Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Expressions that annoy you

Tooth 9 5.8k 227 Ireland
4 Apr 2010 2:25PM
A Sky news reporter just told the head of the Catholic church in Scotland that he had made a fulsome apology for his remarks about the Catholic church in Ireland.
Fulsome, as in excessive, grovelling, sickly, insincere..

Quote:(from an online dictionary) Usage Note: Fulsome is often used to mean "offensively flattering or insincere." But the word is also used, particularly in the expression fulsome praise, to mean simply "abundant," without any implication of excess or insincerity. This usage is etymologically justified but may invite misunderstandings in contexts in which a deprecatory interpretation could be made. The sentence I offer you my most fulsome apologies may raise an eyebrow, where the use of an adjective like full or abundant would leave no room for doubt as to the sincerity of the speaker's intentions.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

kaybee 10 3.9k 24 Scotland
4 Apr 2010 5:35PM
Seceraty
Febuary
Bulgalry (housebreaking in Scotland anyway)
Geoffphoto 8 13.5k United Kingdom
4 Apr 2010 7:28PM
Why do people who do anything these days have to go on "a journey" and why do we have to keep "ticking the right boxes" all the bleedin' time.......and my pet hate is "well it's been a real roller coaster ride", no it has not, you have only moved house/been shopping etc !!!!! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR !!

Sorry, rant over !! Smile
cattyal e2
9 6.4k 6 England
4 Apr 2010 8:01PM
oh yes - why is everything a "nightmare"?
G6DDS 5 231 Scotland
5 Apr 2010 2:38AM

Quote:GO COMPARE !!!!!

It's even on the radio now, i can't escape it!!!
cattyal e2
9 6.4k 6 England
5 Apr 2010 8:46AM
Happily I never listen to the radio Smile
AshTree 5 1.7k 6 England
5 Apr 2010 10:05AM
And why do the media have to contract people's names? SuBo, Sam Cam... aaagghhh Wink
AlanPerkins 9 484 England
5 Apr 2010 10:15AM
Very true

It's either true or it's not there are no shades of truth - not even for weasely politicians!
Fishnet 10 5.0k 5 United Kingdom
5 Apr 2010 10:36AM
I can't stand it when people, usually call centre staff or people in shops delegated to filling out forms, refer to themselves as 'myself' and refer to the person they are dealing with as 'yourself' as in

"That form was completed by myself and the order was sent to yourself"

Utter madness.
dwilkin 8 24.3k United Kingdom
5 Apr 2010 11:28AM
the one that has ALWAYS irritated me - 'round circle'. What other shapes do CIRCLES come in????
5 Apr 2010 7:59PM
Just to hijack this

why is "fulsome" only ever used with "apology"
"catastrophic" with "failure"

any others?
Billlee 8 5.5k England
5 Apr 2010 11:19PM

Quote:

any others?

Millions !
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
5 Apr 2010 11:50PM
In the Eighties I guess it was Yuppie Flu, then my youngest sister announce she was gay.

Not particularly good timing on her part, the new HIV adds were doing the rounds, and the words gay plague and gay bashing kept popping up.

Was a good job I knew better.

These days its all the fancy words and explanations, what happened to good old plain English Smile
AshTree 5 1.7k 6 England
6 Apr 2010 12:28AM

Quote:Just to hijack this

why is "fulsome" only ever used with "apology"
"catastrophic" with "failure"

any others?

"figment" with "imagination" - and seeing as figment means 'something imagined' the phrase is tautological anyway! Wink
Tooth 9 5.8k 227 Ireland
6 Apr 2010 12:44AM
in Ireland in the media there were only ever staunch protestants and devout catholics, never the other way round

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.