Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

External Microphone for Canon 7D

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    boyspace
    boyspace  3
    5 Dec 2012 - 11:40 AM

Hi I recently did a bit of video on my Canon 7D and noticed the sound quality was a bit low...I think I might need to get an external microphone but am unsure what one to get? Budget is around 60-70. Any suggestions welcome. Thanks Nick

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    5 Dec 2012 - 11:40 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cameracat
    cameracat  108574 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Dec 2012 - 12:47 PM

Your Gonna need something called " Electret condenser stereo microphone " basically the sort that has a battery ( AA or AAA or button ).

Sony make some, So do a company called " Rode " Lots of other 3rd party options to, But you need to shop around, Or have a word with " WEX " I am fairly sure they do some cheaper 3rd part items, After that its down to Ebay and see whats around, Loadsa cheapo stuff from China, Some even sold from UK suppliers.

When you think of what is involved, They are all a complete " Rip Off " ....Wink

Plus, Why oh why in this crazy age of electronic nightmares, Have they not sorted the issue of " Audio Devices " as fitted to DSLR's, Hell, They where quick enough to stuff video capability into our Still cameras........LOL....Smile Forgot about the sound eh" Boys....Wink

rogerfry
    rogerfry e2 Member 8494 forum postsrogerfry vcard United Kingdom
    5 Dec 2012 - 1:58 PM

This is probably one of the best in your price range.

Bear in mind it's mono....they do a more expensive stereo version as well.

Last Modified By rogerfry at 5 Dec 2012 - 2:00 PM
    boyspace
    boyspace  3
    5 Dec 2012 - 2:40 PM

Thanks for the advice...I have been looking at the RODe already but just wanted to see if I was in the right area. Thanks again Nick

User_Removed
    5 Dec 2012 - 3:57 PM

Nick, consider getting one of these to record your sound. You avoid handling noises and loads of other problems that oncamera mics suffer from. Many pros recording sound separately. At the end of a shoot you also have two soundtracks to chose from. Smile

justin c
    justin c  104504 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Dec 2012 - 7:39 PM

The Rode Videomic is a hugely popular microphone for DSLR video, and rightly so, it's capable of very good results and is very reasonably priced. The newer Rode Videomic Pro is also excellent and is a better option than the older version if you can stretch the budget a bit. I own both and the reason I say it's better is mainly due to it's smaller, lighter and more compact size. The +20db setting is useful too, although not essential.
    If your budget will only go as far as the original Videomic then I wouldn't hesitate in getting that model. The sound quality will be virtually identical to the Videomic Pro, which is the main thing.

Just be aware though that whilst the sound quality from the Rode will be dramatically better than the camera's in-built mic, there is a learning curve and getting the very best from any microphone takes skill, with the most important point, being, get your microphone close to whatever you want to record.

KevSB
    KevSB  101387 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Dec 2012 - 7:44 PM

Also will stand by the rode video mic, excelent quality, but don't forget to budget for a dead cat as they are a must have for outside work, adds about 20 quid to the mic

Last Modified By KevSB at 5 Dec 2012 - 7:45 PM
    boyspace
    boyspace  3
    6 Dec 2012 - 8:57 AM

Thanks guys thats great advice I will mull it all over before I make my final choice Regards Nick

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.