Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Exporting out of elements 7 or lightroom 3

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    andypitstop
    1 Aug 2010 - 10:19 AM

hi guy's n gals,
    I seam to be struggling to get photos from my main computer stored in either lightroom 3 or elements 7 to a new laptop via a external hard drive. I can get them from one to another via the hard drive but they are missing when u try to open them when the hard drive isnt conected. any ideas welcome.......Andy

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    1 Aug 2010 - 10:19 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cameracat
    cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Aug 2010 - 10:41 AM

Hi Andy, Whats happening is that the programs on your laptop are creating catalogues of the files on the external HD.

Not actual copies of the images.....Sad

So when the drive is not connected, They can't access them.

If you want full access to the images, Just as you have with your main computer, You need to copy all the images to the laptops on-board hard drive, That way the programs can access both the catalogues and the images, Though it does duplicate things a tad, As well a consume HD space.

If you decide to do that, You may need to dump the catalogues that have already beeen created from the external drive, Or things can get a tad confussing for you and your laptop.

HTH....Smile

Last Modified By cameracat at 1 Aug 2010 - 10:44 AM
    andypitstop
    1 Aug 2010 - 10:59 AM

Thanks for the reply,
    when u say copy to the hard drive of the laptop, is there a different way of importing to do that....i'm sure i tried export as a new file from elements to external hard drive and that stayed the same...what command should i use in say lightroom on the laptop when importing or is the problem the other end when i am exporting from the original comp

JJGEE
    JJGEE  96341 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Aug 2010 - 11:19 AM

Firstly, I do not actually think you are wanting to "Export"

Are you saying that you have Lightroom installed on both a desktop & laptop and you now want to process the files from the laptop instead of the desktop ( or both ) ?

Lightroom will need to "find " / "point to " both the image files ( RAW) and it's catalogue. The best way to do that would be to have them both on an external hard drive ( which you should also back-up somewhere else as well ).

If the files need to be moved from the main computer to an external hard drive that should be done from within LR. The catalogue can be moved outside of LR.
    Then when you open LR on the laptop "browse" & "select" for the catalogue you want to use from the external hard drive.

Difficult to really explain the process in words, but it is not that complicated in practical terms

cameracat
    cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Aug 2010 - 12:07 PM

I'm having the same problem as JJGEE, In trying to explain without getting overly complicated......Smile

Lets take Lightroom as an example, You open it on your main computer, You import images into LR, Then LR creates a catalogue of those images, Thats why its Non Destructive, Because it does not make alterations to the original files, It stores the alterations made within the catalogue data, Only reffering to the original as required.

Now thats all fine and dandy whilst you using your main computer, Because LR can access its own data and that of the original files on the hard drive.

But if you then copy the images to an external drive, Then import them into LR on a Laptop, The laptop version of LR will create its own catalogue, Making note of where the original images are stored " AKA " On the external hard drive, But at no point does it copy the originals to the laptop, IT just acesses the imfromation from the original image, IN its current location....ie External drive.....Grin

Now if you remove the external drive, LR has no way of reffering to the originals, The only data it can access is its own catalogue files, These ONLY contain the data regarding changes made by Lighroom to the original file.....Sad

Basically Lighroom cross referances its own catalogue data, With that of the original file.......But if it can't see the original file because you have removed the External, Then it can't display the image, Sometimes you can get the " Previews " to show, But they are in a low quality and you can't do anything much with them.....Sad

So bottom line, You need to " COPY " all the files you require, From the extarnal HD, To the hard drive in the Laptop.....Simple copy and paste option.

Or your gonna have to plug the external drive in " Everytime " you want to work on the images further, Or even view them for that matter.

Wink

andypitstop
    1 Aug 2010 - 12:53 PM

Thanks for that, i get what ur saying will give it a go later.......Andy

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.