Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Expressions that annoy you

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
dcash29
dcash29  81870 forum posts England
1 May 2013 - 10:22 PM

Shop assistants......"Can I help you mate"

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
1 May 2013 - 10:22 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139367 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
1 May 2013 - 10:54 PM

"Sir" or "guv" are acceptable........ "mate" - never! Grin

RogBrown
RogBrown e2 Member 72987 forum postsRogBrown vcard England10 Constructive Critique Points
1 May 2013 - 10:56 PM

Or "darling" from till girls. Sad

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 53989 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
2 May 2013 - 7:55 AM

Surely being called "dear" by teenage shop assistants has to be the most ageing expression in the world. Sad

ian5986
ian5986  1030 forum posts United Kingdom
2 May 2013 - 9:08 AM

We have a lady at work that refers to everyone (male/female) as "Duck", in Scotland they refer to people as "Hen" and in the north where I am from originally many people say "Alright Chuck"..................not quite sure what this fascination is with referring to people as birds??

Humour apart, the vocabulary of the modern youth is now as bad as their spelling and ability to do basic maths in their heads and no thanks to the texting slang and influence from overseas and the days of good old "Cockney Rhyme" has become mauled language resulting in todays phrases of confusion...... Bad = Good / Cool = nice / Awesome = a mixture of good/thanks/well done...........

Becoming a case of confused.com!

RogBrown
RogBrown e2 Member 72987 forum postsRogBrown vcard England10 Constructive Critique Points
2 May 2013 - 9:34 AM

Quote: Bad = Good / Cool = nice / Awesome = a mixture of good/thanks/well done...........

Wicked! Grin

Nigeyboy
Nigeyboy  5534 forum posts United Kingdom
2 May 2013 - 9:44 AM

I'm 36, and I guess I must be a bit old fashioned like some of you more 'senior' types ( Wink )

I have 2 children, aged 12 and 5. My partner and I always pick them up on their grammar and manners. As such, I think it gives / will give them an edge when they get older, if some of their peers are anything to go by!!

RE the topic - my pet hate is all the stupid expressions I hear during meetings at work. Here are a few:

"Lets touch base later"
"I'll pencil that in . . ."
"We are having a brown bag discussion about that later" (no idea what this means)
And the best:
"Now we are all working within this multi vendor ecosystem . . . "

cattyal
cattyal e2 Member 85791 forum postscattyal vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
2 May 2013 - 10:09 AM

Quote: Shop assistants......"Can I help you mate"

My ex-husband called me 'mate' once - I never forgave him......... Smile

RogBrown
2 May 2013 - 11:00 AM

Quote: "We are having a brown bag discussion about that later" (no idea what this means)

I think it means a lunchtime meeting ie over sandwiches from a brown bag. Then again, what do I know? Smile

WhiteRose1
WhiteRose1 e2 Member 4963 forum postsWhiteRose1 vcard England129 Constructive Critique Points
2 May 2013 - 11:03 AM

Yo Language be uh living, ever-changing thin`. Forsoof, ah bet even Shakespeare iz turning in his grave when hearing da Queens cracker ass english this day. an' (yeea , ah know ah've started uh sentence wif uh conjunction!) Jim Kirk's split infinitive iz not regarded as uh mistake anymo'. If you wants ta engage wif da new generation you gots ta be able ta jive da jive as well as walk da walk. Resisting da inevitable gots Canute nowhere Don' make me come ova there bitch...

keith selmes
2 May 2013 - 11:33 AM

Quote: ah know ah've started uh sentence wif uh conjunction!

shakespeare doesn't mind, he does that himself. his spelling and grammar are imaginative, his humour and language basic. probably why his stuff is still popular.

whatriveristhis
whatriveristhis e2 Member 160 forum postswhatriveristhis vcard England60 Constructive Critique Points
16 Oct 2013 - 3:00 PM

"To" instead of "Too."
"Of" instead of "Off."
"Defiantly" instead of "Definitely."
"Capture" used as a noun, instead of "Photograph."
A glottal stop in place of a consonant.
"The font of all knowledge," instead of "fount."

And anything whatsoever issuing from the mouth of Bruce Forsyth that attempts to amuse or entertain.

NaturesHaven
NaturesHaven e2 Member 2246 forum postsNaturesHaven vcard England5 Constructive Critique Points
16 Oct 2013 - 3:46 PM

People not understanding the difference between brought and bought...........you hear the word being used in the wrong context daily by newsreaders especially.........SadSadSad

Another that gets my hackles raised is there and their..........what has happened to the teaching of the language, I know that language changes and evolves over time................but please get the basics right...........GrinGrinGrin

One of the main things that gets my goat is the use of the small i to start a sentence and the continued use of the small i throughout the message................also where is the punctuation, I keep seeing text written without any kind of punctuation at all............I run out of breath reading the text sometimes............GrinGrinGrinGrinGrinGrin

Is it me but have all the English teachers emigrated......and the authorities keep telling us how many exams are being passed and what a great educated nation we are.............am I missing something.............GrinGrinGrin

Don't get me going on spelling either............GrinGrinGrinGrinGrinGrin

If I have spelt anything wrong please berate me....................TongueTongueTongueTongue

I've just had another annoyance come into my head, it is the writing of the shortened use of I am, I see it written as im or Im or even i;m...............I'm out of here or should that be hear.......GrinGrinGrinGrin

Site and sight come to mind..................gosh I could write a novel the way I am going......................GrinGrinGrinGrin

whatriveristhis
whatriveristhis e2 Member 160 forum postswhatriveristhis vcard England60 Constructive Critique Points
16 Oct 2013 - 4:06 PM

Hmmm, regarding your point about punctuation-perhaps it would be best if you didn't read James Joyce's "Ullyses," or anything by e.e.cummings.

But dont fret, your defiantly on the rite track with your speling. Though I would suggest a semi-colon after "...come into my head," instead of a comma.

We could have fun like this all day! GrinGrinGrinGrinGrin

joolsb
joolsb e2 Member 927107 forum postsjoolsb vcard Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
16 Oct 2013 - 8:33 PM

bhutt ewe haftu agrie vat gude spillin ann punkchew ashun dew mike ef three fink allot izziur turreed due thae knot

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.