Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Expressions that annoy you

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

50% OFF new PortraitPro 12, plus EXTRA 5% OFF code EPHZROS414
MikeRC
MikeRC e2 Member 83465 forum postsMikeRC vcard United Kingdom
2 Apr 2010 - 11:59 AM

you missed...."does it tick all the boxes ?"

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139370 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points

"Can I get?" ............. which, apparently, means "May I have?"

Example: "Can I get a latte?" - to be heard in coffee shops throughout the country.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1013940 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
2 Apr 2010 - 12:07 PM

Quote: You missed...."does it tick all the boxes ?"

Which should ideally be combined with "thinking outside the box" so that no one has a clue what to do with the boxes or where they are!

Ganto
Ganto  7769 forum posts Ireland2 Constructive Critique Points
2 Apr 2010 - 12:09 PM

Quote: You missed...."does it tick all the boxes ?"

True, but we are where we are.

RogBrown
RogBrown e2 Member 72987 forum postsRogBrown vcard England10 Constructive Critique Points
2 Apr 2010 - 12:14 PM

Quote: "Can I get?" ............. which, apparently, means "May I have?"

Example: "Can I get a latte?" - to be heard in coffee shops throughout the country.

To which one quick-thinking assistant apparently replied, "No it's ok. I'll get it for you." Smile

MeanGreeny
2 Apr 2010 - 12:28 PM

People who use "pro-active" should be gutted with a blunt spoon. Most of them also use "going forward" so we should be able to remove both phrases from the face of the earth in one "fowl swoop" [instead of fell swoop]....... which is another one I hate.

Tooth
Tooth  95772 forum posts Ireland227 Constructive Critique Points
2 Apr 2010 - 12:41 PM

on the subject of coffee, I hate having to ask for an Americano when I just want a normal cup of coffee..

In shops here, you often get a "see you later" from the chirpy shop assistant when leaving, as if you'regoing to meet them in the pub or something..

and finally, my biggest pet hate..

"Literally"..eg I heard a radio host last week say God that's terrible, you must have literally been frightened to death"

but his assumption was blown out of the water when his interviewee replied to him... Smile

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 109977 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
2 Apr 2010 - 1:22 PM

"Everyone" as in "Everyone is hoping theat Rooney's ankle will get better etc" and "everyone is hanging on the results of "Big X Factory" " you know the sort of stuff I mean.

I for one don't give a monkeys about any of the things that "Everyone" is supposed to be concerned about!

dlegros
dlegros  11217 forum posts England
2 Apr 2010 - 1:38 PM

Quote: My manager does a lot of "Helicoptering" over how best to improve performance and get things done

Going slightly OT as I like this expression - Seagull Management: To flap in, cr*p all over the place and flap out, a speciality of NHS managers Smile

Last Modified By dlegros at 2 Apr 2010 - 1:38 PM
montechoro
montechoro  112340 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
2 Apr 2010 - 1:51 PM

He put 150% effort into scoring that goal.

Gordon Brown would be delighted with that much creativity with numbers

66tricky
66tricky  7742 forum posts Scotland
2 Apr 2010 - 4:54 PM

Quote: "Can I get?" ............. which, apparently, means "May I have?"

To which one quick-thinking assistant apparently replied, "No it's ok. I'll get it for you." Smile

Like one of the late, great Chic Murray's gags...

I rang the bell of this small bed and breakfast place, whereupon a lady appeared at an outside window. "What do you want?", she asked. "I want to stay here", I replied. "Well, stay there then", she said and closed the window.

Grin

James_G
James_G  7166 forum posts5 Constructive Critique Points
2 Apr 2010 - 5:31 PM

Living the dream - if you're living it, it isn't a dream.
Razed to the ground - If something's razed there's no where else for it to be
Meet with - Awful Americanism, the 'with' is an abomination

and a great one I got from an American PR the other day, referring to setting up a meeting with a couple of other people he said he wanted to hard block our calenders. It took me a while to realise he just wanted to set a time to meet...

James.

Billlee
Billlee  75525 forum posts England
2 Apr 2010 - 5:40 PM

"At this moment in time".... instead of NOW ! Why use one word when you can use 5 ?
Sicth instead of sixth ... Listen for it... it will drive you up the wall.
Oh and yes drawrer and drawring instead of drawer and drawing.

RogBrown
RogBrown e2 Member 72987 forum postsRogBrown vcard England10 Constructive Critique Points
2 Apr 2010 - 5:43 PM

H pronounced haitch instead of aitch.

macroman
macroman  1115312 forum posts England
2 Apr 2010 - 6:40 PM

Really, really, really, really, really....Repeated ad infinitum, several times in any conversation.
TV presenters are the WORST offenders.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.