Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Expressions that annoy you

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

RichardN00
RichardN00 e2 Member 8427 forum postsRichardN00 vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
1 Oct 2012 - 1:17 PM

Manager types who say "it would be really good if you could..." or "I'd appreaciate it if you could..." instead of coming straight out and saying what they want

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
1 Oct 2012 - 1:17 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade  1014723 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
1 Oct 2012 - 1:19 PM

So politeness isn't a good thing...

well that explains a lot Wink

mdpontin
mdpontin  106016 forum posts Scotland
1 Oct 2012 - 1:53 PM

Looks like you can't win if you're a manager - something which probably comes as no surprise to most managers. Either you annoy Keith or you annoy Richard. Tongue Still, with a bit more effort it might be possible to annoy both of them simultaneously!

Which reminds me of an old Marty Feldman sketch, where with mock seriousness he points out that watching television with your windows wide open in summer can annoy your neighbours. Then with a manic grin he goes on to say... "Other ways you can annoy them include..." Wink

Last Modified By mdpontin at 1 Oct 2012 - 1:55 PM
RichardN00
RichardN00 e2 Member 8427 forum postsRichardN00 vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
1 Oct 2012 - 6:02 PM

Quote: So politeness isn't a good thing...

well that explains a lot Wink

I'm all for politeness, when it's genuine. Smile

What I was trying to say is I dislike (that's another one of my pet peeves, people who say hate, when all they mean is mildly dislike) synthetic politeness, when people ask me to do something and imply that it will make them ecstatic if I do it. Just ask me to do something, politely but to the point

I have been a manager in the past so I've seen it from the other side as well Smile

Perhaps I'm just a grumpy so and so who regrets the drift towards the mid Atlantic Smile

Last Modified By RichardN00 at 1 Oct 2012 - 6:04 PM
macroman
macroman  1115312 forum posts England
1 Oct 2012 - 6:10 PM

Drivers who brake and then signal, usually at the last moment before making the turn.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139392 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
1 Oct 2012 - 6:49 PM

Quote: Drivers who brake and then signal, usually at the last moment before making the turn.

How is that an 'expression' ? Grin

RichardN00
1 Oct 2012 - 7:18 PM

Quote: Drivers who brake and then signal, usually at the last moment before making the turn.

How is that an 'expression' ? Grin

It's an expression of contempt for other road users Smile

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139392 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
1 Oct 2012 - 7:24 PM

Quote: It's an expression of contempt for other road users

But it's not verbal! Wink

macroman
1 Oct 2012 - 8:15 PM

Sorry, should have been in't grumpy thread, grey cells have been overdoing it a bit. Smile

shadow18
shadow18  3406 forum posts England
2 Oct 2012 - 3:21 AM

Oh! Finally, here is the perfect place to complain about this!! Grin
Those stupid, stupid stores that always have the aisles that say "20 items or less" nooo! It is "20 items or FEWER!!" Every grocery store I have gone in except for one ALWAYS says "less" SOOO annoying! Then you have to stand there in line looking at it! 8(
The one and only grocery store that uses the correct grammar is more expensive, so I always have to go to the stupid grocery stores! Tongue
So there! That has bothered me many times in my lifetime, and no one else seems to understand! Tongue

Just tonight I was picking up milk and had to wait in line with a "20 items or LESS. " sign. It was not pleasant company. Lol! Tongue

cats_123
cats_123 e2 Member 103999 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland24 Constructive Critique Points
2 Oct 2012 - 6:37 AM

"New VS Mode" Wink

CaptivePhotons
CaptivePhotons e2 Member 111515 forum postsCaptivePhotons vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
2 Oct 2012 - 7:35 AM

Can we opt-out? Tongue

mdpontin
mdpontin  106016 forum posts Scotland
2 Oct 2012 - 7:52 AM

Quote: "20 items or less" nooo! It is "20 items or FEWER!!"

Ah. Now you've tapped into another seam of grump! Since when did we become able to buy a "scissor", or a "trouser"? They only ever used to come in pairs, back during my formative years. What happened? I suppose technology and fashions move on and leaves us grumpies behind - that's the only explanation I can come up with...aside from a sharp drop in basic literacy.

mikehit
mikehit  46165 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
2 Oct 2012 - 9:27 AM

'An increase of 150%' when they mean 'an increase of 50%'.

And 'a decrease of 100%' means you have zero. Zilch. Nada. It DOES NOT MEAN it is now half of what it was....

macroman
2 Oct 2012 - 10:32 AM

Quote: when did we become able to buy a "scissor", or a "trouser"?

I suspect that those products are made abroad, and the people who design the labels do not grasp the intricacies/niceties of the English language, which can be hard for 'furriners' to understand.

At least it keeps them in their place. Smile

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.