Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Etiquette when taking photos of people

randomrubble
10 3.0k 12 United Kingdom
20 Feb 2007 6:27PM
I think it's a mix of talking to people and just grab and run sometimes. It can be interesting and you can learn things by talking to your subjects.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Another twist on this is what if you line up your camera to shoot something, someone appears unexpectedly in your shot just as you take the photo and the resulting image is actually BETTER than that you had originally planned?

I've just come back from a short break and this very thing happened to me. I was photographing a parade and at one point another spectator's head popped into view just as I pushed the shutter button. The resulting shot was a wonderful image of someone beaming away at the parade rather than just another with a long line of musicians.

Of course, I didn't ask her afterwards, but then as I was in Germany, couldn't speak the language and never intended to photograph her it shouldn't be a problem if I don't intend to sell the image.
billip e2
10 388 United Kingdom
20 Feb 2007 7:34PM
Would this whole question of permission / not permission be different if one was photographing unsuspecting members of the public in, say, France ?
Boyd e2
11 11.2k 11 Wales
20 Feb 2007 7:40PM
You'd need a longer lens.
;o)
tepot 10 4.4k United Kingdom
20 Feb 2007 9:08PM
I saw a device advertised in a magazine that looks like a normal lens but has a mirror halfway down tilted at 45 degrees, the effect is that you can photograph someone standing to your right or left whilst the camera appears to point straight ahead.
20 Feb 2007 9:10PM
How about one of these ?
gillk e2
7 144
20 Feb 2007 10:37PM
I`m a pure newbie and one of the greatest pleasures in photography I have discovered is candids. I never ever take photos of homeless or children, anything else I see as fair game. If I think i`ve been "clocked" I`ll approach the person and offer to delete or email them a copy. I get more requests for emails than I do for deletions. Oh yeah, I`ve also made a few new friends along the way, and have found that anyone on a bike, skateboard or rollers can be quite aggressive and are to be avoided!
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
20 Feb 2007 10:50PM
How about a setup like this, works a treat. You can even stick the camera over a wall or around a corner.

here

On the over hand get yourself a foot pump and a giant pink inflatable elephant to hide behind.

Paul
21 Feb 2007 1:32PM
There were lots of topless sunbathers on the beach at Bournemouth last year, i just didn't have the confidence to get it out....the camera i mean 8-)
Camairish e2
9 1.3k Scotland
21 Feb 2007 10:27PM
Get a really decent pair of trainers. Now shove the lens in their face, click and RUN LIKE THE WIND!!!

You'll pay for the trainers in a few weeks with the money saved from not giving it to your subjects.

Hope this helps,

Ian
22 Feb 2007 1:29PM
i could i suppose offer to rub suntan lotion into the topless young sunbathers in return for some photographs....do you think that might work?
BrianSS e2
8 353 35 England
25 Feb 2007 1:04PM
While in Covent Garden, London recently, I saw two or three people walking around taking candid photographs (with long lenses) of people. I watched them for a while, they just clicked and walked away. I then saw one taking a photograph of a lady, dressed in black sat on her own totally engrossed in reading a paper. It looked a good subject so I thought I would try myself. I quickly focused then locked it. Looked away for a few seconds. Looked back and quickly took the shot. I like the shot myself, I had to crank up the ISO and It's not really sharp. It's in my portfolio.

I only hope she doesn't look on EPZ!!
25 Feb 2007 3:23PM

Quote:It's in my portfolio.

ohhh....click fisher click fisher!
1100 e2
8 36
25 Feb 2007 11:38PM
I shoot nothing but candids during spring to autumn (winter's too cold) and have only one rule for the homeless, only shoot when they're sleeping and that's only because I can handle myself if things get tricky.
Too many waifs-and-strays carry knives for their own protection, but there are also too many who have mental-problems. It's best to steer well clear.

EDIT - so what if I'm a 'click-fisher!'
keith selmes
11 7.1k 1 United Kingdom
26 Feb 2007 12:19AM

Quote:i suppose offer to rub suntan lotion into the topless young sunbathers in return for some photographs.

Its a problem in some small seaside towns - the photographer has to ask girls to put something on so he can get photos which the local paper can use.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.