Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Exchange Saturation and Lightness Values - CS4

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    johnp
    johnp  10139 forum posts United Kingdom
    8 Aug 2010 - 12:44 PM

There is a Nik plug-in that exchanges Saturation and Lightness channels and it looks very effective.

If you look in the Color Picker box, it shows RGB, Lab, CMYK and HSL values. Image>Mode allows you to switch between RGB, Lab and CMYK but not HSL. In RGB it's possible to exchange the values in two channels, so my goal is nearly in sight ....... but not quite

Does anybody know a way of exchanging Saturation and Lightness (other than paying Nik's fancy prices, that is!!

John

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    8 Aug 2010 - 12:44 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

johnp
    8 Aug 2010 - 7:44 PM

This is the link to the Nik site

Tom_Mann
    Tom_Mann  4 United States
    16 Aug 2010 - 5:25 PM

I've used a free plugin called HSBHSL.8BF for the past couple of years that allows one to separately access H, S, and B or H, S, and L. You select which conversion from RGB that you want and then the red channel contains the hue info, the green ch. contains the saturation info, and the blue ch. contains either the brightness or lightness info. Manipulate them as you want (eg, exchange them) and then use the plugin a 2nd time in reverse mode to go back to the usual RGB image. It works on CS3 through CS5, and both 8 and 16 bpc images.

It's a bit more clunky to use compared to using the color spaces built in to PS, but it gets the job done and has given me zero problems.

That being said, I just did a quick Google search to see where one can download it these days, and found a few warnings about some malware file intentionally given the same name, so be careful.

Cheers,

Tom M
    Washington, DC

Last Modified By Tom_Mann at 16 Aug 2010 - 5:25 PM
    johnp
    16 Aug 2010 - 6:12 PM

Thanks, Tom. I'll give it a go and see if it's any different from another plug-in of similar name, which didn't give me the result I hoped for. Have you actually used this to swap Saturation and Brightness? Did it give a result like the Nik plug-in?
    John

Tom_Mann
    Tom_Mann  4 United States
    16 Aug 2010 - 6:27 PM

Hi John - No, unfortunately, I haven't tried using it to swap saturation and brightness. I tend to use it to do fairly complicated tasks such as:

- decrease the saturation of the weakly saturated colors and increase the saturation of the strongly saturated colors (or visa versa) via curves ... sort of like a "vibrance" control on steroids and with very specific adjustments.

- use the brightness channel to control the saturation via a curve. For example, either totally saturate or de-saturate the very brightest and darkest areas.

If this plugin works for the above tasks, I'm sure it will work for a simple interchange. The only trick I found in working with the HSB or HSL channels (... I'll call them that, even though they aren't "real", Adobe-generated channels...) was to make a copy of each as your very first step. Perform your manipulations on the copies, and then cut and paste the modified version of a channel back into the appropriate R, G, or B channel.

HTH,

Tom M

johnp
    16 Aug 2010 - 10:14 PM

Hi Tom and thanks. I'll give that a try, but probably not until late October. I start a 2-month tour of Australia and New Zealand on Thursday, so busy packing at present!

Cheers

John

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.