Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Expressions that annoy you

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
mdpontin
mdpontin  106016 forum posts Scotland
1 Nov 2012 - 11:55 AM

"Catch you later". Really?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
1 Nov 2012 - 11:55 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

lemmy
lemmy  71831 forum posts United Kingdom
1 Nov 2012 - 1:01 PM

Anytime soon?

Billlee
Billlee  85531 forum posts England
2 Nov 2012 - 1:37 AM

Does this annoy anyone else..... when people can't or won't say SIXTH.... they say SICTH ... Makes me SIC!!!

KarenFB
KarenFB Junior Gallery Team 84271 forum postsKarenFB vcard England163 Constructive Critique Points
2 Nov 2012 - 7:22 AM

I've been sat here saying 6th over and over again.........................

...............guilty! Sad
(Well, 6th is so much easier to say then 6th!)

RogBrown
RogBrown  73002 forum posts England10 Constructive Critique Points
2 Nov 2012 - 9:51 AM

Quote: I've been sat here

Now that really annoys me. Should be "I've been sitting here". But then I'm feeling really grumpy this morning. Might pop over to the Grumpy Group for a moan in a minute. Wink

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014786 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
2 Nov 2012 - 10:06 AM

really?

you're a proper grump Rog Wink

I bet you feel like killing people using "who" when it should be "whom" - good job there are strong gun laws in the UK Wink

mdpontin
2 Nov 2012 - 10:43 AM

Quote: Now that really annoys me. Should be "I've been sitting here".

I resisted the temptation. I'm glad I did now, as it gave Rog an outlet for his grumpitude. Smile

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014786 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
2 Nov 2012 - 10:47 AM

He gets like this when his piles play up Wink

lemmy
2 Nov 2012 - 10:49 AM

Quote: grumpitude

grumpitude? grumpitude? That word really annoys me! What kind of word is that? They never taught that to me when I was at school! You thyibnk RogBrown was grumpy? I'll show you grumpy! So grumpy am I that I am off to the shed to get my chainsaw en route to the supermarket and a bit of berserkivitousness Smile

Ewanneil
Ewanneil  41118 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
2 Nov 2012 - 11:35 AM

I'm loving all this grumpiness. Why can't people just use the simple present tense - "I love..." ?

mdpontin
2 Nov 2012 - 11:57 AM

Quote: grumpitude? grumpitude? That word really annoys me! What kind of word is that? They never taught that to me when I was at school!

I thought I'd coined it myself, but sadly it turns out that there's an entry for it on the Urban Dictionary website:

Quote: One's overall level of grumpiness. Grumpitude, also known as the grumpitude factor or grumpitude quotient is a numerical value, rated on a logarithmic scale similar to that of the richter scale for earthquake magnitude. A grumpitude factor of 6 is 10 times higher than a grumpitude factor of 5.

I'm not sure whether to be grumpy about that or not.

digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
2 Nov 2012 - 1:29 PM

Like it or not, language evolves. New words are added to the dictionary each year and it helps keep our language the rich playground for the literate that it is. Smile

AlanPerkins
2 Nov 2012 - 6:38 PM

Quote: Like it or not, language evolves. New words are added to the dictionary each year and it helps keep our language the rich playground for the literate that it is. Smile

Doesn't mean we have to like it though! Wink

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
2 Nov 2012 - 7:30 PM

Gadzooks! Grin

If we spoke in the way people did, as little as 50 years ago, it would sound a bit odd to the modern ear - let alone 100, 200 etc years.

lemmy
2 Nov 2012 - 7:58 PM

I have no problems with language evolving at all. All I don't like is when that 'evolution' dilutes the language.

For example, traumatise has a Germanic root, from traum, meaning dream. It was applied to shell shock victims in the first world war who would withdraw from the world into a speechless and unresponsive state.

But now I read of children who are traumatized because their teacher tells them off. So if a mild rebuke results in trauma - now meaning 'a bit upset', how do we describe a terrorist bomb victim - truamatized...a bit upset?

On TV a while ago Mary Portas went into a shop and received bad service....she came out and said that she was 'literally clinically depressed' by the experience'. Illustrating that she knows neither the meaning of literal, clinical or depressed and demeaning all of them.

I speak French, a beautiful language, much more concerned with sound than English. But English, while less beautiful has a huge capacity for expression and a wonderful kleptomaniac attitude towards other languages.

Mind you, with a French friend a while back who speaks 'English', I pointed out to her that what she really spoke was American. English is unique among languages in that the native country speakers (us, 60 billion) are outnumbered massively by the 'foreign' speakers, 960 billion of them. Much of the true evolution of the language comes from America nowadays. So to my French friend with her bsuiness English, curtains were 'drapes'for example.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.