Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

expression (group forum)

clicknimagine 5 221 88
12 Jul 2010 11:01AM
do you think, photography is a medium of expression?

can you please share your thoughts (for or against) in this regard?...

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Sooty_1 4 1.3k 203 United Kingdom
12 Jul 2010 11:34AM
I think there is very little that isn't derivative in art, fashion etc.

It is interesting to see how different photographers approach the same subject, but the differences are usually small, and often pictures are critiqued with the same advice about composition, lighting etc. If all pictures were composed according to the 'rules', then they would all tend to look the same....as indeed they often do (just look in the galleries here).

It is possible to express yourself photographically (IMHO), but by restricting yourself to a particular theme/method/style whatever, defeats the object when it becomes repeated. It then stops being an expression, and becomes a style.

True expressions need to be one-offs, or short series, to truly convey the emotions/feelings/mood of the photographer.

Nick
clicknimagine 5 221 88
12 Jul 2010 12:02PM
Thanks a lot Nick, for your valuable input, you are very much welcome to the group, ok as the group is created only to study and help each other to develop our knowledge and skill, accordingly this forum is meant for a valuable debate, so please do not take it otherwise if any member cross you,

your points are really very good,

according to you, True expressions need to be one-offs, or short series, to truly convey the emotions/feelings/mood of the photographer,

so does it mean only one image can not express completely unless it is a short series?

according to you, but by restricting yourself to a particular theme/method/style whatever, defeats the object when it becomes repeated. It then stops being an expression, and becomes a style.

your point is right indeed, but to develop a particular style is really very difficult my friend, the fact is that it is the difference of our thinking, the photographer who think about a particular method, he always repeats several expressions in that particular method resulting a particular style, but that does not become a hindrance to the way of creating an expressive image,

ok, i am giving you an example of a member in this site, he has his own style, he makes expressive images in that particular method resulting a style, but that does not mean, his images are not expressive...
Sooty_1 4 1.3k 203 United Kingdom
12 Jul 2010 12:37PM

Quote:so does it mean only one image can not express completely unless it is a short series?

No, a single image can express the feelings and emotions, but sometimes emotions are mixed or complex, and one image alone cannot necessarily do justice to the subject.

Quote: but to develop a particular style is really very difficult my friend, the fact is that it is the difference of our thinking, the photographer who think about a particular method, he always repeats several expressions in that particular method resulting a particular style, but that does not become a hindrance to the way of creating an expressive image

Developing an individual style can indeed be difficult, and the photographer linked to has a style (you can of course find a plethora of similar images on the net that have been taken in this same style, and some taken a long time ago). However, can you say that each image expresses something different, or are they mainly variations on a theme, shot and processed in the same way? Is the photographer expressing anything except a series of similarly produced pictures?
Do you get an emotional response from viewing them? And importantly, do you get an emotional response from each one, or do they all seem very similar when viewed together?
clicknimagine 5 221 88
12 Jul 2010 12:58PM
beautiful thoughts you have added, i agree with you in this respect,

Developing an individual style can indeed be difficult, and the photographer linked to has a style (you can of course find a plethora of similar images on the net that have been taken in this same style, and some taken a long time ago). However, can you say that each image expresses something different, or are they mainly variations on a theme, shot and processed in the same way? Is the photographer expressing anything except a series of similarly produced pictures?
Do you get an emotional response from viewing them? And importantly, do you get an emotional response from each one, or do they all seem very similar when viewed together?

i agree too, the style he is following may not necessarily be unique or it is not also true that if any one follow the same style, that one may loose uniqueness, the style is coming from thinking, he is following a particular method which is not necessarily unique to the rest of the world but he is trying to repeat it each and every time and thinking about only that method to develop it further, which results in a style,

the point you have provided here mainly relates to the originality (which may differ from person to person, and the term originality (another topic) defers from idea),

the fact is that the expression is different ( you can get hints from the title except a few), or some time he is trying to express the same thing but with a different composition, and it is very much clear he is experimenting...
Dave B 12 113 United Kingdom
31 Jul 2010 11:55AM
Hi, a very interesting discussion.

I must say that I don't get 'expression' coming strongly from George Gradinaru's images. Instead I get a very strong sense of style and narrative. I suppose it requires us to examine what we mean by 'expression' in photography and you make a good point Sooty when you say:

Quote:Do you get an emotional response from viewing them?

That is the crux for me. We essentially have only two people involved in any image, the author and the viewer. Whatever was in the author's mind whilst creating the image is invisible/unknown to the viewer therefore any sense of the author's emotions/feelings/mood we may feel that we pick up on as viewers is simply our own interpretation?

Dave B
clicknimagine 5 221 88
31 Jul 2010 5:19PM
Thanks Dave for your contribution to the thread, as you say there are two people one is the author and the other is the viewer and the image is the medium of communication between them to share an emotion or to give a massage or to give enjoyment, whatever you say, so will it be possible or can you imagine a situation where the author is trying to mean a particular think and the viewer is interpreting it as an exact opposite situation,

ok i am giving you an example of this situation, link , please see this image and say do you think it is a fun image, or can you interpret this image as a funny one, the answer is probably no,

why i am talking this thing because your question is " Whatever was in the author's mind whilst creating the image is invisible/unknown to the viewer therefore any sense of the author's emotions/feelings/mood we may feel that we pick up on as viewers is simply our own interpretation? "

to my point of view it is right, but only 50%,because if the author is arranging the subjects and objects(composition) in any image in such a way as to give a statement and furthermore if the author is giving a title to indicate his feelings and intention in relevance with the composition, your interpretation will generally be directional to a particular expression which the author tried to mean (it is also not true that we can unlock the author's expression in to to), but there should be little scope to you to interpret it exactly opposite,

so our own interpretation depends on the direction of the author so as to mean it as a language,

likewise another example, i am writing this comment to this thread, you may not understand what i am trying to say but you can not interpret this comment otherwise than what i am trying to say...

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.