Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Expressions that annoy you

MikeRC e2
9 3.5k United Kingdom
2 Apr 2010 11:59AM
you missed...."does it tick all the boxes ?"

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
2 Apr 2010 11:59AM
"Can I get?" ............. which, apparently, means "May I have?"

Example: "Can I get a latte?" - to be heard in coffee shops throughout the country.
lobsterboy e2
11 14.2k 13 United Kingdom
2 Apr 2010 12:07PM

Quote:You missed...."does it tick all the boxes ?"
Which should ideally be combined with "thinking outside the box" so that no one has a clue what to do with the boxes or where they are!
Ganto 8 769 2 Ireland
2 Apr 2010 12:09PM

Quote:You missed...."does it tick all the boxes ?"

True, but we are where we are.
RogBrown 7 3.0k 10 England
2 Apr 2010 12:14PM

Quote:"Can I get?" ............. which, apparently, means "May I have?"

Example: "Can I get a latte?" - to be heard in coffee shops throughout the country.

To which one quick-thinking assistant apparently replied, "No it's ok. I'll get it for you." Smile
MeanGreeny 9 3.7k England
2 Apr 2010 12:28PM
People who use "pro-active" should be gutted with a blunt spoon. Most of them also use "going forward" so we should be able to remove both phrases from the face of the earth in one "fowl swoop" [instead of fell swoop]....... which is another one I hate.
Tooth 9 5.8k 227 Ireland
2 Apr 2010 12:41PM
on the subject of coffee, I hate having to ask for an Americano when I just want a normal cup of coffee..

In shops here, you often get a "see you later" from the chirpy shop assistant when leaving, as if you'regoing to meet them in the pub or something..

and finally, my biggest pet hate..

"Literally"..eg I heard a radio host last week say God that's terrible, you must have literally been frightened to death"

but his assumption was blown out of the water when his interviewee replied to him... Smile
brian1208 e2
11 10.6k 12 United Kingdom
2 Apr 2010 1:22PM
"Everyone" as in "Everyone is hoping theat Rooney's ankle will get better etc" and "everyone is hanging on the results of "Big X Factory" " you know the sort of stuff I mean.

I for one don't give a monkeys about any of the things that "Everyone" is supposed to be concerned about!
dlegros 12 217 England
2 Apr 2010 1:38PM

Quote:My manager does a lot of "Helicoptering" over how best to improve performance and get things done

Going slightly OT as I like this expression - Seagull Management: To flap in, cr*p all over the place and flap out, a speciality of NHS managers Smile
montechoro 12 2.3k 2 United Kingdom
2 Apr 2010 1:51PM
He put 150% effort into scoring that goal.

Gordon Brown would be delighted with that much creativity with numbers
66tricky 8 742 Scotland
2 Apr 2010 4:54PM

Quote:"Can I get?" ............. which, apparently, means "May I have?"

To which one quick-thinking assistant apparently replied, "No it's ok. I'll get it for you." Smile

Like one of the late, great Chic Murray's gags...

I rang the bell of this small bed and breakfast place, whereupon a lady appeared at an outside window. "What do you want?", she asked. "I want to stay here", I replied. "Well, stay there then", she said and closed the window.

Grin
James_G 7 166 5
2 Apr 2010 5:31PM
Living the dream - if you're living it, it isn't a dream.
Razed to the ground - If something's razed there's no where else for it to be
Meet with - Awful Americanism, the 'with' is an abomination

and a great one I got from an American PR the other day, referring to setting up a meeting with a couple of other people he said he wanted to hard block our calenders. It took me a while to realise he just wanted to set a time to meet...

James.
Billlee 8 5.5k England
2 Apr 2010 5:40PM
"At this moment in time".... instead of NOW ! Why use one word when you can use 5 ?
Sicth instead of sixth ... Listen for it... it will drive you up the wall.
Oh and yes drawrer and drawring instead of drawer and drawing.
RogBrown 7 3.0k 10 England
2 Apr 2010 5:43PM
H pronounced haitch instead of aitch.
macroman 11 15.3k England
2 Apr 2010 6:40PM
Really, really, really, really, really....Repeated ad infinitum, several times in any conversation.
TV presenters are the WORST offenders.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.