Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Extension Tubes

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    jaydee1235
    5 Mar 2013 - 10:49 PM

I want to buy a extension tubes for my Canon XSI macro setup is Canon 100mm 2.8 macro & Canon 14ex Macro ring flash & don't want to spend a lot of money I have seen the ones on ebay for about $60 US that have 13,21 & 31mm tubes others 13,20 & 36mm tube with metal mount & body. My question is there anyone here that uses these cheaper tube & if they r happy with them with good solid conections. I Like to be able to buy Kenko but over twice the price is it really worth it???

Dave

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    5 Mar 2013 - 10:49 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mikehit
    mikehit  56485 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Mar 2013 - 11:05 PM

You have a set up like that and want to skimp on a bit of money for extension tubes?
    I would not consider tubes that did not maintain the electrial connections (AF and metering) with the body: Amazon.com have Polaroid ones that are considerably cheaper than the Kenko ($75 and they have got a very good reputation since they were released.

jaydee1235
    6 Mar 2013 - 12:44 AM

I forgot to say that these tubes have AF & both have metal mount & body & don't have a brand name on them just the company name & from Hong Kong. So r u saying the cheap ones r ok???

colin beeley
    colin beeley e2 Member 111070 forum postscolin beeley vcard England10 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Mar 2013 - 6:28 AM

i have just sold my 25mm tube because it made no difference on my canon 100mm macro lens . so don't waste your money .

alansnap
    alansnap e2 Member 10529 forum postsalansnap vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Mar 2013 - 9:57 AM

If you don't want to buy Canon extension tubes, buy the best you can afford. You may not be able to afford them this month, but save your money and buy better quality. That said, I have the Canon 100 Macro and some extension tubes, and like Colin the tubes never see the light of day. They will drastically reduce your working distance and AF won't work when the light levels fall far enough. My 5D MkII struggles at 1:1 as it is unless the light is very bright.
    Alan

jaydee1235
    6 Mar 2013 - 6:58 PM

Hi Alan , So if there is no glass in the extension tubes what is the difference between cheaper tubes & ones like the Kenko & please remember I do have a Canon 14ex Macro Flash will I still have a problem??
    I was Planning of using more that one tube at a time.

Dave

StrayCat
    StrayCat e2 Member 1014818 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Mar 2013 - 7:48 PM

There is an alternative that I found less cumbersome than tubes, and that's a top quality dioptre lens like Canon sells. They aren't very expensive, considering, and I don't think you lose as much light. Canon's are among the best.

colin beeley
    colin beeley e2 Member 111070 forum postscolin beeley vcard England10 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Mar 2013 - 6:26 AM

i don't know about the cheap ones but the canon ones will still give auto focus . and you will get nearly all your money back when you sell .

mikehit
    7 Mar 2013 - 8:53 AM

Canon (as usual) is an expensive option: Kenko and Polaroid both maintain AF - they are both cheaper and both have 3 tubes whereas Canon's is only one for almost the same price.

Denny: I have the Canon dioptre lens (55mm dia...or was it 58mm?) and it is a very good quality.

jaydee1235
    7 Mar 2013 - 9:33 AM

StrayCat, I don't thimk a Dioptre lens would be good with the Canon 100mm 2.8 macro lens.
    Also is the Polariod Tube set made of abs & metal mount or all metal??? I would really hate to have to buy the kenko set but it look like I may have to Buy a Kenko all metal peice set & have full af & not have to use manual focus all the time like the cheap one seem to have to use, maybe even the Polaroid tubes. I bought the Canon MR-14EX & the Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro Used for about half price but the Kenko Tubes demand higher prices both New & Used.

Dave

mikehit
    7 Mar 2013 - 9:51 AM

The Polaroid are plastic tubes with metal mounts. Nothing wrong with plastic - the same stuff your camera is made of (probably even better) and they have metal mounts. The only reason to buy all-metal would be peace of mind, not practicality an if the Polaroid set had been out at the time I bought my tubes, I would have saved half the money and gone for them insted of Kenko. As I said above, the Polaroid maintain AF.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.