Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Etiquette when taking photos of people

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
chrisheathcote
chrisheathcote e2 Member 7237 forum postschrisheathcote vcard United Kingdom
20 Feb 2007 - 3:45 PM

I'm just getting into photography and had a quick question. Last week I was wandering around London with my camera, and saw a homeless person sleeping outside an expensive jewellers. Straight away I saw an opportunity to play with my new toy, but I ended up missing it because I couldn't bring myself to stand and take a picture of this poor soul. Just wondered what other peoples views were and advice on if I find myself in the same spot again.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
20 Feb 2007 - 3:45 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

elowes
elowes  92830 forum posts United Kingdom
20 Feb 2007 - 3:51 PM

Like you I find candid difficult as shots like that may cause offence. I have approached people and asked if they mind but you can then end up with a stilted photo.

Most people don't seem to mind though some have 'horror' stories to tell.

mdpontin
mdpontin  96016 forum posts Scotland
20 Feb 2007 - 3:55 PM

Just a suggestion: don't point the camera directly at your subject Wink

Doug

conrad
conrad e2 Member 910870 forum postsconrad vcard 116 Constructive Critique Points
20 Feb 2007 - 4:01 PM

Quote: don't point the camera directly at your subject

Quite. You wouldn't want to photograph the subject, would you...

LOL!

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139367 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
20 Feb 2007 - 4:11 PM

Try a camera you can use at waist level or one of the better camera phones.

col.campbell
20 Feb 2007 - 4:15 PM

I found myself in the same dilemma on a group outing in London a couple of years ago. One member didn't dither: straight in there. I wouldn't have known what to say in these circumstances but as far as I gather he just had a bit of a chat, asked the guy his name and where he's from, showed a bit of interest/ concern and offered him a few quid for a cuppa/ something to eat. I never saw the photos but he reckoned he had a few crackers, so maybe worth it if you can face the whole situation.

chrisheathcote
20 Feb 2007 - 4:28 PM

I've thought about speaking to them problem is I like natural unposed photos. As soon as they become aware I lose interest because the whole thing then becomes fake and loses emotion.

mdpontin
mdpontin  96016 forum posts Scotland
20 Feb 2007 - 4:29 PM

Conrad, it's known as the "indirect approach", or alternatively, lulling them into a true sense of security. Wink

Doug

KatieR
KatieR  106197 forum posts6 Constructive Critique Points
20 Feb 2007 - 4:30 PM

When someone is in an unfortunate situation, their welfare should come first.

If you take a candid pic, the least you can do is drop some money/ food their way afterwards, even if you don't explain why.

For character shots, you do need to get right in and engage with people, respectfully - but you need some self-confidence and a genuine interest.

Personally, I am a coward and don't feel comfortable doing either of the above, which is why I don't take pics of people!

EddieAC
EddieAC  9667 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
20 Feb 2007 - 4:43 PM

You could always take the photo and then approach the person(s) and ask if they have any objection to you keeping the photo.

For the opening titles to the film Love Actually, the film crew candidly recorded people greeting their loved ones in the arrivals gate at Heathrow Airport and then had to go and get permission from everyone they filmed so they could use it in the movie.

conrad
conrad e2 Member 910870 forum postsconrad vcard 116 Constructive Critique Points
20 Feb 2007 - 4:47 PM

I always wondered if that was acted or not. Interesting.

Geoffphoto
20 Feb 2007 - 4:49 PM

Quote: I always wondered if that was acted or not. Interesting.

It's still a rubbish film though - tho' Bill Nighy is great (as ever) !

jazzygf
jazzygf  10537 forum posts Scotland
20 Feb 2007 - 4:56 PM

You have 2 problems here. I like you would have asked the person however the spontaneity of the image would have gone. The 2nd problem is if you took the image and it was knockout and you then asked the person and they were not happy you would feel really pissed with yourself for taking the shot. It is a hard choice to make your best bet would have been to take the shot not ask permission but maybe give him a few quid for a cup of tea or a bite to eat (thats not to say they would spend it on that) but it would have been a way round your dilemma.

chrisheathcote
20 Feb 2007 - 5:41 PM

Quote: take the shot not ask permission but maybe give him a few quid for a cup of tea or a bite to eat

After much pondering this is what I will probably do next time. just wanted others views

KatieR
KatieR  106197 forum posts6 Constructive Critique Points
20 Feb 2007 - 6:19 PM

I think that's a reasonable approach.

You may find that your interest compels you to find out more about the person, as you gain confidence, and that you want to engage with them. You never know.

Quote: As soon as they become aware I lose interest because the whole thing then becomes fake and loses emotion.

I am interested that you say that - some people take great street shots when the subject is aware and looking straight down the lens. It's different to a candid, but it's not less powerful - it's often more so.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.