Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Extender EF 2x III

Dingus e2
2 55 Scotland
27 Nov 2013 8:48PM
Hi folks.
Does anyone know if a Canon Extender EF 2x III works with a Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM ?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

tomcat e2
9 6.2k 15 United Kingdom
27 Nov 2013 9:05PM
If it does, which I doubt, you could possibly lose AF (dependant on your camera) and the results will be a tad dissapointing
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
27 Nov 2013 9:08PM
No it doesn't because of the front-end bulge of the teleconverter elements.
Third-party tcs will work.
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
27 Nov 2013 9:12PM
Corection: when I say 3rd party tcs 'will work' I mean there is nothing physical to stop it fitting onto the body.

But functionality depends on the body and the maximum aseture of the lens. On a APS-C body, the 2x tc will take a f5.6 lens to f11 and it will almost certainly not work. On something like the 5DIII it will work in very good light but will otherwise hunt for focus.
Dingus e2
2 55 Scotland
27 Nov 2013 10:33PM
Thanks for your input guys.
I use a 7D
alansnap e2
10 529 23 United Kingdom
28 Nov 2013 9:17AM
It probably would work - it's best to go into a shop and try it. The Canon Website says that the EF Extender is comparable with L series telephotos and zooms.
However you definitely would lose AF. A 1.4 converter causes you to lose one stop, and a 2 times loses you two stops so the image will be very dim. That rule is true whether you have a full frame or APS-C sensor - it's just a rule of optics. I might try the 1.4X instead. Check it out here . You would have AF at the 70mm end where aperture is F4, but lose it at longer focal lengths.
With a 7D the sensor and processor quality is so good that I would just crop to get better magnification.
Cheers,
Alan
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
28 Nov 2013 9:35AM

Quote:It probably would work

It won't - its a physical thing.

I agree with Alan, though that maybe the 1.4x tc is a better bet. I have been surprised how many pros would rather use a 1.4xtc and crop than use a 2x tc because of the loss in contrast. (Note the Canon 1.4x tc also has that front bulge to the lens so you will need to go to third-party tc).
Dingus e2
2 55 Scotland
28 Nov 2013 9:41AM
Thanks guys. I appreciate you help.
NeilS e2
7 936 United Kingdom
28 Nov 2013 8:11PM
If you want to use a t/c on the 70/300l then the only ones which fit are the kenko, 1.4 is OK but the 2x is pushing it a bit IQ and AF wise,

They will both give AF but its significantly slowed with the 2x
Dingus e2
2 55 Scotland
28 Nov 2013 9:58PM
Thanks Neil.
I've been searching the Internet for info.
The Kenko 1.4X seems to be better than the 2X, but no one seems to have this setup or they haven't posted.
For some reason everyone is saying not to go the Canon way.

I found this on the Canon site:
Extenders
brian1208 e2
11 10.6k 12 United Kingdom
28 Nov 2013 10:28PM
Just spotted this thread, the Kenko pro 300 1.4X works with the 70-300LIS (I used to use this combo a couple of years back, that lens was my all time favourite).

From memory it focuses better with all the focus point lit or with single, non-central focus points selected (I used mine mainly for birding and wild-life shots)

Its some time back but have a look on my site to see if there is anything in my blogs on this yes there is, here .

I'll have a look further to see what else I have on it
Paintman e2
8 902 173 United Kingdom
28 Nov 2013 10:34PM
Canon 2x-iii review and relevant info

Converters generally work best on high quality ( professional ) primes or exceptionally good pro grade zooms. They magnify not just the image but also the flaws in the lenses used. A consumer grade zoom used with a 2x converter is going to disappoint in terms of image quality. You would probably be better off buying a decent 300mm f4 or a 400mm f5.6 from Canon. A second hand 300mm f2.8 would be an excellent lens to use with the converter as its image quality is so good to start with. Pricey though.

The Kenko 1.4x converter is very good for the price and I've used it on a Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 and got very reasonable results. Also the Sigma 2x converter is surprisingly good with the Sigma lens.

Taken with the Sigma and a Kenko 1.4x

Taken with the Sigma and a Kenko 1.4x

Taken with the Sigma and a Sigma 2x

Both the Kenko and Sigma converters can fit most Canon lenses because there is no projection to hit the rear of the lens. The Canon 1.4x and 2x converters have a projection that will collide with the rear lens element if it's not a compatible lens. There is a compatibility chart on Canon's website that will tell you which lenses can be used with their converters.
Dingus e2
2 55 Scotland
30 Nov 2013 3:40PM
Some excellent links and information guys.

Having researched as many articles as I can find, I still haven't found anyone that has used a Canon extender with a Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM. All of the references see to be on FIXED focal lenses.
Quite a few have given the Kenko a good write up as a cheaper alternative to Canon's one.

Still searching.
brian1208 e2
11 10.6k 12 United Kingdom
30 Nov 2013 5:11PM
I can tell you that the canon extender will NOT work with the 70-300LIS (from memory it even stated this in the tech literature that came with mine)

The rear element is too far back and will clash with the surface of the extender front lens

This is why I had to use the Kenko pro 1.4X with mine
auspete 1 1 Australia
4 Dec 2013 12:50AM
Thanks all for this discussion thread. I found it very informative. I'm in the market for either a 1.4x III or 2.0x III to match with my 70-200 II f2.8L. I'm aware of the greater aperture loss with the 2.0x but is there anything else I am missing?

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.