Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Expressions that annoy you

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
davey_griffo
29 Apr 2010 - 8:33 AM

Wha???

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
29 Apr 2010 - 8:33 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

conrad
conrad  1010874 forum posts116 Constructive Critique Points
29 Apr 2010 - 9:31 AM

How about "doing your thing". Doesn't sound/look very good, but it always makes me think people might try a little harder to be more specific. I mean, what are they doing? What "thing" are we talking about?

dwilkin
dwilkin  724249 forum posts United Kingdom
11 May 2010 - 12:20 PM

Just taken delivery of some new software, and in the instructions it says 'do not loose the software key'

AAAAAAAaaaaaaaaargh! SadSadSadSadSadSadSadSad

Armchair_Ernie
12 May 2010 - 10:05 PM

I'm from Northern Ireland and I hate the way people here end their sentences with "so it is" or "so we are" or "so we will" etc etc....it's like an emphasis that gets used on the end to repeat the sentiment of the sentence, but it's entirely unnecessary..."so it is!"....

For those of you from the "mainland" here's an example....

"It was so funny, we laughed our heads of, so we did!"......or

"I like you, so I do!"....

It just sounds wrong........"so it does!".....

Stop it!

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64387 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
21 Sep 2012 - 12:00 PM

Resurrecting this old thread because I'm sick and tired of being shown a "sneak preview".

It's a preview. What's sneaky about it? It's being shown on national TV for Pete's sake! Sad
Do they think we're silly children? It fair makes my blood boil.
Grin

mdpontin
mdpontin  106016 forum posts Scotland
21 Sep 2012 - 12:35 PM

"Crack on". Does that make any sense? Tongue

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64387 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
21 Sep 2012 - 12:45 PM

slap up meal

Sounds like a refined sort of evening. Grin

macroman
macroman  1115312 forum posts England
21 Sep 2012 - 1:38 PM

'Free' definition:
Not united with, attached to, combined with, or mixed with something else,
without charge, having no trade restrictions, not costing or charging anything,
not taken up with commitments or obligations,not obstructed, restricted, or impeded.

So how does 'buy one get one free' work?

Whats wrong with, 'two for the price of one' or 'buy two at half price'.

Last Modified By macroman at 21 Sep 2012 - 1:39 PM
Railcam
Railcam  7470 forum posts Scotland
21 Sep 2012 - 4:11 PM

Reminds me of many years ago when I needed ome new rear shock absorbers for my car. I went to the local garage and they were 40 with free fitting. I enquired were they any cheaper if I took them and fitted them myself. Yes, they were only 24. Hence the "free" fitting was 16. Nothing is ever "free" it is just "included in the price".

Back to the topic, one thing that is annoying me is the replacement of the word "than" with "that" when using grater than, less than etc. Even appears in official reports now.

SlowSong
21 Sep 2012 - 4:20 PM

I'm on a roll now....Grin

I find it really irritating when people refer to .... "your Tom Cruises, your David Beckhams, your Simon Cowells" etc., as if there are hundreds of them. What's wrong with saying "people such as Tom Cruise", etc.?

Similarly, people who refer to "the wife, or, the little lady". We can do without such patronage, thank you. Wink

Last Modified By SlowSong at 21 Sep 2012 - 4:21 PM
Ewanneil
Ewanneil  41118 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
21 Sep 2012 - 4:37 PM

What a coincidence that this thread has been resurrected for I was just ranting this morning, not so much about an expression that bugs me but about vocal intonation. My wife was watching Judge Judy and some young American lass was giving evidence. When she spoke the intonation in her voice invariably rose on the last syllable. Lots of Americans and Australians do this and in makes it sound as though the speaker is asking a question when they are really just making a statement.

To my UK ears it grates terribly. I'm sorry if I have upset any Americans or Aussies.

The other thing that bugs me is when people say "how are we today" when they really mean "how are you today". AAAAgh.

keith selmes
21 Sep 2012 - 4:41 PM

Quote: people who refer to "the wife, or, the little lady".

when they could have said "trouble and strife" or "ball and chain", or more trendy, "bag for life" Grin

(just trying to be helpful Smile )

SlowSong
21 Sep 2012 - 5:03 PM

Quote: people who refer to "the wife, or, the little lady".when they could have said "trouble and strife" or "ball and chain", or more trendy, "bag for life" Grin
(just trying to be helpful Smile )

Well I just think those are just hackneyed old phrases which some men still seem to think are funny and blokeish. Nudge, nudge, wink, wink - know what I mean lads. Grin I think it's the prefix "the" and "little" that I object to. Rather belittling.

But thank you for trying to help.
Grin

wasper
wasper e2 Member 8532 forum postswasper vcard Ireland1 Constructive Critique Points
21 Sep 2012 - 5:58 PM

Two DVDs for 20 or 3DVDs for 30. Why not just say 10/DVD!

pulsar69
pulsar69  101611 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
21 Sep 2012 - 6:24 PM

'Im doing a wedding for a friend and would just like to ask .....'

Gets right on my tits that one haha

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.