Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

External Hardrives

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    breakawayfromme

The storage space on my laptop is getting low
    Im thinking of purchasing an external hardrive and transferring all my photos on to that

So my question is what should i look at/for when buying
    or do you have any other suggestions

thanks

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    20 Aug 2012 - 5:09 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

robthecamman
    20 Aug 2012 - 5:17 PM

first see if you can free some room on pc by deleteing junk or even install more or bigger chips

franken
    franken e2 Member 123172 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Aug 2012 - 5:18 PM

You may also want to consider that if you keep all of your photo's and any other data in one location and it crashes you will lose everything.

Do you archive them onto dvd's or similar?

Ken

ps, best to have at least two copies of everything that you value.

Last Modified By franken at 20 Aug 2012 - 5:19 PM
    franken
    franken e2 Member 123172 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Aug 2012 - 5:26 PM

Almost forgot, depending on how much you want to spend you can get some bargains. This one appears to have had some good reviews and is quite cheap. It's not portable though but you can get smaller more portable ones at a price.

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-lacie-p-9230-desktop-drive-2tb/p1526426

Ken

Last Modified By franken at 20 Aug 2012 - 5:27 PM
    theorderingone
    20 Aug 2012 - 6:38 PM

Quote: Almost forgot, depending on how much you want to spend you can get some bargains. This one appears to have had some good reviews and is quite cheap. It's not portable though but you can get smaller more portable ones at a price.

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-lacie-p-9230-desktop-drive-2tb/p1526426

Ken

Quote:

That seems quite expensive for 2TB. There's much cheaper options if you shop around.

Prices on hard drives seems to be dropping once again after shooting up in price due to the floods in Thailand, so it's well worth doing a bit of shopping around for the best deal.

redsnappa
    redsnappa  121923 forum posts United Kingdom
    20 Aug 2012 - 6:40 PM

The problem with external hard drives like Lacie is that while they are reknowned for their well designed enclosures they give you no information regarding which manufacturers hard disk drive they have installed in their pretty looking boxes.

Personally I would prefer to select an external hard drive based on who has made the hard drive rather than who made the box.

theorderingone
    20 Aug 2012 - 6:50 PM

I'm sure you'll agree that all hard drives may fail, no matter who makes them. Personally, I've had drive failures from most of the big manufacturers (WD,Seagate,Maxtor,Hitachi). In fact, I don't think any of the major manufacturers are plagued with problems anymore, like you used to get with certain Maxtor (now owned by Seagate) drives, or the Hitachi Deathstar.

So long as everything is adequately backed up, I see no problem with using a ready-made drive, or any hard drive.

redsnappa
    redsnappa  121923 forum posts United Kingdom
    20 Aug 2012 - 8:53 PM

Hi theoderingone, I'm not agains using ready made external hard disks, Its just that I prefer to use one that is made by a hard disk manufacturer not a box designer

theorderingone
    20 Aug 2012 - 9:13 PM

That's fair enough.

My thinking is that the box designer will fit a hard drive, sourced from a hard drive manufacturer, in the box they've designed... rather than sick, or kittens Wink

mikehit
    mikehit  56687 forum posts United Kingdom11 Constructive Critique Points
    21 Aug 2012 - 9:26 AM

What do you want from the disc? If it will be largely static you can buy 2TB discs cheap enough then spend about 40 on a caddy and this can attach to your computer via USB2 or USB 3 depending on the connections available. If you want a purpose-designed 'portable' hard drive like a myPassport etc then my current preference is for a Seagate GoFlex.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.