Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Exposure problems

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Snapper
Snapper  93752 forum posts United States Minor Outlying Islands3 Constructive Critique Points
25 May 2006 - 2:29 PM

Quote: I am on a mission from God... Lo Ceri, he said unto me, go forth into the readers' gallery and seek ye those who useth the ND grad, and yea even unto those who useth one when shooting when side lit into a clear blue northern sky... let three numbers denote the filter of the beast for they are human numbers they are 2, 4 and 8

Hallelujah brother, someone else who realises that the sky IS actually lighter than the land.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
25 May 2006 - 2:29 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

jimthistle73
25 May 2006 - 2:31 PM

Not on judgement day, brother......

monstersnowman
25 May 2006 - 4:59 PM

Jasper 66 ... You are presuming that your eye has the same range as the sensor in your camera .. what a camera records is nothing like what you see through the optical viewfinder with your eyes .. for instance your eye really only looks at a small amount of cenral vision and guesses or creates the peripheral based on what it knows or thinks is there .. and it is constantly compensating for changes in lightness and darkness and constantly refocussing and adjusting the eye's depth of field .. unfortunately your CMOS cannot record at one single point in time the same range of tones in a given difficult lighting condition as your eye and brain creates as an image in your mind ... you never look at the horizon and the foreground in detail at the same time so each glance however small is compensated for, whereas the recorded image is there and does not change - no compensation as you look around it. This compensation needs to be done by filters and a carefully selected exposure that accounts for both extremes - the lower the dynamic range of the camera the more compensation needed, using things like ND Grads .. hope this does not sound like an over complicated explanation of a simple problem.

Sus
Sus  93183 forum posts England9 Constructive Critique Points
25 May 2006 - 10:17 PM

I think what Ceri might be saying is that as it's always grey skies in Wales there's never that much exposure difference between land and sky.

Like today here, last day of Cambridge Beer Festival too! Sad

c_evans99
c_evans99  117013 forum posts Wales1 Constructive Critique Points
26 May 2006 - 12:00 AM

Well I live in Hampshire...

All I'm suggesting is that grads aren't absolutely essential and that in many situations the sky and ground can be accomodated within an average meter reading. As I look through the gallery tho it seems that it has become 'gospel' that grads should be used at all times, and there are a host of otherwise fine pictures with - often badly - underexposed skies. Clouds are supposed to be white you know Smile

Ceri

digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
26 May 2006 - 12:15 AM

I wonder if there will ever be a time when manufacturers produce cameras with per pixel exposure metering. Just imagine, perfectly exposed shots with no filters.

:0)

digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
26 May 2006 - 12:15 AM

Quote: Clouds are supposed to be white you know

Try telling that to the clouds we have seen around here for the past week! Grey grey and more grey (plus some black). :0(

c_evans99
c_evans99  117013 forum posts Wales1 Constructive Critique Points
26 May 2006 - 12:25 AM

Quote: Grey grey and more grey

There's always overexposure...

KenTaylor
KenTaylor e2 Member 102980 forum postsKenTaylor vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
26 May 2006 - 12:49 AM

With my limited knowledge of digital and having used film for more years than I can remember, digital doesn`t like white light. In darkroom printing you would burn in the highlights which can also be done in photoshop with digital. Grad filters reduce the need for post processing.

A good introduction to exposure can be found at Luminous Landscape.com
Ken

JASPERIMAGE
26 May 2006 - 9:03 AM

Thanks for all the advice, have now invested in a set of Colkin ND Grads so hopefully the weather in Scotland will improve this weekend and I can get out and about to practice.

Thanks again

J

beckyh
beckyh  10160 forum posts United Kingdom
28 May 2006 - 4:44 AM

Does the Camera have a live histogram? This can help show when the picture is over or under exposed.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.