Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Expressions that annoy you

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Tooth
Tooth  95772 forum posts Ireland227 Constructive Critique Points
4 Apr 2010 - 2:25 PM

A Sky news reporter just told the head of the Catholic church in Scotland that he had made a fulsome apology for his remarks about the Catholic church in Ireland.
Fulsome, as in excessive, grovelling, sickly, insincere..

Quote: (from an online dictionary) Usage Note: Fulsome is often used to mean "offensively flattering or insincere." But the word is also used, particularly in the expression fulsome praise, to mean simply "abundant," without any implication of excess or insincerity. This usage is etymologically justified but may invite misunderstandings in contexts in which a deprecatory interpretation could be made. The sentence I offer you my most fulsome apologies may raise an eyebrow, where the use of an adjective like full or abundant would leave no room for doubt as to the sincerity of the speaker's intentions.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
4 Apr 2010 - 2:25 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

kaybee
kaybee  103823 forum posts Scotland24 Constructive Critique Points
4 Apr 2010 - 5:35 PM

Seceraty
Febuary
Bulgalry (housebreaking in Scotland anyway)

Geoffphoto
4 Apr 2010 - 7:28 PM

Why do people who do anything these days have to go on "a journey" and why do we have to keep "ticking the right boxes" all the bleedin' time.......and my pet hate is "well it's been a real roller coaster ride", no it has not, you have only moved house/been shopping etc !!!!! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR !!

Sorry, rant over !! Smile

cattyal
cattyal e2 Member 96054 forum postscattyal vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
4 Apr 2010 - 8:01 PM

oh yes - why is everything a "nightmare"?

G6DDS
G6DDS e2 Member 5231 forum postsG6DDS vcard Scotland
5 Apr 2010 - 2:38 AM

Quote: GO COMPARE !!!!!

It's even on the radio now, i can't escape it!!!

cattyal
cattyal e2 Member 96054 forum postscattyal vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
5 Apr 2010 - 8:46 AM

Happily I never listen to the radio Smile

AshTree
AshTree  51702 forum posts England6 Constructive Critique Points
5 Apr 2010 - 10:05 AM

And why do the media have to contract people's names? SuBo, Sam Cam... aaagghhh Wink

AlanPerkins
5 Apr 2010 - 10:15 AM

Very true

It's either true or it's not there are no shades of truth - not even for weasely politicians!

Fishnet
Fishnet  104976 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
5 Apr 2010 - 10:36 AM

I can't stand it when people, usually call centre staff or people in shops delegated to filling out forms, refer to themselves as 'myself' and refer to the person they are dealing with as 'yourself' as in

"That form was completed by myself and the order was sent to yourself"

Utter madness.

dwilkin
dwilkin  724249 forum posts United Kingdom
5 Apr 2010 - 11:28 AM

the one that has ALWAYS irritated me - 'round circle'. What other shapes do CIRCLES come in????

Alan_Warriner

Just to hijack this

why is "fulsome" only ever used with "apology"
"catastrophic" with "failure"

any others?

Billlee
Billlee  85531 forum posts England
5 Apr 2010 - 11:19 PM

Quote:

any others?

Millions !

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315324 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
5 Apr 2010 - 11:50 PM

In the Eighties I guess it was Yuppie Flu, then my youngest sister announce she was gay.

Not particularly good timing on her part, the new HIV adds were doing the rounds, and the words gay plague and gay bashing kept popping up.

Was a good job I knew better.

These days its all the fancy words and explanations, what happened to good old plain English Smile

AshTree
AshTree  51702 forum posts England6 Constructive Critique Points
6 Apr 2010 - 12:28 AM

Quote: Just to hijack this

why is "fulsome" only ever used with "apology"
"catastrophic" with "failure"

any others?

"figment" with "imagination" - and seeing as figment means 'something imagined' the phrase is tautological anyway! Wink

Tooth
Tooth  95772 forum posts Ireland227 Constructive Critique Points
6 Apr 2010 - 12:44 AM

in Ireland in the media there were only ever staunch protestants and devout catholics, never the other way round

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.