Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

External hard drive recommendation needed.

28 Apr 2012 6:04PM
I currently use Lacie D2 drives to back all my stuff, but the range of drives I normally use are now discontinued, so I'm looking for a suitable and reliable replacement - something around 500gb in capacity and with USB2 (or 3) connectivity.

I don't care what it looks like, so drives that have been 'designed' by people at Porsche or whoever can be ignored. If anyone could recommend a good quality drive at a reasonable price, it would be very much appreciated.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Boyd 11 11.2k 11 Wales
28 Apr 2012 6:07PM
How about a docking station and then you can bang in any internal HDDs you like?
28 Apr 2012 6:11PM
Interesting idea, but it means having one extra component - i.e. the docking station and the HDD. I'd rather just have a standalone external drive.
28 Apr 2012 6:30PM
By far the best external drives I've ever used (and I've sadly used a lot) are the Western Digital My Book range. In the past I've used a range of LACiE drives but every single one of them has failed at some point with the same failure (the USB to SATA interface fails) and now I won't touch LACiE. The My Books are just incredibly reliable, we use these at work where we have around 15 and none of them have failed and all going strong after 3 years very heavy use. The 3 I have at home are rock solid stable and nice and fast. A close second would be the Buffalo DriveStation. Another very good drive but I prefer the Western Digital's as I find them a bit faster to use. We use these at work but have only been using them for around 6 months so I can't comment on their reliability but have no reason to expect them to be bad.
thewilliam 6 4.7k
28 Apr 2012 6:30PM
We just get whatever drives that come from a reputable maker and at a good price. There doesn't seem to be any such thing as a "reliable" HDD.

Many have come from LaCie, though I don't understand why it takes a designer like Porsche to come up with a simple rectangular box!
stevie e2
10 1.2k 2 United Kingdom
28 Apr 2012 6:33PM
I've a couple of WD MyBooks which have been going well for ages but recently converted to an external RAID which is a bit costly but gives more protection against loss in the case of failure - as the old saying goes there are only 2 types of HDD, 'broken' and 'about to break'.
darrensmithgbr 10 228 1 England
28 Apr 2012 6:34PM
i agree with William, there is not such thing as a relaible HDD, well not one thats more reliable than the others. I generally get hdd company drives such as samsung, hitachi or western digital rather than the "portable drive companies" who will put in whatever physical drive into their caddy design.
pabloisme 4 566 England
29 Apr 2012 6:43AM
Note: all computer kit is redundant in 2 years!

get a network raid storage box like stora,

I use a stora mirrored raid 2Tb pair for most stuff and Amazon S3 for backup of stuff I would hate to lose!

buy yesterdays technology tomorrow and save!
29 Apr 2012 11:42AM
Thanks for your comments y'all.

I looked at the WD My Book 1tb drive on Amazon and its had very mixed reviews. 26x 5 star reviews and 22x 1 star reviews. I realise that you are goung to get a couple of 1 star reviews on any product, but 22 one star reviews out of 71 is pretty high.

See here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B002KPW5JM/ref=cm_cr_pr_hist_1?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&filterBy=addOneStar
Niknut e2
4 673 64 United Kingdom
29 Apr 2012 3:43PM
I've used WD 1tb external HD to back up all my stuff .......had it about 2 years, & cant fault it !!!! (60 from Amazon when I bought it )
NewDay 3 15 1 England
29 Apr 2012 8:03PM
I've used the Freecom range of external drives for several drives after several failures with WD My Books. They too were bought on Amazon. They seen to run a lot cooler with the solid metal cases. Slightly more expensive than some brands but highly recommended and we have 12 now up to 2Tb and (touch wood!) not had a failure yet.
StrayCat e2
10 15.0k 2 Canada
29 Apr 2012 8:41PM
I've had a 500gb WD My Book going for over 4 years with nary a blip.
StrayCat e2
10 15.0k 2 Canada
29 Apr 2012 8:47PM
I lost a drive years ago because of dust, so ever since, I vacuum mine with a furniture brush attachment about every 2 weeks. The one I lost was internal, and in the days I smoked also.Tongue
pabloisme 4 566 England
1 May 2012 6:31AM
straycat; weird why smoke a hard drive?

you do know it makes them floppy?
classcams 5 117
1 May 2012 7:16AM

Quote:Straycat; weird why smoke a hard drive?

you do know it makes them floppy?

Not so weird , when I was employed, smoking was forbidden in the computer room Regarding external hard drives SAMSUNG comes with a program that tells you what files are saved.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.