Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Eye-fi cards...any experiences and recommendations?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    saltireblue
    saltireblue Site Moderator 43922 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway25 Constructive Critique Points
    12 Jun 2013 - 3:24 PM

Has anyone used an SD Eye-fi card, and what do you think about it? Am thinking in terms of an alternative in studio scenario as an alternative to being tethered to the laptop with a cable.
    Will be used in a 5diii
    Is the fact that they all seem to be class 4 an issue?

Any pointers and experiences welcome.

Malc

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    12 Jun 2013 - 3:24 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Chrism8
    Chrism8  7745 forum posts England14 Constructive Critique Points
    12 Jun 2013 - 5:07 PM

Hi Malc,

That's exactly how I use one, the main thing is to shoot Raw + jpeg, make the jpegs the smallest possible to enable a quicker ping to your device and then edit the Raws later, make sure you set the Eye-Fi to only send the jpeg across, do this by going into its menu.

Chris

Graham_Rainham
    12 Jun 2013 - 5:35 PM

I use a Toshiba Flash Air card to do the same thing. Brilliant.

saltireblue
    saltireblue Site Moderator 43922 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway25 Constructive Critique Points
    12 Jun 2013 - 5:46 PM

Quote: Hi Malc,

That's exactly how I use one, the main thing is to shoot Raw + jpeg, make the jpegs the smallest possible to enable a quicker ping to your device and then edit the Raws later, make sure you set the Eye-Fi to only send the jpeg across, do this by going into its menu.

Chris

Cheers, Chris. I was going to have RAWs on the main CF card and only use the Eye-fi for small jpegs for instant viewing.

Quote: I use a Toshiba Flash Air card to do the same thing. Brilliant.

That's interesting, I have only seen adverts here in Norway for Sandisk...will go orf and have a little google, me thanks.

Malc

Last Modified By saltireblue at 12 Jun 2013 - 5:47 PM
    Andy_Cundell
    12 Jun 2013 - 6:57 PM

I went on a 'shoot' with my mate the other month (all the gear and no idea type of thing), we didn't get anything decent as we were playing with long exposure etc BUT he had one of the wifi cards and a tablet with him. I was very impressed with the way he could take, transfer then view straight away, pick up faults etc and take again!

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315370 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    12 Jun 2013 - 9:16 PM

Quote: Has anyone used an SD Eye-fi card, and what do you think about it? Am thinking in terms of an alternative in studio scenario as an alternative to being tethered to the laptop with a cable.
    Will be used in a 5diii
    Is the fact that they all seem to be class 4 an issue?

Any pointers and experiences welcome.

Malc

Why should class 4 be an issue, if your taking pictures in the studio you would be more likely to take all your pictures before viewing.

bppowell
    bppowell  122125 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
    12 Jun 2013 - 9:50 PM

I have used the Eye-Fi 8gb pro card at a few events and before that the Eye-Fi 4GB card and never had a problem. Sometimes we would be shooting for up to 8 hours solid.

The only thing I would complain about would be the bottle neck that would be created due to the volume of images being taken. At a ball we may take up to 1400 shots and at times it meant waiting a long while for the images to appear. It would sometimes take 15 minutes for the images to reach the laptop, by this time the students would had enough and walked off.

On the plus side it never lost an image.

Barry

saltireblue
    13 Jun 2013 - 5:49 AM

Quote:

Why should class 4 be an issue, if your taking pictures in the studio you would be more likely to take all your pictures before viewing.

I was thinking more of taking a shot, checking on the laptop and re-adjusting settings/pose/lighting or whatever wasn't quite right (if anything at all!) rather than batch downloading after the session.
    Transfer speed was what I was wondering about.

Chrism8
    Chrism8  7745 forum posts England14 Constructive Critique Points
    13 Jun 2013 - 5:56 AM

On the smallest jpeg setting, I would suggest the transfer speed is between 15 and 30 seconds

saltireblue
    13 Jun 2013 - 7:37 AM

Quote: On the smallest jpeg setting, I would suggest the transfer speed is between 15 and 30 seconds

Thanks, Chris...I can certainly live with that.

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315370 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    13 Jun 2013 - 8:21 PM

A lot will depend on the wifi card fitted, some can transfer both Jpeg and Raw, others allow the transfer of jpegs only, for viewing all you need is the jpeg and here your just talking in seconds.

saltireblue
    13 Jun 2013 - 8:33 PM

Thanks, Paul...we're talking only jpegs for image/detail checking purposes...that's a card added to the next shopping list then.Smile

Last Modified By saltireblue at 13 Jun 2013 - 8:33 PM
    LensYews
    LensYews  51304 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    19 Jun 2013 - 10:16 AM

Eye-Fi have announced a new card, the Mobi, which promises to be easier to use. I have an existing Eye-Fi, and the problem I have is connecting to the damn thing. It worked the first time, but as soon as I used it in another computer, and another camera, or switching my wifi back on the thing refused to connect. Workarounds with a direct connection were available, but I never found either particularly reliable. Let's hope the new simple version solves these kind of issues.

saltireblue
    19 Jun 2013 - 10:46 AM

Thanks, Stephen, I haven't bought one yet, so will have a look at the Mobi.

Malc

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.