Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Expressions that annoy you

Gaucho e2
12 2.4k 2 United Kingdom
12 Nov 2012 5:12PM
As of today...

"Going to get a grip" (as in BBC/Newsnight). The stand-in DG used this 6 times in an interview today. Apart from that he doesn't seem capable of speaking English as wot it ort to be.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cuffit 8 185 2 England
12 Nov 2012 6:39PM
Gaucho, I thought his most interesting line was that he was going to determine: "If the public are going to get journalism they trust from the BBC I have to be, as director general, very clear on who is running the news operation and ensuring that journalism we put out passes muster." It appears neither he nor the acting DG know who is currently responsible for the standards of BBC journalism. In the spirit of the original thread I am, like, kindalike, gobsmacked.
Gaucho e2
12 2.4k 2 United Kingdom
12 Nov 2012 7:44PM
At the end of the day and having all said and done I really ought to get a grip.
zebraboy 10 197 Australia
12 Nov 2012 7:51PM
'not fit for purpose' & 'untenable position', these are getting a bit tired.
User_Removed 10 17.9k 8 Norway
12 Nov 2012 8:26PM
"Oh My God!! - I mean... (he/she) ACTUALLY...."

Spoken in nasal, 'Chav', raised - and female-only - voice.
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
13 Nov 2012 2:14PM
When some self-proclaimed expert (particularly scientists) says " We used to believe that....but now we know....".
You just know that chances are in 5 years they will be saying the same thing about their new theory.
oldblokeh 3 920 United Kingdom
13 Nov 2012 2:21PM

Quote:When some self-proclaimed expert (particularly scientists) says " We used to believe that....but now we know....".
You just know that chances are in 5 years they will be saying the same thing about their new theory.

That's how science works, unlike religion where self-proclaimed leaders utter the same hogwash forever despite having no evidence whatsoever to support them, or politics where self-proclaimed experts utter whatever hogwash they think will please the newspapers or rich party donors.
Canonshots 4 106 13 United Kingdom
13 Nov 2012 2:38PM
My pet hate is "...as many as... followed by some number, e.g. "As many as 30 Conservative MPs may vote against the government." Now there is only one number that is as many as 30, and that number is 30, so the "as many as" is totally redundant.
Canonshots 4 106 13 United Kingdom
13 Nov 2012 2:44PM

Quote:Does this annoy anyone else..... when people can't or won't say SIXTH.... they say SICTH ... Makes me SIC!!!

Try saying "fifths and sixths" rapidly, over and over again. It's the most effective tongue twister I ever encountered.
mellybear 2 1
13 Nov 2012 6:42PM
The comment which annoys me is..... bless or bless them, drives me CRAZY.
Tooth 9 5.8k 227 Ireland
14 Nov 2012 12:05AM

Quote: Does this annoy anyone else..... when people can't or won't say SIXTH.... they say SICTH

or a simple word like texts - as in more than one text message...the number of people who say "texties" cos they're seemingly incapable of stringing four consonant sounds together..

Quote: Try saying "fifths and sixths" rapidly
reminds me of when I went to the speech therapist and explained how I had difficulty pronouncing "f" or "th"..

he said..

"you can't say fairer than that, then..."
zebraboy 10 197 Australia
14 Nov 2012 1:14AM

Quote:the number of people who say "texties" cos they're seemingly incapable of stringing four consonant sounds together

Never heard anyone say "texties"
Tooth 9 5.8k 227 Ireland
14 Nov 2012 1:33AM
Watch Jeremy Kyle....
Photoluv86 2 20 United States
17 Nov 2012 4:34AM
I think the one that bothers me the most is, "It is what it is."
monstersnowman 9 1.7k 1 England
17 Nov 2012 6:33AM
Football fans saying "the manager is tactically naive" .. Most of them don't know their backside from a cliche and just churn this out instead of saying "I said he was the next messiah but I honestly haven't got a clue so I will use the most common cliche I can remember when it all turns to sh*te" ..... The average caller on a talksport phone-in has got an iq lower than their age so what can we expect really ;0)

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.