Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

f/ stop query

31 Mar 2009 12:56PM
i've notised a few things about the f/.. as i thought it, it's a case of the higher the number the more in veiw (feild of depth?) but.......

f4 at distance gives plenty in focus, whilste close up on say 180mm f/22 sometimes gives a 2 inch in focus region..then other times close up f/8 or 9 does a similar thing?

ok, at a couple thousand yards i was thinking f/4's 'depth' would probably cover more ground due to the distance of things in ratio to the lens its self, e.g. 5 rows of houses at 20 yards on onwards should be a hi f/.. but veiwing at a thusand odd yards its distance would apear (in the lens dimentions) as maybe one street.. or even just as a matter of a few yards so it'd 'be in focus'..

the other was light, the darker it is the more crutial the f/ would be, as in the lighter it is the more you can see and the less crutial the aperture?

can some one put this into terms and exsplain it.. is it me? a lens interface thing? etc etc?

after edit... the smaler the aperture obviously the 'darker' it is so a longer shutter speed/higher ISO needed.... does that affect the depth of veiw?
(and should the image be that shitty on a hi f/ number? seems on some shots its very crutial to just getting a desent image....)

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Henchard e2
9 2.7k 1 United Kingdom
31 Mar 2009 1:01PM
newfocus e2
8 644 2 United Kingdom
31 Mar 2009 1:03PM
31 Mar 2009 1:13PM
hmmm nicely put thank you...
66tricky e2
8 742 Scotland
1 Apr 2009 4:24PM
XxPaulxX e2
8 260 England
5 Apr 2009 7:27AM

Quote:Hmmm nicely put thank you...
I think you might have mis-interpreted Henchard, his link is to a tedious explanation, he wasn't referring to your post.

Just check out the dof calculator and vary the settings, this will give you a good idea of depth of field at certain apertures and certain focal lengths and distances to subject.

Paul

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.