based on agrarian or farming roots. The products of that era were produce or meat. Then, with industrialism, the products of that era were clothes, machines, and other convenient material devices. In the current economy, many developed countries are in the information age. Many businesses are tertiary, which means either service or information orientated. Information is the business of consultants, writers, and artists, including photographers. Stealing information is wrong.

In conclusion, stealing, whether it be jewelry, money, or information, is wrong. Specifically, first of all, stealing a copyrighted photo from a photographer hurts that professional because he or she has lost money from his or her work. Also, stealing information is no less acceptable than stealing material goods because we live in an information-based age. Stealing any copyrighted photos from the internet is certainly wrong.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.