Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Exposure problems

Snapper 9 3.8k 3 United States Outlying Islands
25 May 2006 2:29PM

Quote: I am on a mission from God... Lo Ceri, he said unto me, go forth into the readers' gallery and seek ye those who useth the ND grad, and yea even unto those who useth one when shooting when side lit into a clear blue northern sky... let three numbers denote the filter of the beast for they are human numbers they are 2, 4 and 8

Hallelujah brother, someone else who realises that the sky IS actually lighter than the land.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

jimthistle73 10 2.4k 1 United Kingdom
25 May 2006 2:31PM
Not on judgement day, brother......
monstersnowman 9 1.7k 1 England
25 May 2006 4:59PM
Jasper 66 ... You are presuming that your eye has the same range as the sensor in your camera .. what a camera records is nothing like what you see through the optical viewfinder with your eyes .. for instance your eye really only looks at a small amount of cenral vision and guesses or creates the peripheral based on what it knows or thinks is there .. and it is constantly compensating for changes in lightness and darkness and constantly refocussing and adjusting the eye's depth of field .. unfortunately your CMOS cannot record at one single point in time the same range of tones in a given difficult lighting condition as your eye and brain creates as an image in your mind ... you never look at the horizon and the foreground in detail at the same time so each glance however small is compensated for, whereas the recorded image is there and does not change - no compensation as you look around it. This compensation needs to be done by filters and a carefully selected exposure that accounts for both extremes - the lower the dynamic range of the camera the more compensation needed, using things like ND Grads .. hope this does not sound like an over complicated explanation of a simple problem.
Sus 10 3.2k 9 England
25 May 2006 10:17PM
I think what Ceri might be saying is that as it's always grey skies in Wales there's never that much exposure difference between land and sky.

Like today here, last day of Cambridge Beer Festival too! Sad
c_evans99 11 7.0k 1 Wales
26 May 2006 12:00AM
Well I live in Hampshire...

All I'm suggesting is that grads aren't absolutely essential and that in many situations the sky and ground can be accomodated within an average meter reading. As I look through the gallery tho it seems that it has become 'gospel' that grads should be used at all times, and there are a host of otherwise fine pictures with - often badly - underexposed skies. Clouds are supposed to be white you know Smile

Ceri
digicammad 11 22.0k 37 United Kingdom
26 May 2006 12:15AM
I wonder if there will ever be a time when manufacturers produce cameras with per pixel exposure metering. Just imagine, perfectly exposed shots with no filters.

:0)
digicammad 11 22.0k 37 United Kingdom
26 May 2006 12:15AM

Quote:Clouds are supposed to be white you know

Try telling that to the clouds we have seen around here for the past week! Grey grey and more grey (plus some black). :0(
c_evans99 11 7.0k 1 Wales
26 May 2006 12:25AM

Quote:Grey grey and more grey

There's always overexposure...
KenTaylor e2
10 3.0k 2 United Kingdom
26 May 2006 12:49AM
With my limited knowledge of digital and having used film for more years than I can remember, digital doesn`t like white light. In darkroom printing you would burn in the highlights which can also be done in photoshop with digital. Grad filters reduce the need for post processing.

A good introduction to exposure can be found at Luminous Landscape.com
Ken
JASPERIMAGE 8 55 1 Scotland
26 May 2006 9:03AM
Thanks for all the advice, have now invested in a set of Colkin ND Grads so hopefully the weather in Scotland will improve this weekend and I can get out and about to practice.

Thanks again

J
beckyh 10 160 United Kingdom
28 May 2006 4:44AM
Does the Camera have a live histogram? This can help show when the picture is over or under exposed.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.