Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Events Guide - please help us to help you

Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
16 Apr 2010 1:10PM
We've added a new feature. An events guide . The thinking is most of us get a free weekend here and there where we would like to photograph some event, but trying to find them using Google is a nightmare as most guides cater for family fun and not us photographers.

So the event guide is a continually updated page split up into weekends with a quick link at the top. We will list events as we hear about them.

I've started with a selection that I could remember and added a few I've researched.

What we really need is for you to do the same.

I've made it easy for you to add a new one. So I'm asking that anyone who attended any event of any kind last year or is planning to attend anything this year checks to see if the event is listed, and if not follows the simple upload/notification process so we will add it to the page.

If this works we will be creating a more automated system based on a calendar system and may even expand to include week day events and tie in with post code.

If any of you have a few hours spare here or there it would be great help if you could look around for events in your favourite subject and add those too.

The type of events are things that are going on that might not be photographic related but certainly photogenic (and obviously allow cameras) so things like festivals, parades, shows, race meets etc.

I really could do with a few motor sports people to suggest track events where photography would be possible too.

I hope you help us to make this a huge resource where we can all benefit.

What to Photograph This Weekend

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

sidaorb 8 3.9k 2 England
16 Apr 2010 1:27PM
Sounds like a great idea Pete,

This is exactly how I discovered Zapcats a few years ago, suddenly had a free Sunday, tried googling but it was a nightmare, eventually found the event on a powerboat racing site.

Regarding motorsport events, there are so many different events throughout the country, I could fill pages of them. Everyone knows the 'big' events like BTCC, BSB etc, but find your local clubs or track and see what they are doing. I'll have a look at few worthwhile lesser events and get them listed.
JJGEE 9 6.4k 18 England
16 Apr 2010 2:15PM
Will & Nikita are also looking for ideas for PHOTO MONTH.

I have something in mind that could be suitable for both that and this feature.

Will it be OK to suggest it for both ?
Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
16 Apr 2010 2:36PM
yes certainly, thanks
User_Removed 10 17.9k 8 Norway
16 Apr 2010 3:11PM
Another excellent idea Pete. Thank you.
sidaorb 8 3.9k 2 England
16 Apr 2010 3:22PM
Pete, how often will it be updated? By the looks of it the process is two fold, the submission, then someone up there putting it on the page? I'm wondering if you may be better off using the system you already have in place for 'Meets', which also includes map plotting and is instantanious.
Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
19 Apr 2010 10:46AM

Quote:Pete, how often will it be updated?

we will update as often as needed. We've added several more this morning. Some new railway, air displays and watersports ones. It really is important that members help build this up. So far we've had next to no response :-(

Quote:I'm wondering if you may be better off using the system you already have in place for 'Meets', which also includes map plotting and is instantanious.

The long term plan is to merge it with the calendar/maps but that's a new build. And there's no point us even considering it if no one's going to get involved.

This could be an essential reference guide. Nowhere offers such a guide for photographers.
roxpix 11 2.2k 11 Scotland
19 Apr 2010 12:12PM
Member input is clearly the only practical way to get these nationwide events listed in one place (given that there is literally hundreds of thousands)

It would be more than a full time job for one person to attempt to do this from the team so unless we each dedicate some web browsing time to submit even a handful of events then this'll never work

Pete I fear you may find it necessary to incentivice this to increase submisions or amend the format (to map style) to make it easier to contribute, ie the Knockhill events need only be one map entry with link to 'diary of events' from the circuits own site, as opposed to listing each weekend (if you do get thousands of events it'll mean multiple catagories etc making navigation more complex)

A map style format would also allow 'flags/icons' which could be 'greyed out' for the annual events which could turn green in the month leading up to then event then red for the final week before, giving togs an at a glance view of where & when things are, which may be a bigger influence than whats on
WelshKiwi 7 3.2k 2 Wales
19 Apr 2010 12:47PM
What about a regional group led by a coordinator.

I would be willing to submit items from say Anglesey, and the North Wales Coast down to Mid Wales....

I think this is an excellent idea and I am going to now go look for ideas Smile Might take my mind off the fact that Im supposed to be leaving for Hong Kong.... Actually, I dont think it will but I will give it a try lol Smile

Great new resource Pete Smile
johnty 9 8 Wales
22 Jun 2011 2:13PM
Did this get any further - seems like a good idea . . . ?

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.