Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Extreme macro?!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    alianar
    alianar  582 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
    21 Aug 2010 - 9:17 PM

hi
    recently i found out a way to reverse my 18-55mm lens and it takes amazing extreme macro, i just put it on manual on my sony and open the manual aperture to the widest. but there is a very shallow DOF
    what do you think? would you reverse a lens and save money or pay more and get a special macro?
    here is probably the best one iv take.
    thanks
    AryanGrin
    03.jpg

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    21 Aug 2010 - 9:17 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

brian1208
    brian1208 e2 Member 1110294 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
    21 Aug 2010 - 9:29 PM

it depends on how far you think you may want to develop your macro photography. If you plan to get into it seriously then a dedicated macro lens is the best way to go. You can often pick up good quality used lenses so it needn't cost a fortune

StrayCat
    StrayCat e2 Member 1014829 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
    21 Aug 2010 - 9:47 PM

I agree with Brian, if you're really into macro, a dedicated macro lens is the best, and easiest, way to go.

Just Jas
    Just Jas  1225752 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
    21 Aug 2010 - 9:57 PM

Horses for courses!

alianar
    21 Aug 2010 - 9:58 PM

yes i agree but i mean for enthusiasts like me on a very tight budget reverse is the bestGrin

Just Jas
    Just Jas  1225752 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
    21 Aug 2010 - 10:10 PM

Reverse is OK. Carry on improving your technique, but put some money aside as and when you can towards a macro lens. Make sure you buy a true macro lens in the event.

Last Modified By Just Jas at 21 Aug 2010 - 10:14 PM
    alianar
    22 Aug 2010 - 8:51 AM

what macro lens do you recommend?

Overread
    Overread  63769 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Aug 2010 - 10:19 AM

To be honest there isn't a bad macro prime lens on the market at the moment (with the exception of a few of the 50mm options) so optically (image quality) wise you are quite free to choose any. The main factors are going to be your budget; the features of the lens; focal length.

Focal length is the one that gets the most attention (especially for insects) since the longer the focal length the more distance you have between the camera and the subject - making it easier to get shots of more jumpy/flighty insects. However short ranges also have their advantages (more chance to rest the lens of the lens on a surface).

The most popular (in canon and nikon mount) budget lens option is the Tamron 90mm macro however if even that pushes your budget there are 60mm options (For both canon and nikon) as well as the sigma 70mm macro to consider. Ideally the Tamron is easier to start with with the longer range - however if you're getting used to reverse mounts chances are short working distances are something you are getting more used to.

eric6
    eric6  6 Greece
    24 Aug 2010 - 10:39 AM

Great shot. What's the secret, I can't get anything to pose for me. Had a beautiful spider the other night but it ran off as I was trying to focus. Any suggestions greatful.
    Thanks
    SadSad

Metalhead
    Metalhead  61876 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Aug 2010 - 10:54 AM

Quote: would you reverse a lens and save money or pay more and get a special macro?

Why not do both? I bought the highly recommended Tamron 90mm earlier in the year and it's a fantastic lens. I've also experimented in reversing lenses too.

Once I'd had a play with the Tamron "as is", I bought the reversing ring to add the 50mm f/1.8 on to the end of the Tamron, which gives something like 1.5:1 instead of 1:1, and the best bit is you can still retain full control of the Tamron as it's mounted on the camera, so you can set the aperture and play with the depth of field!

Reversing one lens direct to the camera is a good method but you do lose control of the aperture etc. Reversing a lens on to another lens gives more control, but sometimes you have to be almost touching the subject to achieve focus. Not easy when the subject is a live creature.

I got my screw thread reversing rings off eBay from China, cost about 3 and took a week or so to arrive, but I wasn't in a rush for them...

ambrola
    ambrola  477 forum posts
    1 Sep 2010 - 10:48 AM

I have been trying this also, and I have a Micro lens and Kenko tubes. The DOF is so hard, you must stack the photos in slices in Zerene. Take about 6 shots, all of the subject covered in focus, and use this program. It is free to download for 30 days. You will never cover the whole insect or anything else without stacking the photos? Heres the site to get a 30 day free trial of Zerene.

http://zerenesystems.com/stacker/

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.