Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Exposure problem with slow shutter speed

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Fearniespurs
    Fearniespurs e2 Member 6Fearniespurs vcard Wales1 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Mar 2009 - 9:27 AM

Good morning all, I have been trying to take some coastal shots using long exposures but all I seem to be getting is bleached out shots for instance I have been out this morning down to my local beach around 08.30hrs but the sky was really bright does this have anything to do with it, tried manual mode and TV mode on a tripod with a camera release cord and a Canon 40D with a 17-40 L Lens, it seems in TV mode I went to the slowest exposure and worked my way up until a scene actually got in the framce however by the time the scene arrived in my view finder I was taking shots at a very fast shutter speed and was not getting the blurred wave afffect I was after, can somebody please help me as I am getting really frustrated with this

Many thanks
    Lee

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    14 Mar 2009 - 9:27 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Slippery_Jim
    14 Mar 2009 - 9:37 AM

You'll need a graduated Neutral Density filter to stop the sky burning out

rowarrior
    rowarrior  64350 forum posts Scotland9 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Mar 2009 - 10:30 AM

or even a full ND filter as the sky reflecting in the water would make it quite bright too

Hugeknot
    Hugeknot  91212 forum posts Iceland2 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Mar 2009 - 10:37 AM

Yes, ND filter is the way to go. Choose an 8!! Use a small aperture f=16 - 22. You could also add a polariser to enhance the effect further.
    Even with a strong ND you will be challenged to get a wave blur in bright light. The time around sunset/rise is best but if you have clear skies you have to wait for the sun to go down (or before the sun comes up).

EDIT: the recent pics in my pf are taken with a polariser just before sunset, but you can see the sky is quite dark. f=16
    Smile

Last Modified By Hugeknot at 14 Mar 2009 - 10:40 AM
    Fearniespurs
    Fearniespurs e2 Member 6Fearniespurs vcard Wales1 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Mar 2009 - 11:38 AM

Quote: Yes, ND filter is the way to go. Choose an 8!! Use a small aperture f=16 - 22. You could also add a polariser to enhance the effect further.
    Even with a strong ND you will be challenged to get a wave blur in bright light. The time around sunset/rise is best but if you have clear skies you have to wait for the sun to go down (or before the sun comes up).

EDIT: the recent pics in my pf are taken with a polariser just before sunset, but you can see the sky is quite dark. f=16

Thank you for your help just ordered a filter, many thanks Lee

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.