Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Expressions that annoy you

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

mdpontin
mdpontin  106016 forum posts Scotland
17 Oct 2012 - 1:31 AM

Quote: Just googled it, and apparently it's the term for an informal lunch-time meeting where no food is provided.....hence the brown bag for your own sandwiches etc.

What a wonderful world we live in!

Great, so "give up your lunch break, and we won't even compensate you by providing some food"? Considering well-meaning folk keep telling us of the importance of taking regular breaks, and how it's a bad idea to take lunch at your desk, I hardly feel a thrill of excitement at the prospect.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
17 Oct 2012 - 1:31 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

macroman
macroman  1115312 forum posts England
27 Oct 2012 - 10:45 PM

Not exactly an expression, but rather strange anyway...
In a shop today and noticed that they were selling 'mould spray'. Grin
Who needs to spray mould all over the place?
Daft I calls it. Smile

Graham_Rainham
27 Oct 2012 - 10:55 PM

News readers that seem compelled to say their name whenever they start or stop talking to camera.

Sooty_1
Sooty_1 Critique Team 41173 forum posts United Kingdom196 Constructive Critique Points
27 Oct 2012 - 11:15 PM

Hi, I'm Tom Tucker....

I hate bad grammar, spelling and punctuation.

10 items or less. FEWER! 10 items or FEWER!

Plus... "How are you?"

"I'm good" ...... Good at what?

mdpontin
28 Oct 2012 - 11:11 AM

The use of the wrong word, or poorly constructed sentences - leaving aside bad grammar - is a widespread phenomenon. There's a bit of a difference, for example, between "advance" and "advanced". There was a signboard up at a depot for a major engineering project near here describing it as the "Advanced Engineering Works". Actually it was the "Advance Engineering Works" as they were doing preliminary work at the time. There was nothing advanced about what they were doing.

I've just read a news article about the Borders Rail project in which the author says that a contract was due to be signed with Network Rail to build the line by next Wednesday. Grin Surely he meant that a contract was expected to be signed by next Wednesday, to build the line? Either that, or we're about to see an engineering miracle! Advanced engineering, in fact. Smile

thewilliam
28 Oct 2012 - 11:32 AM

Quote: News readers that seem compelled to say their name whenever they start or stop talking to camera.

"Here's the news at 10 o'clock. I'm XXXXX" How can his name possibly be "news" when he gave the same name last time he read the news: and the time before that?

I find it sad that "celebrity gossip" is now regarded as news by TV stations, many papers and the AoL front page.

Ewanneil
Ewanneil  41118 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
28 Oct 2012 - 11:42 AM

@ mdpontin - If you keep up to date with matters in the Borders you will know that a popular local sport is rugby - a game played by men with funny shaped balls. Wink

Last Modified By Ewanneil at 28 Oct 2012 - 11:42 AM
lemmy
lemmy  71762 forum posts United Kingdom
28 Oct 2012 - 12:18 PM

There is a trend to try to sound important by using tautology or more words than necessary. Over-optimistic. Second -guess. I am supportive of (I support). It happened at 4pm in the afternoon (as opposed to 4pm in the morning?).

Also, the reporter's stock phrases which are so over-used as to be meaningless. 'This is a close knit community struggling to come to terms with what has happened'.

A lot of this stuff is just plain lazy but when you look at some of the posts on this and other forums you realize how rotten our education system has become and that it isn't the poster's fault.

Having said that, spell checkers are free and quite effective.

Sooty_1
Sooty_1 Critique Team 41173 forum posts United Kingdom196 Constructive Critique Points
28 Oct 2012 - 12:32 PM

And they don't like txt spk!

mdpontin
28 Oct 2012 - 1:44 PM

Quote: ...a game played by men with funny shaped balls. Wink

A well-known characteristic of Borderers and former pupils of the Merchant schools (and some others) in Edinburgh. I've heard that it even afflicts men in some other parts of Scotland, too! Wink

Ah the confusion that can occur just by careless writing! Grin

lemmy
lemmy  71762 forum posts United Kingdom
28 Oct 2012 - 5:10 PM

Quote: Ah the confusion that can occur just by careless writing!

A classic bit of sloppy writing bandied around among journalists was a picture caption for a photograph of Lord Derby standing in the main hall of his stately home.

The pic caption was 'Lord Derby photographed in the main hall of his stately home where he holds his balls and dances' Grin

I can't vouch for the veracity of this, unfortunately.

petebfrance
28 Oct 2012 - 7:37 PM

Quote: The pic caption was 'Lord Derby photographed in the main hall of his stately home where he holds his balls and dances'

Brilliant - now that really conjures up a picture, but I bet the photo didn't live up to it Grin

joolsb
joolsb  927115 forum posts Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
28 Oct 2012 - 9:37 PM

"Things are changing for the worst" when they should be changing for the worse. How can you know it's the 'worst' when you don't have the benefit of a fair bit of hindsight?

Documentaries where they try to fill time by saying the same thing over and over again (or they assume the audience are morons). In a recent documentary about stars, the point was made that our sun will grow massively and eventually consume the Earth at least four times in quick succession! Once is enough, thanks. Twice is emphasis, three times is insulting my intelligence and four has me imagining my hands around the producer's scrawny necků Grin

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014002 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
28 Oct 2012 - 9:57 PM

Quote: "Things are changing for the worst" when they should be changing for the worse.

No they are clearly swapping things for sausages..it seems to be a popular option.

Graham_Rainham
28 Oct 2012 - 10:59 PM

"Professional" camera Tongue

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.