Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Expensive wedding fayres? Are they better than cheap ones?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Lucian
    Lucian  4531 forum posts
    3 Apr 2014 - 11:00 AM

I have just been offered a pitch at a very large wedding fayre with 6 other photographers exhibiting. It is 200 per pitch and am wondering if it is worth the money and if a fayre charging this amount will be any better than the fayres I have been doing that only cost 40.00. I thought I would ask to see if anyone on here has had experience of both cheap fayres and expensive ones and is their any difference in the amount of work you get from such events.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    3 Apr 2014 - 11:00 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

keithh
    keithh  1022788 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Apr 2014 - 11:45 AM

It depends on how many banners they have fastened to the railings.

scottishphototours

We did the big shows in Glasgow for 8 years. Typical costs were 2000-3000 every 6 months and neither guaranteed bookings, in fact we never booked anyone until the 3rd time we went - and that was only after having a huge spend in promotional material, framed prints and sample albums.

If you can spend big and your stuff is good eough, you'll get bookings. But don't expect to cover your costs at these shows.

Local shows are cheaper to do, keep your profile up and mean less outgoings for a typical wedding as you are generally working locally.

I'd say you'd be better staying local and spending money on some training.

collywobles
    3 Apr 2014 - 2:33 PM

Quote: is their any difference in the amount of work you get from such events

Who can tell. Surely common sense says that it depends on where, when, how, who, what -- there are so many variables its unpredictable.............

here4years
    here4years e2 Member 92 forum postshere4years vcard United Kingdom
    3 Apr 2014 - 3:11 PM

Quote: and spending money on some training.

SmileSmileSmile

thewilliam
    3 Apr 2014 - 4:06 PM

I believe it's a matter of the right photographer with the right stand at the right wedding fair. All the ingredients need to be right.

She-who-must-be-obeyed was a regular at one fair until the organizers got greedy and accepted booking form all comers. At her last fair, there must have been a couple of dozen photographers/snappers and the neighbouring stand was charging exactly one-tenth of She-who-must-be-obeyed's entry price.

ade_mcfade
    ade_mcfade  1014728 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Apr 2014 - 4:38 PM

Prefer fun fairs myself Wink

Coast
    Coast Critique Team 6778 forum postsCoast vcard United Kingdom290 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Apr 2014 - 8:56 AM

Only you can make the judgement on value for money for the cost of the pitch.

Compare like for like versus your 40 fayre's. For example. What do you get for the extra 160. Is the venue more salubrious? Does the venue attract your customer level or is it more upmarket or downmarket? Do you get a bigger pitch to allow you to exhibit more of your work and marketing materials? Are the organisers doing more marketing of the event that will likely bring more footfall passing your pitch....

In terms of capturing more bookings comes down to you on the day. What do you offer over the other photographers there? And that's not always about price. Although price is a driving factor I find that within a customers scale of price perception (expect to pay up to 1000 for example for their wedding photography) they will primarily book following recommendation or that they feel a connection to the photographer from talking with them. That goes without saying they like the work they've seen first of course and it gives them confidence you can produce what they are looking for.

What marketing are you doing? Anything different from the norm or what the other photographers are likely to have?

Do you have a show offer such as "All bookings today include a free pre-wedding portrait session"'. Are you doing anything more personal for those that aren't ready to book on the day such as an on the day portrait that you email to them with a personalised letter as marketing follow up?

You and your brand will be the deciding factor on the success of the event. The cost of it being better value is down to you comparing like with like, particularly around what the organisers are doing to promote the event, because you will want sufficient footfall passing your stand.

Hope that helps.

Regards
    Paul

Last Modified By Coast at 5 Apr 2014 - 9:00 AM
    thewilliam
    5 Apr 2014 - 10:13 AM

The most important question should be, "will the punters that come through the door be MY customers?"

When they used to do wedding fairs at Westpoint near Exeter, the organisers increased the number of photographers and over a full range of prices. When a 2k-5k photographer has a stall next door to a "all images on a disk for 99" snapper, there needs to be a noticeable difference in quality.

One friend is in the wine trade and one punter asked him why the wines were so expensive when he couldn't taste any obvious difference. My friend advised the snapper to stick with the 1.99 supermarket specials if he was happy with them.

Paul_Anthony
    6 Apr 2014 - 11:56 PM

Out of interest... How did the wedding fayre go that you were organizing Lucian?

collywobles
    8 Apr 2014 - 5:26 PM

Quote: Out of interest... How did the wedding fayre go that you were organizing Lucian?

that was last weeks great idea Paul, there's another one on the go now until..............

collywobles
    11 Apr 2014 - 7:36 PM

Hey Lucan here's something else you could try.

nickthompson
    12 Apr 2014 - 10:43 AM

Fantastic

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.