Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Facebook uploads

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    julesm
    julesm e2 Member 101696 forum postsjulesm vcard United Kingdom7 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Jul 2012 - 4:58 PM

As with many wedding and social photographers, I like to use my Facebook page to promote and publich my imagery and the uploads have always looked fine. However, I loaded about 20 images last night, only to find the uplioaded files look graining, blotchy and suffer colour bleed. Has anyone else found similar?

Jules

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    16 Jul 2012 - 4:58 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Fishnet
    Fishnet  94976 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Jul 2012 - 5:02 PM

Yes, mine never look right on FB, did you try the HQ option? That helps a bit. It's due to the compression software FB use.

julesm
    julesm e2 Member 101696 forum postsjulesm vcard United Kingdom7 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Jul 2012 - 5:30 PM

I thought as much, but has it changed? I'm sure my older uploads look fine?

Fishnet
    16 Jul 2012 - 8:05 PM

I found a good article about how to optimise photos for FB the other day, I'll see if I can remember it ....

Fishnet
    16 Jul 2012 - 8:09 PM

Here it is.....

julesm
    17 Jul 2012 - 7:49 AM

Thanks Ill give those recommendations a go.
    However, I'm a bit confused, if I'm resizing an image by pixels, why do I need to bother about pip/dpi?

julesm
    17 Jul 2012 - 8:40 AM

Ppi not pip Smile

Fishnet
    17 Jul 2012 - 10:15 AM

I think he was just using it as an example of how much 'damage' is done to the photo after FB have messed about with it, just for posting on the net you don't need to worry about dpi

Sabreur
    Sabreur  8767 forum posts England
    17 Jul 2012 - 10:21 AM

I agree, it makes no difference what ppi/dpi you select. If you read the comments at the bottom of that article the photographer doesn't seem to get that it is irrelevant. Just because FB changes the number in that metadata item, it makes no difference to the number of pixels which is what FB will work with to resize if it needs to.

I haven't tested it, but would bet that if you upload a file at, say 1200 x 1800 set at 300dpi and then downloaded it from FB which had changed it to 1200 x 1800 at 72dpi the two files would be the same at 100% in Photoshop or when printed at the same size.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.