Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Expressions that annoy you

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

riggwelter
3 Apr 2010 - 12:55 AM

lol

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
3 Apr 2010 - 12:55 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

roxpix
roxpix  102236 forum posts Scotland11 Constructive Critique Points
3 Apr 2010 - 8:20 AM

As we know Glaswegians are a breed apart and the longest word they can use is 'situation'
Now unfortunately this is just far too many syllables for them so they have split it into 2 words sit & uation (as demonstrated by any Glaswegian involved in football) Wink

RichardN00
3 Apr 2010 - 8:57 AM

One former manager I had, used this a lot in meetings:

"I'm feeling a lot of negativity here!"

No - we're just dissagreeing with your half-ar*ed, badly thought out plans

Agree about "Awesome!" I'm working with someone who spent a couple of years in the USA and he now seems to be in permanent awe of everything, it drives me mad.

On the subject of using 'can' for 'may'I got into trouble a couple of years back when someone fairly senior sent a mail;

"Can I have my accounts password reset?"

I sent back the one word answer

"Yes"

He replied

"What do you mean, yes"

I sent back

"Yes, you do have the ability to have your accounts password reset"

He called me a pedantic so and so and complained to my boss

Luckily he was not well liked and everybody else found it funny

Richard

Last Modified By RichardN00 at 3 Apr 2010 - 8:58 AM
MrsS
MrsS  74527 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
3 Apr 2010 - 9:23 AM

Quote: People that now say 'I would of....' instead of 'I would have...' - this now seems to be the norm even though it is rubbish.

would of
should of
could of

all of these drive me up the wall!

See them all the time in the children's writing - comes from the fact that would've, could've and should've are contractions with the apostrophe showing where the ha is missing - BUT -once you pronounce it would of, etc., there's no hope!

Ask my Y3 (another import from our "friends" across the pond - what's wrong with first year juniors?) class about my rant on the subject!!

Fran x

Last Modified By MrsS at 3 Apr 2010 - 9:24 AM
lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014060 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
3 Apr 2010 - 9:44 AM

I can't believe people get upset by this stuff - I think you all need to chillax Wink

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
3 Apr 2010 - 10:03 AM

Yeah, absolutely, I mean it is like, you know, watching Grumpy Old Men. At the end of the day, it is like, we say what we like, innit, you know what I mean.

Last Modified By Coleslaw at 3 Apr 2010 - 10:06 AM
Billlee
Billlee  85531 forum posts England
3 Apr 2010 - 10:13 AM

Whatever !!

AshTree
AshTree  41702 forum posts England6 Constructive Critique Points
3 Apr 2010 - 10:42 AM

Quote: "The engineers haven't gotten there yet" it's got there or haven't arrived.

This one always interests me - 'gotten' is actually the archaic past participle of the verb 'To Get'. Quote from WikiAnswers below:

"Gotten is correct, and very old. In England many people wrongly assume that gotten is a modern Americanism, but the truth is the English more-or-less stopped using it, and have forgotten (!) that they used to use it."

Theresa

User_Removed
3 Apr 2010 - 11:21 AM

Bill Bryson's excellent book 'A History Of Everything' postulates that there's many Olde English structures still persistent in American English, simply because that was how English worked when the Pilgrim Fathers first went over there and took it with them. The American practice of verbing nouns, for example, is typical of the English of the period and Shakespeare was renowned for it.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 3 Apr 2010 - 11:21 AM
keith selmes
3 Apr 2010 - 12:24 PM

I've been criticised for spelling organization the American way. Actually its the English spelling. But since the disagreement with the colonies, the British have changed their spelling, and the Yankees haven't.

(My spell checker has underlined "crticised" in red Smile)

Rev2
Rev2  4213 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
3 Apr 2010 - 12:48 PM

Quote: "The engineers haven't gotten there yet" it's got there or haven't arrived.

This one always interests me - 'gotten' is actually the archaic past participle of the verb 'To Get'. Quote from WikiAnswers below:

"Gotten is correct, and very old. In England many people wrongly assume that gotten is a modern Americanism, but the truth is the English more-or-less stopped using it, and have forgotten (!) that they used to use it."

Theresa

Interesting, so many people use it I should've gotten used to it by now. Tongue

dlegros
dlegros  12217 forum posts England
3 Apr 2010 - 12:49 PM

Quote: Bill Bryson's excellent book 'A History Of Everything' postulates that there's many Olde English structures still persistent in American English, simply because that was how English worked when the Pilgrim Fathers first went over there and took it with them. The American practice of verbing nouns, for example, is typical of the English of the period and Shakespeare was renowned for it.

I would also suggest his book "Mother Tongue"

So-called "Americanisms" such as color are also examples of how the language was when we exported it with the pilgrims - we have changed to colour since then, so maybe the American spelling is technically more correct! After all, you can drive a tractor, but not a tractour! Smile

Billlee
Billlee  85531 forum posts England
3 Apr 2010 - 12:49 PM

So are "Burglarized" and "Aluminum" correct I wonder ?

Tooth
Tooth  95772 forum posts Ireland227 Constructive Critique Points
3 Apr 2010 - 12:50 PM

People wanting to revert to me....

and being very picky now..

(eg in a weather forecast) "lowest temperatures of between three to seven degrees"

oh, and it's consisting of or comprising, but not comprising of....

and finally (for a while)...grown-up establishments assuming that all you need to do to be cool with youngsters is to spell things wrong (Kool Kamps, etc..)

MarkBroughton
3 Apr 2010 - 12:57 PM

I had a boss that used to "sit in a dark room with a damp cloth on his head" quite often, needless to say he isnt my boss anymore...Wink

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.