Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Expressions that annoy you

conrad 10 10.9k 116
2 Oct 2012 10:46AM
Or worse, the 'English' text on the labels was a 'machine translation'. (Oh horror of horrors!)

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
2 Oct 2012 10:47AM

Quote:"20 items or less" nooo! It is "20 items or FEWER!!"
Ah. Now you've tapped into another seam of grump! Since when did we become able to buy a "scissor", or a "trouser"?

Look at it from the other angle: why are they in the plural form?
Focus_Man 4 481 631 United Kingdom
2 Oct 2012 10:56AM
TV Programmes and even BBC News will say " The government are going to do................"

The government is a singular item and therefore demands the singular tense ie "The government is going to do......."

similarly, "The jury arrived at their verdict........" should be "The jury arrived at its verdict......" and no apostrophe between "t" and "s" either, one of those English anomolies.

I find myself shouting at the television when it is BBC as that organisation is supposed to uphold "The Queen's English."

What about football managers who say before a match "We are hoping to get a result." Don't they always, a win, a draw or a loss.
Ewanneil 4 1.1k 2 Scotland
2 Oct 2012 11:09AM
Or the BBC newsreaders who say "... and now the news and weather where you live." just before going over to the regional newsrooms where surprise, surprise they are not giving me the news and weather from my town but are instead giving me the same news and weather that someone who lives in Lerwick (468 miles from my house) is getting.

I don't necessarily want the news and weather from my town. I just want them to say something more appropriate.
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
2 Oct 2012 11:20AM
Ah! the collective noun. It still causes much discussion among students of English and there is no right or wrong way.
2 Oct 2012 1:29PM

Quote:Ah! the collective noun. It still causes much discussion among students of English and there is no right or wrong way.

Oh yes there is! Maybe modern day people who finish sentences with "Innit" and "Yeah!" discuss the matter but pure English demands that a singular word 'Is' going to do something as opposed to 'are' going to.

I do see that words change according to "English as it is spoke" (sic) and as foreigners and the uneducated endeavour to change our once great and still world-wide language with Franglais and other mixed lingual verbiage, but for me English as it is spoken is "The Queen's English" and long may it remain so.
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
2 Oct 2012 1:47PM

Quote:Ah! the collective noun. It still causes much discussion among students of English and there is no right or wrong way.

pure English demands that a singular word 'Is' going to do something as opposed to 'are' going to.

Try googling 'collective noun plural' and you will see that it is not as clear cut as you seem to think. But then again they are probably all wrong as well.
shadow18 3 406 England
2 Oct 2012 2:18PM
Isn't it supposed to be like this?

"parliament is going to pass a law."
"parliament are arguing about the law"
"the flock is migrating south"
"the flock are scattering as the car drives by them."

Not the best examples, but I thought it had to do with if they acted as a group or as individuals.
shadow18 3 406 England
2 Oct 2012 2:45PM
Oh! And haha! I started a new grumpy seam! Grin that's hilarious!

Finally, people who understand my annoyance with "20 item or less!" that makes me so happy because usually nobody commiserates with my incorrect grammar annoyances! Either they're like whatever or they maybe don't understand because they don't know grammar!

Or maybe I'm pedantic! Oh dear! Dear me! What shall I do?
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
2 Oct 2012 3:38PM
Carry on being pedantic, of course. Having an excuse to be grumpy means the simple things are more enjoyable....so says my wife, anyway (I have no idea what she means).
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
2 Oct 2012 3:44PM

Quote:Isn't it supposed to be like this?

Not the best examples, but I thought it had to do with if they acted as a group or as individuals.

So if the jury and the government are not unanimous in their decision....? Wink
keith selmes 11 7.1k 1 United Kingdom
2 Oct 2012 4:15PM
Teacher: Now then, trousers, singular or plural ?
Boy: Please sir, singular at the top, and plural at the bottom.
2 Oct 2012 4:33PM

Quote:Isn't it supposed to be like this?

should of course be as follows.

"parliament is arguing about the law"
"the flock is scattering as the car drives by them."

Or
The members of parliament are arguing about the law
and
The birds of the flock are scattering as the car drives by.

simple really. The problem is, as I mentioned earlier, errors creep in and become accepted as common usage. For my education at Liverpool's top (and still is) Grammar School in the 1950s correct grammar still rules the day as it did then. The Queen's English.
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
2 Oct 2012 4:45PM

Quote: errors creep in and become accepted as common usage

And I guess Shakespeare, Dr Johnson, Bronte and Byron would say the same thing.
newfocus 8 644 2 United Kingdom
2 Oct 2012 10:17PM

Quote:errors creep in and become accepted as common usage

Yes - that's just how evolution works Wink

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.