Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Extension tubes for Canon efs lenses

Ptr_A 5 54 United Kingdom
9 Apr 2012 5:03PM
Possibly because of price, some people - me included- bought the Canon 60mm macro lens. For a while now, I have wanted to use extension tubes. Kenko are too costly and I'm not sure if they work with Canon efs lenses. Tubes with no electrical contacts are a waste of time because of having to take the lens off in order to change the aperture. However, Polaroid sell a set of three extension tubes that not only fit Canon efs lenses but have auto focus etc as well. I received mine last week and they work a treat.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JackAllTog e2
5 3.7k 58 United Kingdom
11 Apr 2012 2:52PM
Thanks for the hint, that 60 ebay price is tempting too (Amazon is out of stock). Not for me just yet but on my wish list.
Cheers
Stuart
11 Apr 2012 4:29PM
If Amazon are out of stock, then I'm pleased I bought mine a week and a half ago, they were delivered last Wednesday. This morning, I put the set on my 70 - 300 and the result was surprising. I can stand further back from the subject compared to my 60 macro and still fill the frame.
Overread 6 3.8k 18 England
11 Apr 2012 7:52PM
I can confirm that Kenko do make extension tubes that fit EF-s lenses (I forget if they have two varying types, but I think not) and retain electrical contact for aperture and AF control.

The Polariod ones though would be a great cheaper option for people looking to get some and on a more limited budget. Out of interest how is the build quality on them? Kenko are pretty much every bit as good as Canon (extensiontubes) and well made
11 Apr 2012 8:17PM
I wasn't sure about Kenko tubes fitting to efs lenses, but the price was too high for me anyway.

I haven't got accurate enough scales to weigh the Polariod tubes but searching the internet, I found a comment made by a purchaser - 239 grams. Here's the link to the review, it's by SimonR so scroll down the page a little and don't take any notice of The Most Helpful Critical Review, as the person obviously wasn't aware of how shallow dof is when using tubes: http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B004VNBAT2

Personally, I think the tubes are very well made and worth the money I paid.
11 Apr 2012 8:21PM
queen-s-eye.jpg

This is a picture of the queen's eye on a 20 using my 60mm macro and three Polariod tubes, hand held with flash fired.
11 Apr 2012 8:23PM
crown.jpg

This picture shows part of the crown on the queen's head on a 1 coin. Used three Polariod tubes, Canon 60mm macro and flash.
11 Apr 2012 8:27PM
Oh, and the above shots are from the camera, no crops whatsoever.
11 Apr 2012 9:01PM
I do apologise, I made a small error. Nothing to do with the tubes but with my set up. The above images had my Marumi Achromat Macro Lens 200 (factor 5) attached to my 60mm macro. I took the pictures the other day and forgot about the Marumi. So, my set up was a follows; three Polariod tubes + Canon 60mm macro lens + Marumi lens. I think you'll agree that the detail in the images is pretty good. Here is an image of the date on a 0ne penny coin. On all the pictures, I used a Jessops flash heavily diffused, attached to a straight flash bracket angled at about 45 degrees.

date.jpg

cuffit 8 180 2 England
12 Apr 2012 7:19PM
I opened this thread expecting to see a Canon v Kenco debate and wondered why Kenco might be considered expensive; then saw the info on Polaroid. Many thanks, have just ordered a set!

Much appreciated as I was considering Kenco which are also considered very good.

Cheers

Chris
13 Apr 2012 10:15AM
Hi Chris, I'm pleased for you that you read the thread. I expect, like me, you will be amazed at the quality you will get for the money.
AXB 2 1 United Kingdom
14 Jun 2012 9:35PM
Just the information that I wanted = thankyou
ARI 12 504 United Kingdom
17 Jun 2012 1:58PM
In stock at Amazon along with free postage.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.