Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Expressions that annoy you

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

conrad
conrad  1010873 forum posts116 Constructive Critique Points
22 Oct 2013 - 1:38 PM

Quote: 'we will be taking off momentarily' ... crossing the Atlantic could be difficult in that case

Nah, no problem. Even if you only take 'momentarily' to have the British meaning of 'for a very short time', it's still correct because take-off doesn't last very long, it's the sustained flight that you're thinking of, but that happens after take-off.

Of course, if you really want to interpret the phrase correctly, you have to take into account the nationality of the speaker, and the fact that in the US the word 'momentarily' means 'very soon'. (As you can see from the link, even when you look up the British meaning of the word, the online Cambridge dictionary still insists on showing you that there's more than just a British meaning of the word.)

I thought you might find that interesting... Tongue

Last Modified By conrad at 22 Oct 2013 - 1:39 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
22 Oct 2013 - 1:38 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

saltireblue
saltireblue Site Moderator 43651 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway23 Constructive Critique Points
22 Oct 2013 - 4:30 PM

TV reporters, et al, who want to bring us up to speed on something or another...what's wrong with bringing us up to date?

AlanJ
AlanJ e2 Member 1395 forum postsAlanJ vcard England
23 Oct 2013 - 6:37 PM

Please blow into this bag sir

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 54231 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
23 Oct 2013 - 6:48 PM

"This is pretty, isn't it?"
otherwise called "being patronised by shop assistants in their teens" who absolutely hate what you're buying.
Grin

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.