Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Facebook Gets An Instagram Kicking

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    lemmy
    lemmy  71768 forum posts United Kingdom
    12 Jan 2013 - 3:10 PM

It seems Instagram has lost half its users since its attempt to hijack user's content. Figures show 16.35 million active users on the day before the announcement, 8.42 million now.

Among their sins was saying that content supplied by under 18 year olds would be deemed to have had parental consent to use of their material unpaid and unasked in ads.

Facebook's market launch was a disaster, a quick way to lose investor money, now this. He may have come up with the idea for Facebook but he seems a disaster as a businessman.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    12 Jan 2013 - 3:10 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
    12 Jan 2013 - 3:38 PM

Quote: It He may have come up with the idea for Facebook but he seems a disaster as a businessman.

....an extremely wealthy businessman, nevertheless!

The rumour mill seems to be suggesting that the Instagram debacle was a calculated risk to try to assess the impact such a policy might have if it were implemented on the main Facebook service.

User_Removed
    12 Jan 2013 - 3:46 PM

That would make sense...

arhb
    arhb e2 Member 72144 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom67 Constructive Critique Points
    12 Jan 2013 - 5:57 PM

Quote: It He may have come up with the idea for Facebook but he seems a disaster as a businessman.

....an extremely wealthy businessman, nevertheless!

The rumour mill seems to be suggesting that the Instagram debacle was a calculated risk to try to assess the impact such a policy might have if it were implemented on the main Facebook service.

That sounds like the ulterior motive to me also.
    I think in time, that the facebook bubble will burst when something new emerges,
    and those at 'facebook towers' are already thinking of ways to make as much as they can, as quickly as they can, before the cracks start to appear..

lemmy
    12 Jan 2013 - 6:01 PM

Quote: and those at 'facebook towers' are already thinking of ways to make as much as they can, as quickly as they can, before the cracks start to appear

One of them cashed in shares worth 120m this week. I don't care though, money won't make him happy. It won't, will it? Someone tell me it won't Sad

arhb
    arhb e2 Member 72144 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom67 Constructive Critique Points
    12 Jan 2013 - 6:14 PM

I hope he/she shares it, in the same way that facebook is so keen to get everyone sharing whatever,
    or maybe he/she cashed in because he/she's had it with sharing Smile

User_Removed
    12 Jan 2013 - 6:37 PM

(No Lemmy! Wink )

lemmy
    12 Jan 2013 - 7:32 PM

Thank you, Mike. I shall sleep tonight now Smile

User_Removed
    12 Jan 2013 - 7:39 PM

Quote: and those at 'facebook towers' are already thinking of ways to make as much as they can, as quickly as they can, before the cracks start to appear

One of them cashed in shares worth 120m this week. I don't care though, money won't make him happy. It won't, will it? Someone tell me it won't Sad

As someone once said, "Money won't necessarily make you happy, but you are better being unhappy in a Ferrari in Monte Carlo than in a Hillman Imp in Hull.

dwilkin
    dwilkin e2 Member 724249 forum postsdwilkin vcard United Kingdom
    12 Jan 2013 - 8:35 PM

I'd like the opportunity to run the experiment for myself, please...Tongue

User_Removed
    18 Jan 2013 - 7:15 PM

Oddly enough, one of the co-founders of Instagram was at my son's housewarming party in San Francisco last weekend and was extremely upbeat about the prospects.

Here is their latest update:

Privacy and Terms of Service Changes on Instagram

Our community has grown a lot since we wrote our original terms of service. To get things up to date for the millions of people now using Instagram, we’re bringing you new versions of our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.

Here are a few key updates:

Nothing has changed about your photos’ ownership or who can see them.
    Our updated privacy policy helps Instagram function more easily as part of Facebook by being able to share info between the two groups. This means we can do things like fight spam more effectively, detect system and reliability problems more quickly, and build better features for everyone by understanding how Instagram is used.
    Our updated terms of service help protect you, and prevent spam and abuse as we grow.

This is just a small preview. Our new Privacy Policy and Terms of Service will be effective on January 16, 2013.

We know these documents are a little dry, but they’re very important. Please take a moment to read through them so you keep feeling comfortable sharing your beautiful photos on Instagram.

Update: Updated Terms of Service Based on Your Feedback

arhb
    18 Jan 2013 - 7:33 PM

If you believe that, you'll believe that the Facebook Graph Search works - the big advertizers did.

Last Modified By arhb at 18 Jan 2013 - 7:34 PM
    lemmy
    18 Jan 2013 - 9:12 PM

Quote: Please take a moment to read through them so you keep feeling comfortable sharing your beautiful photos on Instagram

My son, a lawyer, read the new conditions....he felt no-one should feel comfortable. Instagram lost half its users as a direct result of the new conditions. Are they all ignorant? One of the most notable things about these massive new companies like Google and Facebook is that they see ordinary people as simply fodder to their greed and ambition.

Anyone who who is interested in history should compare them to the East India Company. As the French say, la plus ca change, la plus c'est le meme chose.

Still, they have told users that their photos are beautiful (oh wow! All of them? Thanks you so much!), the equivalent of tickling a cat under the chin or patting a dog, so that's all right then. How could anyone mistrust someone so kind and complimentary, even if they are a multi billion dollar enterprise that makes Tecco look like a charity.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.