Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Eye Fi SD Cards

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    bfgstew
    bfgstew  7668 forum posts England105 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Jan 2013 - 5:26 PM

Hi all, sorry for just dropping in and asking a favour.

These Eye Fi SD cards, has anyone used them and if so how good are they?
    What are the transfer rates, for say a full blown RAW image, down to a normal JPEG image?
    Reason I ask is I would like to be able to transfer images from my D200 to my laptop 'in the field' and rather than pay 600-800 for the Nikon wireless unit I thought these may do the job, at the fraction of the price. Is it to good to be true?

Thanks in advance.

Stewart

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    30 Jan 2013 - 5:26 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

brian1208
    brian1208 e2 Member 109963 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Jan 2013 - 5:57 PM

I've tried them on my canon 60D and didn't get much joy (difficult to set up, unstable and slow to transfer)

With the EM-5 I found a different story, easy to set up, stable connection via an ad-hoc network with my Asus Transformer Pad and fast with full res jpg. Deadly slow with RAW though

You really need to hear from someone who has the same system as you I think, as it seems from my limited experience to be system dependent as to whether it works well or not.

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214383 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Jan 2013 - 6:13 PM

Quote: Deadly slow with RAW though

Brian I think you can configure those cards to leave the raw file and only upload the jpegs.

Chrism8
    Chrism8 e2 Member 7729 forum postsChrism8 vcard England13 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Jan 2013 - 6:27 PM

I have mentioned before on many threads of a similar nature, from experience, the best way is to shoot Raw + jpeg, set the jpeg to the smallest possible file size, somewhere around 2mb, then they take about 20 seconds to ping to a Tablet

I use this option frequently to show a sitter, whats been shot during a portrait shoot, ideally when there's a break ( change of lighting / clothes etc ) gives the unit chance to catch up.

Cheers

Chris

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214383 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Jan 2013 - 6:30 PM

Quote: I have mentioned before on many threads of a similar nature, from experience, the best way is to shoot Raw + jpeg, set the jpeg to the smallest possible file size, somewhere around 2mb, then they take about 20 seconds to ping to a Tablet

Yep its all you need, it would be a waist of time uploading Raws to a tablet.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.