Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Everyone should have a monitor callibrator....

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.

Members Only

You must be logged in or registered to join a group
Scutter
Scutter e2 Member 61742 forum postsScutter vcard United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
16 Sep 2010 - 9:07 PM

Quote: Meet him in the Duncan - wear a Man Utd top so that he recognises you.
Smile

I was hoping to live beyond the end of October Boyd!Tongue

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
16 Sep 2010 - 9:07 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade  1014554 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
16 Sep 2010 - 9:17 PM

.....boyd knows Leeds' pubs????

I'm scared!

Wink

Boyd
Boyd  1011213 forum posts Wales11 Constructive Critique Points
16 Sep 2010 - 9:20 PM

I'm omni-pubescent.
Smile

ade_mcfade
16 Sep 2010 - 9:22 PM

Smile

you'll know Big Lill's Saloon Bar then?

cracking place that used to be

Scutter
Scutter e2 Member 61742 forum postsScutter vcard United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
16 Sep 2010 - 9:23 PM

Quote: I'm omni-pubescent.
Smile

Hmm, does that mean you only know a few spots really well??Wink

Boyd
16 Sep 2010 - 9:28 PM

Quote:
you'll know Big Lill's Saloon Bar then?

That'll be the one near the record shop, full of interesting characters and a few rough diamonds.

Quote:
Hmm, does that mean you only know a few spots really well??

Not really well, mostly blurry and running away whilst looking over my shoulder.

Last Modified By Boyd at 16 Sep 2010 - 9:29 PM
ade_mcfade
16 Sep 2010 - 9:43 PM

yeah, that's the one. down an alley, round the corner - well hidden so no one can hear you scream if you upset the locals Wink Very very very rough diamonds Wink

Were you a student up here then?

Boyd
16 Sep 2010 - 9:47 PM

Pete and Keith are both from Yorkshire - its a genetic memory.
Wink

Seriously though, I did my degree at Sheffield university and one of my sisters was at Leeds.

Last Modified By Boyd at 16 Sep 2010 - 9:49 PM
ade_mcfade
16 Sep 2010 - 9:56 PM

ah - you remember it from the test-tube in their evil lab where they created you Wink

so your sis took you to the best boozers then! General Elliot and the Oak and Regent are classics too.

More of a Whitelocks man myself these days Wink

cameracat
cameracat  108574 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
16 Sep 2010 - 10:21 PM

Might make the time to visit Leeds myself.....Smile

Is it safe for country yokels to wander the streets these days....Grin

I knew some who went to leeds years ago, No one has ever seen them since......Sad

JJGEE
JJGEE  96097 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
16 Sep 2010 - 10:34 PM

Quote: If you're ever going to edit a shot before printing or displaying it online, how do you know whether it'll look right on paper or on anohter monitor?

I never seem to understand this concept at all.

For viewing online this surely only relevant if every monitor that people view on is also calibrated ?

I do calibrate mine from time to time, only because it is supposed to be the "in thing" to do, but to be quite honest I cannot see any real difference from the calibration done three years ago, or for that matter the "default" setting that came with the computer in the first place.

Printer profiling may be something completely different, but I have not got a "photographic" printer to calibrate.

strawman
strawman  1021991 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
16 Sep 2010 - 11:22 PM

It made a difference to me as my original monitor had a colour cast, so if you got it right on the screen it was wrong everywhere else. I used to run a set of offsets in the printer driver and never get on-line prints correct till I calibrated it. Having said that my more modern LCD monitor is only subtly adjusted from its default, and it does not look to have drifted much, if at all, over the last couple of years, while CRT's would drift.

Last Modified By strawman at 16 Sep 2010 - 11:23 PM
ade_mcfade
17 Sep 2010 - 9:38 AM

Quote: I never seem to understand this concept at all.

hmm - and I thought I'd explained it pretty well.... lets try again...

Imagine you have a vessle for drinking out of - cup, glass, mug, whatever...

You've never seen it before and you're not really sure how much liquid it will hold. You can drink out of it all day not nkowing how much it holds.

Is it a pint? A litre? 330ml?

You can probably hazzard a guess... but you don't really know, because you've not measured it.

So what options do you have for finding out how much it holds?

You measure the amount using an external device - maybe weigh it full, then empty, work out the difference?

Maybe fill it up to the top, then empty the contents into a measureing jug.

Once you have measured how much liquid you have in that cup, by whatever means, you can then say with certainty that "this vessle holds 652ml of liquid" - and every time you drink a vessle full of said liquid, you can say "I just drank another 652ml of liquid".

This is why we callibrate monitors.

We look at a monitor and we can't be sure whether what we are seeing is correct or not, because we have no way of measuring it with the eye.

It may look about right, buy it may have a magenta or green cast we're unaware of. It may be too bright or dark. It may be too warm or cool.

The only way to measure this is to use a measuring device, say, a monitor calibration device.

This will then perform a series of actions to "measure" the monitors settings against a "known setting", in the same way as the measuring jug measures the amount of liquid against a "known volume" of liquid (i.e. litres, gallons etc.).

Once the calibration has taken place, you can then say with certainty that "this green is equal to the international standard green" or "this shade of grey I see on my monitor will look the same on any other calibrated monitor, projector or print".

adrian_w
adrian_w e2 Member 63201 forum postsadrian_w vcard Scotland4 Constructive Critique Points
17 Sep 2010 - 11:57 AM

Quote: so your sis took you to the best boozers then! General Elliot and the Oak and Regent are classics too.

More of a Whitelocks man myself these days Wink

Does the Regent still exist?
Some guys from work went to Leeds last weekend for a stag do. As one of them is a fanatical Glagow Rangers supporter so I thought it would be amusing to send him to the Regent ( Do they still have the live music sessions on Sunday lunchtimes?) but I couldn't find any reference to it on the 'net.
Whielocks brings back hazy memories as well.

ade_mcfade
17 Sep 2010 - 1:11 PM

yeah - the regent's still there, along with General Elloitt

I had my nearest "photographer beating" from a couple of paralytic morons exiting the Regent - they were truly the dregs of society and should be neutered to protect the gene pool - or just put up against the wall and shot.

Whitelocks is ace - long thin yard, 1721 pub, decent ales... say no more Wink

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.