Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

External hard drive recommendation needed.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
contemporary dave

I currently use Lacie D2 drives to back all my stuff, but the range of drives I normally use are now discontinued, so I'm looking for a suitable and reliable replacement - something around 500gb in capacity and with USB2 (or 3) connectivity.

I don't care what it looks like, so drives that have been 'designed' by people at Porsche or whoever can be ignored. If anyone could recommend a good quality drive at a reasonable price, it would be very much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
28 Apr 2012 - 6:04 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Boyd
Boyd  1011213 forum posts Wales11 Constructive Critique Points
28 Apr 2012 - 6:07 PM

How about a docking station and then you can bang in any internal HDDs you like?

contemporary dave

Interesting idea, but it means having one extra component - i.e. the docking station and the HDD. I'd rather just have a standalone external drive.

slaughteredlamb
28 Apr 2012 - 6:30 PM

By far the best external drives I've ever used (and I've sadly used a lot) are the Western Digital My Book range. In the past I've used a range of LACiE drives but every single one of them has failed at some point with the same failure (the USB to SATA interface fails) and now I won't touch LACiE. The My Books are just incredibly reliable, we use these at work where we have around 15 and none of them have failed and all going strong after 3 years very heavy use. The 3 I have at home are rock solid stable and nice and fast. A close second would be the Buffalo DriveStation. Another very good drive but I prefer the Western Digital's as I find them a bit faster to use. We use these at work but have only been using them for around 6 months so I can't comment on their reliability but have no reason to expect them to be bad.

thewilliam
28 Apr 2012 - 6:30 PM

We just get whatever drives that come from a reputable maker and at a good price. There doesn't seem to be any such thing as a "reliable" HDD.

Many have come from LaCie, though I don't understand why it takes a designer like Porsche to come up with a simple rectangular box!

Last Modified By thewilliam at 28 Apr 2012 - 6:34 PM
stevie
stevie e2 Member 101197 forum postsstevie vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
28 Apr 2012 - 6:33 PM

I've a couple of WD MyBooks which have been going well for ages but recently converted to an external RAID which is a bit costly but gives more protection against loss in the case of failure - as the old saying goes there are only 2 types of HDD, 'broken' and 'about to break'.

Last Modified By stevie at 28 Apr 2012 - 6:34 PM
darrensmithgbr
28 Apr 2012 - 6:34 PM

i agree with William, there is not such thing as a relaible HDD, well not one thats more reliable than the others. I generally get hdd company drives such as samsung, hitachi or western digital rather than the "portable drive companies" who will put in whatever physical drive into their caddy design.

pabloisme
pabloisme  3565 forum posts England
29 Apr 2012 - 6:43 AM

Note: all computer kit is redundant in 2 years!

get a network raid storage box like stora,

I use a stora mirrored raid 2Tb pair for most stuff and Amazon S3 for backup of stuff I would hate to lose!

buy yesterdays technology tomorrow and save!

contemporary dave

Thanks for your comments y'all.

I looked at the WD My Book 1tb drive on Amazon and its had very mixed reviews. 26x 5 star reviews and 22x 1 star reviews. I realise that you are goung to get a couple of 1 star reviews on any product, but 22 one star reviews out of 71 is pretty high.

See here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B002KPW5JM/ref=cm_cr_pr_hist_1?ie=UTF8&a...

Last Modified By contemporary dave at 29 Apr 2012 - 11:43 AM
Niknut
Niknut e2 Member 4386 forum postsNiknut vcard United Kingdom60 Constructive Critique Points
29 Apr 2012 - 3:43 PM

I've used WD 1tb external HD to back up all my stuff .......had it about 2 years, & cant fault it !!!! (60 from Amazon when I bought it )

NewDay
NewDay  2 England1 Constructive Critique Points
29 Apr 2012 - 8:03 PM

I've used the Freecom range of external drives for several drives after several failures with WD My Books. They too were bought on Amazon. They seen to run a lot cooler with the solid metal cases. Slightly more expensive than some brands but highly recommended and we have 12 now up to 2Tb and (touch wood!) not had a failure yet.

StrayCat
StrayCat  1014200 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
29 Apr 2012 - 8:41 PM

I've had a 500gb WD My Book going for over 4 years with nary a blip.

Last Modified By StrayCat at 29 Apr 2012 - 8:45 PM
StrayCat
StrayCat  1014200 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
29 Apr 2012 - 8:47 PM

I lost a drive years ago because of dust, so ever since, I vacuum mine with a furniture brush attachment about every 2 weeks. The one I lost was internal, and in the days I smoked also.Tongue

pabloisme
pabloisme  3565 forum posts England
1 May 2012 - 6:31 AM

straycat; weird why smoke a hard drive?

you do know it makes them floppy?

classcams
classcams  4117 forum posts
1 May 2012 - 7:16 AM

Quote: Straycat; weird why smoke a hard drive?

you do know it makes them floppy?

Not so weird , when I was employed, smoking was forbidden in the computer room Regarding external hard drives SAMSUNG comes with a program that tells you what files are saved.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.