Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Exif Data

gordonholmes 13 62 England
3 Dec 2012 7:47PM
Hi
I have just been converted to Nikon, the problem i have is enter Nikon competition on In-Frame (Nikon home page thingy) when i try to down load photos to this site it states 'not taken on Nikon equipment, since when has a 3200 not been Nikon, i think this is something to do with Exif data, do this have to be enabled on my camera? or why is it not appearing non Nikon, any help gratefully received, just for the record my photos were burned straight from my card to a CD at Asda and another was transfered from my camera directly to Iphoto (which has not been a problem before). i am sure it must be something simple.

Regards Gordon

ps i have posted in other forums to no avail

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

3 Dec 2012 8:04PM
I have now put a photo up in the gallery section 'misty mousehold' problem my now be solved i hope

Gordon
JohnParminter 7 1.3k 14 England
3 Dec 2012 8:05PM
Upgrade to a D800 Gordon, I'm sure Nikon will accept your entries then...... Wink

.. sorry, I don't know the answer.
3 Dec 2012 8:17PM
Ha Ha John only just come over from the 'other brand' to Nikon....too early to change ..i think i may have solved the problem...watch this space.

Gordon
3 Dec 2012 8:26PM
I think it maybe that i am not saving my pictures as 'Save As' after i have photo shopped, them ..i just noticed i just 'Save' maybe thats the problem.....any comments? and maybe having photos burnt to a disc has striped away any data.....no dont know just a guess lol any comments welcome.

Gordon
LVanDhal 2 126 1 United Kingdom
3 Dec 2012 11:39PM
gordon as far as i know if you "Save" in Pshop then you are over writing the original image with the one you have worked on in Pshop and therefore you are going to wipe all exif data by replacing your original image with the pshoped on,
but if you "Save as" then you create a second image and the original image still contains all the data, but not the new one.
I was told to always "Save as" so that you can at a later date go back if you want to and re edit the original image.
Again with burning to disc I have never had any exif data from any images I have put on to disc, but then I've not put original files on to disc only those I've worked on in pshop and "Save as" .
hope this helps, and as i mentioned its only as far as I know, others might be able to explain it further.
kindest regards.
Snapper e2
9 3.8k 3 United States Outlying Islands
3 Dec 2012 11:46PM
Why are you getting the photos burned to cd? Memory cards are pretty cheap and it would be far better to have more of them so that you can just wait and download to your computer when you get back home. Or is there some other reason for working this way?
chase e2
9 1.1k 242 England
3 Dec 2012 11:51PM
Looking at your image Gordon,I see you have taken it from a disc you had done at Asda,I suspect that the exif data would be stripped as they copied the images to the disc.If you load the image directly from your computer & not from the Asda disc I suspect your problem will be solved.
4 Dec 2012 7:12AM
Good news, as i still have the images on my card in my camera i tried ......download direct to photoshop, PS the images and 'Save AS' and it seems to work and all data is still there, i will try again more thoroughly when i get home from work, the reason i had them burnt to CD is due to lack of space on my aging computer, but luckly i still have them on my card, it is easy just to click the photo shut and 'Save' rather than 'Save As'....must watch that one in future, but as i say i will try some tonight again. thanks for all your help

Gordon
edtaylor e2
3 104 United Kingdom
4 Dec 2012 8:11AM
Might be a good idea to buy a usb external hard drive for backing up your photos too. I use Two external hard drives to save my photos on, they are not too expensive compared to lost photos.
ChrisV e2
8 889 26 United Kingdom
4 Dec 2012 11:41AM
Photoshop shouldn't strip EXIF data from your files unless you tell it to - you can easily check its presence [or otherwise] in PShop by hitting CMD/alt/shift I [Mac - it will be similar in windows or choose 'File Info' from the file menu]. It's an extremely small header in the file, so even if you're heavily compressing JPEGs [and most photographers hate to do that] PShop won't strip the EXIF Data.

It may well be that the ASDA software does this in compliance with data protection - I don't honestly know.

Going back to my Nikon days I do recall you can add in/edit your EXIF data on the camera [for instance putting in an author name and copyright notice], but by default your model and all shooting data are recorded to the file.
4 Dec 2012 7:14PM
Problem sort.....it was my mistake....a big one at that, i was saving photos as 'Save' and not 'Save As' so problem sorted and photos now load to where i want them, yes i have thought of buying a external hard drive and also thought of buying a new Mac, so get xmas out the way (all that expenseGrin) and i will look to buy both i hope. thanks very much for all your help everyone.

Gordon

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.