Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Everyone should have a monitor callibrator....

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814

Members Only

You must be logged in or registered to join a group
JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53584 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
17 Sep 2010 - 5:45 PM

Not that i'm buying one yet (need spare cash), But my monitor is near a window and during the day i have a changing light from the sun's position. At night i'm lit by tungstan/low energy flourscent bulbs.
I assume I then calibrate for the different background lighting contitions and change the profile througout the day?
I guess this is also true for a laptop that's moved from room to room.

Another question is the LCD screen itsself - its a Samsung and they are pretty good in my view, but it is at the value end of the range, so whilst calibrating it will help, will it be able to adjust in the way thats required?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
17 Sep 2010 - 5:45 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

GlennH
GlennH  91918 forum posts France1 Constructive Critique Points
17 Sep 2010 - 11:16 PM

The ambient light around your monitor needs to be sufficiently low for you to be able to discern shadow detail on your calibrated screen. If at any time you can't, then you're editing in poor conditions. With calibration being largely about brightness - at least in terms of what you can physically adjust yourself, a gradation test like the one at the bottom of this page is useful.

You don't have to match the screen to surrounding light when you calibrate, you just need a display luminance which matches print-viewing conditions (if prints are your intention). Typically people calibrate to a luminance of between 100-140 cd/mē, although recommending an exact figure is fairly futile - who knows the lighting conditions under which someone else is going to display a photo?

It's worth calibrating and profiling even a low end monitor, which isn't likely generally to be any worse than a laptop screen. Even cheaper screens vary significantly in quality, depending on their dithering capability, for instance. All are less colour-accurate than more expensive monitors, and more prone to banding and dithering artefacts, as well as having significantly poorer vertical viewing angles. Regardless, a monitor profile compensates for colour irregularities in your display and provides a means of communication with other devices - it's useful even if it doesn't do alchemy.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.