Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

EyeFi SD cards

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
lemmy
lemmy  61672 forum posts United Kingdom
5 Apr 2012 - 1:03 PM

Quote: photographer can shoot products or models and the results come up on a big screen instead of just the LCD on the camera's reverse.

Photographers have been doing that for a decade now in the studio, just via a cable. When I send stuff to my iPad, I just plug the camera in .Which is why I say, as do the makers, that the main purpose of the EyeFi is to replace the cable. As an observation, surely no camera used in a professional studio uses an SD card?

I didn't bring up the internet, I was responding to a remark about dongles.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
5 Apr 2012 - 1:03 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Pat_Stones
5 Apr 2012 - 2:40 PM

Are you really unable to see any advantage in doing without a cable when walking around an event or studio taking shots?

Quote: surely no camera used in a professional studio uses an SD card?

No that's right they don't ever. In fact there's no market for these kind of devices at all.

Quote: I didn't bring up the internet,

Yes you did. You were the first to mention it. I still don't see the relevance. Why mention it?

Last Modified By Pat_Stones at 5 Apr 2012 - 2:42 PM
patters
patters  91780 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
5 Apr 2012 - 3:16 PM

FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT

lemmy
5 Apr 2012 - 3:16 PM

Quote: Are you really unable to see any advantage in doing without a cable when walking around an event or studio taking shots?

My own studio work was always done on a tripod - hand held was regarded as busking Wink There are a few examples on my web site but I used do album covers, glamour and fashion as well. Admittedly I never covered events but I would assume you would need a long wireless camera>device range to be of use in most event spaces.

My question over SD cards was serious and was simply a question. I did not know there were professional cameras that used SD cards. If you tell me there are, I believe you. I am probably a bit out of touch here but all the stuff professionally employed friends use is CF as far as I know and I thought that was the professional standard.

A post before my internet remark mentioned using a dongle. Internet access is implied by the use of a dongle as it is (in this, as opposed to security sense) a 3g device used mainly for internet access. I think someone mentioned using the card to upload to facebook etc, too. Is that not internet use?

I can see good use for a wireless card but what is available seems lacking in range and speed, especially for uploading RAW files. What look like useful devices are the Canon WFT packs which obviate the need for an intermediary at all - the http mode looks to solve most mobility problems. Does make the photographer a bit of a puppet, though.

Pat_Stones
5 Apr 2012 - 4:23 PM

Quote: Internet access is implied by the use of a dongle

In my opinion it isn't. A dongle implies Wi-Fi and network. I wouldn't bother to mention it but do because it's an important point as potential purchasers need to be aware they can take a router and their cameras to events but there is no requirement to hook up any of the devices to the internet - it's irrelevant and I thought your mention of it only complicated matters for the OP.

lemmy
5 Apr 2012 - 4:40 PM

Quote: it's irrelevant and I thought your mention of it only complicated matters for the OP

Then I apologize for it since that was not my intention. I personally never saw the relevance of dongles but I think you would agree that most people associate dongles with 3g use even if you do not.

To illustrate my point, I searched on simply 'dongle' in Google. I only noted the first page but almost every URL served up was referring to broadband 'net access. Try it.

All this talk of dongles starts to send like a Julian Clary monologue. Enough already Wink

janeez
janeez e2 Member 51147 forum postsjaneez vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
5 Apr 2012 - 6:14 PM

Quote: it's irrelevant and I thought your mention of it only complicated matters for the OP.

There's nothing complicated about it for me so nothing to apologise for Lemmy Smile

Let me clarify the intended use for the Eye-Fi. For the evening reception at weddings I take candid and portrait shots of the guests. My colleague could now be sat at his computer receiving these images, putting them through photoshop and making them ready for guests to view and purchase either as prints or on a CD. We have the technology! Wink

This means I can continue to mingle with the guests without having to keep running back and forth with a heap of memory cards or wait for them to be uploaded. Not so much a time saver more to give us an edge and USP. If it seems a bit of a gimmick then OK because as gimmicks go this one seems pretty good.

Second reason is for studio work. So much easier to send these images directly to a laptop so the client can see the pictures first hand. We have done this in the past with a production line of memory cards and it is a time consuming task. Also we have had queues of people waiting to see their images when we did this on a charity night so anything to make life just a tad easier. Smile

Pat_Stones
5 Apr 2012 - 8:50 PM

Quote: There's nothing complicated about it for me so nothing to apologise for Lemmy

In that case I shall apologise for chastising Lemmy.

I had mistakenly thought when he said "The dongle connects your computer to the internet but the EyeFi cannot connect to the 'net without a router. So they cannot talk." then told you about the 1000 Canon device to which you replied "I'll get my walking boots on!" he had put you off the idea of the Eye-Fi and its suitability for your purpose.

Chrism8
Chrism8 e2 Member 7729 forum postsChrism8 vcard England13 Constructive Critique Points
6 Apr 2012 - 10:11 AM

I've used one for a couple of months now, having tried / fiddled / experimented etc, I've found the best options for me are to set the camera to record a 2mb Jpeg + the full Raw file, the jpegs ping to a Motorola tablet in about 25 seconds, The Raws to make their way eventually but the jpegs still ping as quick.

I use the Eye Fi 8gb Pro card as I did initially want the raws to ping across, but it takes to long before the portrait sitter sees the image,

I then run throu the images taken so far with the sitter during a break in shooting / change of clothing etc.

Cheers

Chris

Last Modified By Chrism8 at 6 Apr 2012 - 10:13 AM
janeez
janeez e2 Member 51147 forum postsjaneez vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
6 Apr 2012 - 5:00 PM

Good info Chris. Has it helped you with your work, not made any difference or been an expensive failure? Wink

I hate spending money unwisely!

patters
patters  91780 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
6 Apr 2012 - 5:41 PM

I got my one yesterday, set it up to FTP to photo box wirelessly tethered to my phone. Had it down the pub last nite and it worked a treat. Went to see a freind today and took a few pictures. Came home and decided to try the direct iPad feature. When I plugged the card into my mac, it kept mounting/unmounting continually launching iPhoto, at some point I took the card out and bingo, all pictures are lost.
Admitidley they may be gone because of the untimely unplugging, although the other folders on the card are still there, but in all my time using digital cameras, I have never lost a picture like this.

Cheers
Pat
ps. A dongle used to be the term for a piece of hardware, typically with a parallel port plug on it, used in conjunction with software so the software would not run withough the dongle present. Used to prevent illegal software copying

Chrism8
Chrism8 e2 Member 7729 forum postsChrism8 vcard England13 Constructive Critique Points
6 Apr 2012 - 6:57 PM

Quote: Good info Chris. Has it helped you with your work, not made any difference or been an expensive failure? Wink

I hate spending money unwisely!

It's certainly helped, the models have been impressed that they can see the last shot within 30 seconds or so and it helps the session somewhat that if the model see's they look good they gain confidence.

Cheers

Chris

lemmy
6 Apr 2012 - 7:13 PM

Quote: A dongle used to be the term for a piece of hardware, typically with a parallel port plug on it

My brother used to run a electronic circuit board etching machine via a CAD program casting about 3,000 that could only be used with a dongle in place. It used to drive my brother mad because in order to run other programs he had to remove the dongle. Eventually another company came out with a similar software that didn't require a dongle.

The first company was put out of business rapidly. It was ironic how the use of the dongle was both the saving grace of the first company in saving it from piracy but also the reason for their demise.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.