Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Exposure vs. Brightness

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    AnnChown
    AnnChown e2 Member 4183 forum postsAnnChown vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Nov 2012 - 2:28 PM

Can somebody please explain the difference between the 'exposure' and 'brightness' sliders in Lightroom 3. I imagine the same settings apply for other raw processing programmes, but the question was asked at camera club recently and I didn't know the answer, although I usually use the exposure slider and very rarely the brightness one.
    Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    27 Nov 2012 - 2:28 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Coleslaw
    Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Nov 2012 - 2:35 PM

Probably worth a read here

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    Pete
    Pete Site Moderator 1318442 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Nov 2012 - 2:35 PM

Quote: explain the difference between the 'exposure' and 'brightness' sliders in Lightroom 3

I don't think Adobe knew either so they redeveloped that area in Lightroom 4 so it's much less confusing - there is no longer a Brightness setting.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    AnnChown
    AnnChown e2 Member 4183 forum postsAnnChown vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Nov 2012 - 2:43 PM

Thanks Pete and Cole - I think the Lightroom killer tips article is very good.

Jestertheclown
    27 Nov 2012 - 3:06 PM

I never use the 'brightness' adjustment in any programme, if there's an alternative.
    I use 'exposure' and/of fill-in light in Lightroom (3.6) and if I make any adjustments in Photoshop (CS5 or 6) I use 'curves.'

JJGEE
    JJGEE  96277 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Nov 2012 - 3:06 PM

Exposure was predominantly used for setting the White Point and Brightness for, well, setting the overall Brightness.

Quote: there is no longer a Brightness setting

This is what the Exposure is for in LR 4

Whites should now be used for setting the White Point.

Ann
    LR 4 is so much better I think you should post a letter to Father Christmas suggesting an upgrade to be left in your stocking Wink

PS
    Do not forget to leave a mince pie out on Christmas Eve ! !

AnnChown
    27 Nov 2012 - 3:14 PM

Quote:
    Ann
    LR 4 is so much better I think you should post a letter to Father Christmas suggesting an upgrade to be left in your stocking Wink

PS
    Do not forget to leave a mince pie out on Christmas Eve ! !

I've already had my Christmas present Jeff - the Canon 100-400 lens! Haven't used it yet tho'! Hope you're well?
    Ann

AnnChown
    27 Nov 2012 - 5:03 PM

Thanks everybody for your input - all very helpful. Smile

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.