Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Extension tubes for Canon efs lenses

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Ptr_A
    Ptr_A  554 forum posts United Kingdom
    9 Apr 2012 - 5:03 PM

Possibly because of price, some people - me included- bought the Canon 60mm macro lens. For a while now, I have wanted to use extension tubes. Kenko are too costly and I'm not sure if they work with Canon efs lenses. Tubes with no electrical contacts are a waste of time because of having to take the lens off in order to change the aperture. However, Polaroid sell a set of three extension tubes that not only fit Canon efs lenses but have auto focus etc as well. I received mine last week and they work a treat.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    9 Apr 2012 - 5:03 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JackAllTog
    JackAllTog e2 Member 53649 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
    11 Apr 2012 - 2:52 PM

Thanks for the hint, that 60 ebay price is tempting too (Amazon is out of stock). Not for me just yet but on my wish list.
    Cheers
    Stuart

Ptr_A
    11 Apr 2012 - 4:29 PM

If Amazon are out of stock, then I'm pleased I bought mine a week and a half ago, they were delivered last Wednesday. This morning, I put the set on my 70 - 300 and the result was surprising. I can stand further back from the subject compared to my 60 macro and still fill the frame.

Overread
    Overread  63770 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    11 Apr 2012 - 7:52 PM

I can confirm that Kenko do make extension tubes that fit EF-s lenses (I forget if they have two varying types, but I think not) and retain electrical contact for aperture and AF control.

The Polariod ones though would be a great cheaper option for people looking to get some and on a more limited budget. Out of interest how is the build quality on them? Kenko are pretty much every bit as good as Canon (extensiontubes) and well made

Ptr_A
    11 Apr 2012 - 8:17 PM

I wasn't sure about Kenko tubes fitting to efs lenses, but the price was too high for me anyway.

I haven't got accurate enough scales to weigh the Polariod tubes but searching the internet, I found a comment made by a purchaser - 239 grams. Here's the link to the review, it's by SimonR so scroll down the page a little and don't take any notice of The Most Helpful Critical Review, as the person obviously wasn't aware of how shallow dof is when using tubes: http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B004VNBAT2

Personally, I think the tubes are very well made and worth the money I paid.

Ptr_A
    11 Apr 2012 - 8:21 PM

queen-s-eye.jpg

This is a picture of the queen's eye on a 20 using my 60mm macro and three Polariod tubes, hand held with flash fired.

Ptr_A
    11 Apr 2012 - 8:23 PM

crown.jpg

This picture shows part of the crown on the queen's head on a 1 coin. Used three Polariod tubes, Canon 60mm macro and flash.

Ptr_A
    11 Apr 2012 - 8:27 PM

Oh, and the above shots are from the camera, no crops whatsoever.

Ptr_A
    11 Apr 2012 - 9:01 PM

I do apologise, I made a small error. Nothing to do with the tubes but with my set up. The above images had my Marumi Achromat Macro Lens 200 (factor 5) attached to my 60mm macro. I took the pictures the other day and forgot about the Marumi. So, my set up was a follows; three Polariod tubes + Canon 60mm macro lens + Marumi lens. I think you'll agree that the detail in the images is pretty good. Here is an image of the date on a 0ne penny coin. On all the pictures, I used a Jessops flash heavily diffused, attached to a straight flash bracket angled at about 45 degrees.

date.jpg

Last Modified By Ptr_A at 11 Apr 2012 - 9:02 PM
    cuffit
    cuffit  7177 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
    12 Apr 2012 - 7:19 PM

I opened this thread expecting to see a Canon v Kenco debate and wondered why Kenco might be considered expensive; then saw the info on Polaroid. Many thanks, have just ordered a set!

Much appreciated as I was considering Kenco which are also considered very good.

Cheers

Chris

Ptr_A
    13 Apr 2012 - 10:15 AM

Hi Chris, I'm pleased for you that you read the thread. I expect, like me, you will be amazed at the quality you will get for the money.

AXB
    AXB  2 United Kingdom
    14 Jun 2012 - 9:35 PM

Just the information that I wanted = thankyou

ARI
    ARI  11504 forum posts United Kingdom
    17 Jun 2012 - 1:58 PM

In stock at Amazon along with free postage.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.